The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Boarder/Snowboard cross

Poll: like it?
Total Votes: 16
yes
no

I’ve heard a lot of people bashing this side of snowboarding (maybe they feel the same towards it as I am towards rail). I personally like it and find it fun to watch. I think many people also make the mistake thinking that it is an easier aspect of snowboarding compared to others, which it is definitely not (e.g. halpipe, jumps, backcountry, etc.). What are your opinion?

Love Boarder Cross (One word or two… can’t remember)

Slightly annoyed that the Olympics had the nerve to just change the name to Snowboard Cross because it suited them better michelle
I’m hoping they figure out that people aren’t budging on calling it Boarder Cross and change it back for the Russian Olympics.

I actually wish that it would play a bigger part in Snowboarding because it’s great fun.

Keeping in mind that I knew basically nothing about snow sports or snowboarding when the last olympics was on, boardercross was the absolute highlight of the winter olympics for me. It was one of those events that had the whole family glued to the TV.

I’m looking forward to the next olympics as I will have much more appreciation for the actual snowboarding and skills involved.

Andy Aitken - 05 November 2012 04:26 PM

Love Boarder Cross (One word or two… can’t remember)

One.

When it was first invented, it was “boardercross”, and that’s what it still is today - regardless what the ski nazis at the FIS have to say.

I love it. Why not. Whats more fun and pure about snowboarding than smashing down all sorts of terrain trying to beat your mates to the finish line?

Cheers Chucky, I thought it was one, but it just looked wrong for some reason when I wrote it.

And yep, can’t argue with that K2.

I’ve been into it for a while, but got right into it this year. My Burton board won’t cut it anymore and I’m looking to pick up a SBX specific board soon.

Looking at the Kessler range: http://www.kessler-swiss.com/en-US/products/snowboard/theCross

or something from Oxess: http://www.oxess.ch/english/snowboards/snowboardcross/index.php

If anyone has any first hand experience with the above please let me know.

This pic is called: F++K the Wutang

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 05 November 2012 11:02 PM

I love it. Why not. Whats more fun and pure about snowboarding than smashing down all sorts of terrain trying to beat your mates to the finish line?

My thoughts too. Looks fun and is fun to watch.

Is that you competing AJ? Where was this?

I love riding boardercross tracks but I’ve never had the chance to compete. I’ve only raced gates.
I’ll be trying to get into competitive BX in the future, but not sure where to start. It seams to be only interschools and Pros around Perisher.

I love it. So competitive and so different to what we usually see in videos etc. Those guys are incredibly skilled and they put their bodies on the line to get the win. I’m a fan.

Andy Aitken - 06 November 2012 03:29 AM

Is that you competing AJ? Where was this?

That was at Perisher in August. The big event is at Hotham. Anyone can enter, just gotta be a member of FIS.

http://www.skiandsnowboard.org.au/customdata/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_main&ItemID=12044&OrgID=2083

Tried the boardercross at Blackcomb a few times last season and for me it’s pretty hard once you start going “fast” over those rollers and bumps and that’s not even fast compared to what these guys are going at (+ they’re doing it on hardpack-icy conditions based on what I saw on videos)

It was at Perisher?? What the hell was I doing? lol. I worked there all season and didn’t even hear about it.

Oh well, it’s on for 2013!

I like it, I wish it was bigger over here. They had tracks everywhere I went in Canada. Heaps harder than it looks as well.

Snowboard cross is pretty cool. Not as cool as those tricks they do in the park at freeride competitions though!

not boardercross, but I’m mulling the idea of entering the big banked slalom comp they have here. Winner gets an entry into the mt. baker banked slalom. need to learn how to carve first though….