The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

OS trip advice

Looking at a trip back to the UK early in the New Year (Feb/March). Was thinking I would meet the missus on the way back in either Japan or North America.

We are both higher beginners/lower intermediates and if we went to Japan I’d be keen on some culture also.

Never done a boarding trip before so after some recommendations where, USA, Canada, Japan etc. Looking to board for about a week or so.

We are in NZ

Cheers

If it’s Japan and culture, I’d choose somewhere on the main island over Hokkaido!!!!! 

I’m heading to Nozawa Onsen my self this feb, as they reckon it’s a slight step in that direction!!!!!

All depends on how far off the beaten track ya wanna go, and how many days ya wanna sacrifice in travel I guess?????

Havin said that, the moment ya step off the plane in Tokyo ya know that ya no longer in Kansas anyways!!!!!

Japan is a great place for a short trip. If you’re only going for a week, why go all the way to North America and experience jetlag etc. for the for first few days. I’d suggest Japan; no jetlag, easier to get there, awesome snow and a real cultural experience. Look into Hakuba. It’s on the main island and a short bullet train from Tokyo. I really enjoyed my time in Tokyo and Hakuba. There’s also several resorts surrounding Hakuba, so you will be spoilt for choice. You could potentially ride a different mountain each day and they have an awesome shuttle service going to all the resorts.

Yeah I agree Nagano region would be great for a stop over. But honestly it depends on your flight and which airline works best for you.

There may not be flights to the UK that are convenient via Japan.

The thing with the US is that there are a lot of bargains to London via the US (and depending on the airline give you more luggage allowance!)

If cash is a concern keep your option open and go with the cheapest solution.

Otherwise Yes Japan is a a great stop over especially if you never see your self making a separate trip there!

ozgirl - 16 October 2012 05:40 AM

Yeah I agree Nagano region would be great for a stop over. But honestly it depends on your flight and which airline works best for you.

There may not be flights to the UK that are convenient via Japan.

The thing with the US is that there are a lot of bargains to London via the US (and depending on the airline give you more luggage allowance!)

If cash is a concern keep your option open and go with the cheapest solution.

Otherwise Yes Japan is a a great stop over especially if you never see your self making a separate trip there!

AirNZ does flights to the UK that go via Tokyo that arent too much more than going via the states. CAn I see myself going on a separate trip at some point, for sure , same ot the states but this was a way of trying to squeeze some fun into the end of a trip over there and to allow the missus to fly out from NZ and meet me there (which would suggest Japan would be better).

Taking the board and gear all the way to the UK could be a pain in the arse unless I could leave it in a hotel in Tokyo somewhere, maybe.

Out of interest why Nagano rather than the more famous Niseko - connection times or save that one for a later longer trip ?

Land at 6am and you can be boarding by mid morning!

Land at 6am looking at a couple of hours lay over before a flight to sapporo plus a 2hr bus ride to Niseko.

Globe - 16 October 2012 09:21 AM

Taking the board and gear all the way to the UK could be a pain in the arse unless I could leave it in a hotel in Tokyo somewhere, maybe.

Out of interest why Nagano rather than the more famous Niseko - connection times or save that one for a later longer trip ?

You may be able to store at a hotel (providing you stay there and organise it with them beforehand) but on your way back it will also greatly depend on which airport you stopover at as Narita isn’t exactly close to central Tokyo so could be a pain to pick it up on the way back.

Maybe you should look into the Takkyubin service who offer courier+storage services.

Niseko more famous???  I’d suggest a combination of transfers and your request for culture has led to peoples recommendations of a resort in the Nagano area. If you’ve never been to Japan before I’m sure you will find culture in either place but it’s probably more abundant in areas other than Niseko.

Typically you would catch a domestic flight for Hokkaido where as you can train/shink/bus/taxi/drive to the Nagano area.

You said that ya wanted culture!!!!!

While Niseko will give the snow that’s continually heralded as the best on the planet, Hokkaido is a relatively young part of Japan in terms of historical value!!!!!

There is a fair bit about the Ainu (I think they’re called that) the indigenous peoples of Hokkaido, but in comparison to the main island of Honshu, it’s not regarded as ancient Japanese for the culture side of things!!!!!

And yeah, I reckon there would be tons of flights to and from the UK to Japan!!!!! I’d guess more than from Aus or NZ!!!!!

I’m actually checkin out the resort town of Nozawa Onsen for a bit of the cultural side of things this feb, along with a stint to Niseko for the pow, and Tokyo along with Kyoto too!!!!!

Yeah there is prob heaps of flight out of Tokyo, but remember one of the journey’s he is going to have to have a lay over in Tokyo - that may not be that convenient (for whatever reason)

You could look at a RTW ticket.

I am going SYD - Frankfurt - San Fran - SYD at Christmas for only $2800. Heaps cheaper than a Europe return or US return.

I’m sure there’ll be flights into/out of either Kansai for Nagano (spending time in Kyoto), and Chitose (time in Sapporo) if he decides to go to Hokkaido instead?????

True. But smaller airport more chance of more on the ground time waiting for a connection.

So if I said culture was not an issue which would be best for our level of boarding do you guys think ?

I’ll defo spend a coupe of days checking out Tokyo on the way back.

Hukuba is def more convienant.

I would go to Niseko IF you could get an international flight into sapporo (which then takes out the Tokyo option)

(thinking of the gf here)

Oh and is she okay travelling alone in a place like Japan (i think it is fine but i know friends who wouldn’t go on their own - just something to think about)

ozgirl - 17 October 2012 08:08 AM

Hukuba is def more convienant.

I would go to Niseko IF you could get an international flight into sapporo (which then takes out the Tokyo option)

(thinking of the gf here)

Oh and is she okay travelling alone in a place like Japan (i think it is fine but i know friends who wouldn’t go on their own - just something to think about)

shes done indo by herself and is happy to do india alone after we went there together so I reckon Japan would be a breeze compared to those two.

Good to know!!

One less thing to think about!

Japan itself is pretty daunting when you first arrive if you haven’t done any/many asian countries before. Seeing as she as gone to Indonesia by herself before, she shouldn’t have too many issues with Japan.

Might be best to book a transfer from the airport to Hakuba anyways. I jumped on at the airport and they took us all the way on the bus. Might not be as awesome as getting on a bullet train. But I didn’t have to try and get directions the second I got off the train.