The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2012 / 2013 - The Community Blog

Great I see snow down to the village, have been seeing nothing but pictures of snow in the village and stoked Facebook updates from people over there. Fingers crossed that it continues over the coming days as the temps look to be staying down so any precipitation should lead to snow up the mountain.

Hey everyone,
This thread inspired me to join the forum.
I’ve been in Whistler for a while now so if anyone has any questions that are more along the lines of car insurance (getting discounts through drivers abstracts from Oz), filing for residency, visa extensions, that sort of thing.  I might have a few short cuts here and there that might save a little money or at least some of your shredding time.

Hey btrilz,
If you get a cleaning job with pro-ride snowboard camps then they will give you coaching once you get up to speed.  I cant remember off the top of my head but its only around 1 day a week cleaning so it might fit in with your other job.
Hit me up if you want more details.

Hey WSSC, welcome to the forums! cool smile

It sounds like you’ve been over there for quite a while. Do you mind if I ask how long you’ve been over there and what you do? I wonder if I know you.

I’ve done five seasons over there since the 2005/2006 season. Unfortunately I won’t be heading back this season, but next season is on the cards for sure.

Anyway, my question is regarding residency. My girlfriend is a Whistler local and we have been together for almost four years now. We went through the painstaking process of getting her residency in Australia and I am pleased to say she is now a permanent resident. However I am fast approaching 30-years-old and I know I need to get my Canadian residency sooner rather than later. To be honest I don’t know much about the process but I have heard some horror stories, even from married couples! Any advice you could pass on would be most appreciated.

just pop the question, you bum! then residency becomes easy

Yeah, ya not 20 anymore!!!!!

Gamblor - 22 October 2012 04:04 AM

just pop the question, you bum! then residency becomes easy

I’ve heard it doesn’t necessarily make things easier. We know couples who struggled to get residency even though they were married. Michelle and I can easily prove our ongoing de-facto relationship, but there’s more to it.

yep - for australian residency, being married makes the process no different, and adds no weight to your application. good luck with it!

Is michelle a canadian resident? and in the bahamas?

Hey
Its starting to look pretty awesome out here! How often do they open early? I’m so impatient lol

Got a question about housekeeping jobs, does anyone know what hours they typically are? Is it a 4 day week? Or depends on the company?
I’ve got a job offer housekeeping at the four seasons, has anyone worked for them ?
Sam dance

Hey rider26,

My first season was ‘99/‘00, been here most seasons and a few summers.  I’ve coached snowboarding for the most part but have mos deaf slept in an over priced sauna and cleaned toilets.

Your still able to get a work visa right? Up until about 2 months before you turn 31 you can apply.  That is leaving it pretty dam close though.(i’d double check though)
Having a job here with a letter from your employer is a bonus with the residency.  I’m sure you have the bank statments, names on leases with your spouse to prove living together and all that stuff so its just the filling out of the forms thats a pain.
You can apply from with in Canada but the process takes longer around 11mths - you can leave Canada during this time but are not garanteed getting back in (should be fine on a work permit).  If you dont get let back in then you have to re apply from outside of Canada, new forms, pain in the ass, explaining why you were denied entry etc.
Apply from outside of Canada and its about 7mths but there is more paperwork that goes into it but you probably have all the info from the oz one.(work history etc)
Also your GF has to provide sufficent income to support you for 3 years.(why working looks good)
You also have to show intention to reside in Canada, but thats just answering questions on forms, not a psych exam.

There’s loads more info but your best bet is to start reading this
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/index.asp?q=sponsorFam#sponsorFam
and shoot me questions when you get stuck on the crazy wording.

Sam

I havnt worked for the 4 seasons but have been a night auditor.  As a rule people dont check out till 10am and check in at about 4ish so that might eat into riding time.  Not sure about how many days a week.
I would ask about night auditor positions.  You’ll have to get linen ready for the housekeepers for the next day, get calls cause people cant find plates or cups (it ill be in the dishwasher) unclog dunnies, that sort of stuff.  Bonus is youll be able to ride everyday.  It just messes with the body clock a little.

Hope this helps, sorry bout the novel.

Luke

WSSC,

Thanks a lot for that, Luke. The last two seasons I was on a working visa but didn’t use it, as I was working for myself (Boardworld is my fulltime job). Before that I was on a sponsorship visa, instructing with Whistler Blackcomb. So yeah, I guess I’m self employed now so that could pose a problem. Anyway, I’ll look into that link you posted and I’ll let you know if I have any questions. Do you think it’s worthwhile speaking to an immigration lawyer? I guess it’s also hard as we’ve never really stayed in Canada for more than like seven months at a time. I will definitely look into my options.

Crazyeyes27,

The mountain can often open early if there is sufficient snow. Most seasons I’ve been there they opened early. It just depends on the cover. Pray for snow!

cords,

Michelle is a Canadian citizen and a permanent resident of Australia. Nothing for the Bahamas but they are quite welcoming from what I understand. I don’t think you need a work visa or anything to live there. I may be wrong but it sure seems that way.

rider

I dont think the self employment will be an issue.  I’ve got lots of friends that have been through the process as couples and i’m in the waiting stage.  None of us have used lawyers unless they have been denied entry to Canada.  Just print out the checklist and slowly start chipping away at it.

Im told by friends that under some humanity legislation the CanGov can’t refuse you as commonlaw but its a grey area about income.  If you guys havnt been on any Gov hand outs in the last 10 years then you should be fine. 

I think they will be happy that you are self employed and boosting their economy.
You might have to stay in Canada for a few years but hey, get a couple of toys and the time flys smile

Hey

Rider26 - I just applied for my residency through my canadian girlfriend! I was self employed also wasnt a problem, your missus has to be earning a minimum amount a yea (I think about 20kish). It definitely takes a while to do all the paperwork!

If you have any Qs post away..

Crazyeyes27 -  My sister worked for 4 seasons room keeping last winter. She used to get a vairiety of shifts. Some day some evening some early morning.. They pay quite well for whistler $16/hr I think and they have a great staff canteen! You have to be prepared to deal with some very anal guests and managers though! When people are paying $800/night they expect perfection!

Follow me on twitter for lots of info on doing a ski season

Thanks for all the advice and info everyone, really appreciate it!

For people who have been there before - when can I expect to start working regularly/ get my first pay cheque? My job orientation is December 1st - will I get my first shifts close to this date?

btrilz, you should start getting shifts straight after you finish your orientation/training. As long as the conditions are good and visitors are coming to Whistler, I would assume you’ll get shifts straight away.

Thanks for the advice, WSSC and rideonwhistler. Michelle looked into it previously and our concern was the amount she had to earn (she works Ski School and it’s seasonal) and the fact that we have to stay in Canada for years at a time (which is impossible at the moment). Anyway, I’ll let you know how it goes. I’m sure I have a lot of reading to do.

Looks like you have to put her back on the payroll Jez!