The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

New Goggles

So I’ve got some Electric EG1’s, which are about 3-4 years old. Anyway, the foam is all coming apart, so I figure that’s a good excuse to get some new ones.
One thing I really like about the Electrics is that they come with 2 lenses, and you can change them over depending on conditions (I think makes a big difference)
Also I ride with a Giro helmet, so gogs that fit that well would be choice.
Any suggestions?
Is the spherical thing really that good?

best advice you’ll ever get: go to a shop with your helmet and try on as many goggles as you can. buy the pair you like

If you want spare lenses look at the Dragon DX. Best value for money goggle in my opinion. $150 including ionised (mirrored) and amber lenses. They work really well with helmets, come in lots of different colours, and they look sick! I have been using them for years and I highly recommend them. I’ve now switched to the Dragon Rogue - main difference is the Rogue has a spherical lens and doesn’t come with spare lenses. They run between $160 - $200 and they are awesome.

I’m not saying any of the above because they are a sponsor of Boardworld. I was using Dragons for many years before that, just because they make awesome goggles.

In regards to spherical lenses - I have been using a regular curved lenses for years and never had any issues with distorted vision. You do get exceptionally good vision with a spherical lens, but I’ve always felt I get practically the same with a curved lens.

Never tried the rogue goggles but I got some pairs in the mail today.
Four pairs of GiGi Ruf signature model signed by the man himself!

Electric EG2 - I love em, massive spherical lenses

IMO the best goggles for you will be the one that fits you and your helmet the best. You can be assured if you stick with the top brands and something in their middle to top range, you will be assured to have an awesome pair and lens. Smith, Spy, Dragon, IS Eyewear, Electric, VZ, all be sweet. But the best optics imo would definitely be Oakleys with HI lens.

Get some scott $15 goggles from the Cooma BP and they will fog in 15 minutes…

Now thats quality! (Had someone tell me last year that Scott make quality goggles… I have yet to see anything but Sub-Par quality)

ive been using Anon.

i find they sit better with my helmet

Hey, I got Electrics, too.

For the life of me, I can’t figure OUT how to exchange the lenses! They came with rose-colored ones and the stock mirrored ones, and I just never bothered exchanging them.

So please help me, since I’m clueless and don’t want to ruin them.

Giro also make goggles that fit perfect with their helmuts. The manifest goggle has 2 lenses and probably the easiest way to swap the lenses out.

I’ve been sticking with Dragon Goggles.  Fit really well with my helmet, and take a real beating before they give up or start to disintegrate.

I rode with the Smith I/O’s for a full season and love them to bits, the lense changing is super quick and the visibility from them is amazing, great peripheral vision compared to any other goggle I’d used in the past so I’d highly recommend them if they fit you.

I’ll 2nd what gamblor said about taking your helmet with you aswell.. don’t want to end up with a shmick set of goggles that won’t work with your helmet.

Thanks for all the info guys!

worldtripper - 11 June 2010 08:12 PM

Hey, I got Electrics, too.

For the life of me, I can’t figure OUT how to exchange the lenses! They came with rose-colored ones and the stock mirrored ones, and I just never bothered exchanging them.

So please help me, since I’m clueless and don’t want to ruin them.

Pop the lens at the top of the lens where it meets the frame (pull the frame up away from the lens). The frame should pop off the top of the lens, then just continue popping the frame off going down the sides and towards the nose. Then just pull the lens out.

When putting the lens in, do the exact opposite. Start at the nose, clip it in (make sure it’s snug in the nose section), then work your way around, up the sides, and finishing at the top.

yea, i’ve been using Dragons for few seasons now, and seem to be doing job just fine.. and as previously mentioned come with two lenses.. and cheaper than others.. so works ou quite well in the end

I borrowed some Oakley’s from a friend for Japan last year. I found them quite good to be honest. Periphial vision wasn’t bad and it did the job of blocking out glare without fogging up.

I wouldn’t mind finding some rose tinted ones. I’ve had rose tinted sunnies from Oakley for years and they are awesome.