The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2012 / 2013 - The Community Blog

At a guess I’m going to say that’s to the left of the Peak to Peak heading down to sidewinder?

Under a month to go until whistler yeeeew

finney - 17 October 2012 08:36 AM

At a guess I’m going to say that’s to the left of the Peak to Peak heading down to sidewinder?

I’m pretty sure I took it in Glissando Glades area, kinda near symphony chair if I can remember correctly. Either way, it was a ton of fun

ahh yeah I got you now, one of if not the greatest areas out at symphony

Hey Everyone,
I got a job at Blackcomb working ski/snowboard rental… oddly enough I have only been skiing a handful of times but would prefer to learn snowboarding while I’m out there. Is there anybody in this forum who has worked at blackcomb before that could let me know if there are any staff discounts on lessons? I’m pretty set on wanting to learn to be an avid snowboarder so would you suggest just buying a board myself or maybe start by renting?

Are a lot of the new staff beginners to the sport or will I feel like a total newb?  thanks guys!

Welcome btrilz! And Congrats.

I am sure Finney (and others) will have heaps of advice for you!

I have done a few seasons with people who had NEVER seen snow before. I suspect you wont be the only one.

Also I have done seasons with people who have swapped - so there will be newbs that way as well I am sure.

Every resort I have worked at (besides Australia!!!) have offered at least a couple of free lessons of any level.

Others may have a different opinion BUT having worked in rentals before we used to have the pick of the boards to rent for free. I suggest you do that at first and try out heaps of boards. I will put money on the fact that even if you bought a board now you will want another during the season! I would hold out if i were you.

As Oz said, working in the rentals department should give you massive discounts or free rentals on their boards.

Try to pick up the demo boards when you can and find one you like. Feel free to ask up on here for opinions if you like a few different ones and once you have made up your mind, buy it then smile.

1 word of advice is to buy your boots before the season. Nothing worse than sticking your feet into someone else’s sweaty boots and then going out and finding they don’t fit well. The board you can adapt. The boots you can’t.

Welcome to Boardworld, btrilz. cool smile

I assume your job is with Whistler Blackcomb?

You will find staff members of all different levels. The key is to just have fun and work on your own progression. You will progress really quickly spending a whole season in Whistler. It’s such an amazing place so just enjoy the whole experience.

If you are working for the mountain I believe you get free lessons. I know this used to be the case, but just ask and they will let you know. At the very least it will be at a highly discounted rate.

Enjoy your season and keep us up to date in this thread! shaka

Lessons are still free when you’re working for the mountain apart from the really busy times like christmas new year etc as snow school is generally completely booked out at those times with the sheer volume of visitors.

Just confirmed on the WB website - “Free group lessons available when space allows in the right ability level”. With all lessons over there now they have the new Max4 lessons which was introduced last season - “Max4 is Snow School’s newest approach to improving your skiing and riding. No more than four people per instructor means you get more of what you want - mileage, attention, value. It’s simply the best way to maximize your time on the mountains.”

There’s more info on discounts and benefits of working for the mountain here - http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/frequently-asked-questions.aspx

Hi guys!
Newbie here smile
I’m in whistler now job hunting, can’t wait for the winter to start!
Sam ollie

Welcome to the community, Sam! shaka

Cant wait to look at this thread throughout the season and then cry myself to sleep LOL

10 Days until I fly out! cannot wait. What is the snow situation looking like?

The first snow fell yesterday that wasn’t just on the peaks. You can’t see much grass on the trails looking up from creeside . Jump on the Whistler blackcomb Facebook page hey posted some photos of the village yesterday.

First snow in the village.