The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Childrens jackets/pants - waterproof

I am looking for young childrens gear that is waterproof and distinctive.  I have 8,6 and 4 year old year old boys who spend a lot of time on the mountain skiing and snowboarding.  They currently have Burton pants and jackets that are great for warmth but aren’t great from a waterproof point of view.  Given we spend a fair bit of time at Buller this is important!  Last season they often came in fully soaked by the end of the day (there was alot of rain last season!).

Having looked around it is hard to find a brand that does good waterproof kids gear.  The main US brands don’t seem to fixated on waterproofness because I guess it doesn’t rain at US resorts.  I also like to get a distinctive color so I can spot them on the mountain, ie something not blue, black or red.  The 3CS designs are great but I don’t think they do kids gear.

Does anyone have any inspiration for me?

Cheers

In the seven years I spent working in a snowboard store, I never saw real waterproof kids gear. Nearly all the kids gear is 5,000 waterproof, if you’re lucky. I guess there’s just not much of a market of 20K or Gore-tex kids gear. It’s probably worth trying some camping and hiking stores too. They seem to have a large range of Gore-tex and similar outerwear.

Gore-tex do make kids outerwear but I’m not sure where you would find it in Australia. Check out the Gore-tex website for their range of kids outerwear: http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/kids/outerwear/performance-shell

The only snowboard brand I know of doing 10,000 waterproof kids gear is DC. Check out there range of kids outerwear here: http://snow.dcshoes.com/products/category/kids/outerwear/jackets/helix-k/

10,000 is pretty good in most conditions and it will keep them dryer for longer. If there are riding a lot and constantly getting wet, it’s probably worth finding and buying some kids Gore-tex outerwear. I’ll see what I can find out.

It might be worth getting in touch with Gore-tex directly to find out which retailers carry kids outerwear.

Australia Freecall 1800 226 703

Thanks, that has been my experience also, nothing above 5000mm. The Burton gear is about 3000mm but is shot in half a day of Buller rain.  Poivre Blanc do kids gear with 12,000mm rating but my kids don’t like the “look” of it (and neither do I).  Will check out goretex.