The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Power Balance (hologram technology)

For those of you who haven’t seen them yet, Power Balance make rubber wrist bands with two holograms, which they claim to improve balance, strength, and flexibility. I know quite a few people who wear them and they tell me they think it works. Several big name athletes also wear them and while they all say how well it works, but you never know how much they are getting paid to wear the bands.

I have seen them available in sports stores and now snowboard stores. Basically the Power Balance claim is…

“Power Balance is performance technology. Power Balance holograms are embedded with frequencies that react positively with your body’s natural energy field to improve balance, strength, and flexibility.”

They sell for approx $60 and I’m going to buy one soon to see for myself. If it does what it claims, well then it’s $60 very well spent.

Have any of you used Power Balance? What do you think? Does it work?

I will give my review once I can honestly say it works or doesn’t work.

http://www.powerbalance.com.au

I’ve been intrigued by these for a while now. they’re certainly being used by a LOT of pro athletes. Footballers, surfers, BBallers etc. I kind of thought the same thing as you about athletes being paid to wear them, but there’s just so many of them wearing them, they can’t all be getting paid, surely.

I have to admit though, I’m a bit skeptical. I’ve read the theory behind them, and I just can’t swallow it. But with so many pro athletes wearing them, they can’t all be suckers can they? :S

In the end, I can’t see myself paying the $60 for one, just because other people are doing it. I guess if a mate of mine gets one and he recommends it, I might give it a go, but I’ll wait and see.

I’ll let you know how my experiment goes.

I still think its a placebo. This is just the new take on magnetic bands..

here in japan, about 8 years ago the rage was negative ion bracelets and necklaces.  Then after that came something called Phiten (not sure if that’s the brand name or what) and now those hologram things. Famous people just wear them because they are sponsored or they are just as gullible as the rest of us.
I tried one on last week and didn’t notice any difference. Maybe I need to have it on longer, or I need to spend a lot of money on one so that I become desperate to justify the cost.

$60 is an expensive experiment!

I would rather try this:
http://www.sleeptracker.com/

edit: just read throught the power balance link and it’s just negative ions LOL it’s all just repackaged and rebranded. Instead of old ladies buying pink plastic bands, now it will be young people

edit edit: save your money and just buy a couple of this plant: Sansevieria aka mother-in-law’s tongue aka snake plant. It releases negative ions into the air. Put them in your bedroom.

ha ha ha ha ha

bullshit you need an alternating electric field to induce the ions to flow.

hc__davos - 14 June 2010 09:54 AM

bullshit you need an alternating electric field to induce the ions to flow.

whats bullshit?
the bracelets or the plant?

HA HA HA tongue laugh

yeh i think they might be a bit of a placebo, wearing a couple of holograms on your wrist wont do much. and im a bit curious how negative ions actually flow through the rubber which makes up the rest of the bracelelt?

I wouldn’t pay $60 for that… seems like a total waste of money.

if u have a negative ion meter you can see that the plant emits them. How this affects you is well…? I had 5 of those plants in my room a few years ago when i was doing lots of yoga but I didn’t notice anything.
those negative ion bracelets were $5 near the end of the boom, so $60 is a rrrrrrrripoff!

A mate of mine who is a pro surfer wears one and I asked him if he reckons it works?  He said it works for the guy who buys them from China for $1 a bracelet and sells them here to suckers like him for $60.  As for making him more balanced, I don’t think that will ever be an issue for this guy.  He reckons it is crap but chicks always ask him about it so he keeps wearing it.

totally placebo effect.
If you’re easily fooled, and fork out $60 for these things, then they might just appear to work.
Interesting point:
If these were priced at $5 a pop, then I think that less people would get a positive result because at that price, more people would be sceptical, therefore less placebo.

shredder - 16 June 2010 05:48 AM

He reckons it is crap but chicks always ask him about it so he keeps wearing it.

hahaha that is gold!

i guess surfing would be easier with the bracelet than holding a plant raspberry

I’ve tried out a bracelet but didn’t notice any differance. I reckon it’s just a placebo