The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Photography Contest - SoHe 2010

nice snowcrazy! it actually looks not bad, would say it was a k2 gyrator

still wanna see f@tonys skills haha

You make a point haha

more appropriate?

Slash, Coronet Peak 11/7/2010

SICK!  cool smile

Nice shots! wish I was back there again this season!

Tezwahdo, not sure what camera you are using but your photos are too warm (in colour) - your white balance is out. Might want to make sure it’s not stuck on Shade or something which will make photos more warm. If you’re able to shoot RAW (NEF for Nikon/CR2 for Canon) images, you can fix it very quickly and easily in photoshop/lightroom/whatever you use when doing JPG conversion.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the tips, I’m using a 500D. I have a bad habbit of not noticing when I have left the white balance on the wrong setting. Those were shot in RAW so I will put them back into light room and see what I can do smile Again thanks for the tips! P.S only just started with this whole photography thing so any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Oh by the way some of my posts were shot a couple of years ago using an old Canon Ixus point and shoot and were not edited at all in post.

Cheers

if you’re shooting in raw it doesn’t matter what you set your white balance to. Just keep it on auto and adjust it in post.

Gamblor - 17 July 2010 05:46 AM

if you’re shooting in raw it doesn’t matter what you set your white balance to. Just keep it on auto and adjust it in post.

That’s what I do. AWB all the time.

I hesitated switching to RAW for quite a while, cause I was never really confident about the editing process. The first time I decided to make the switch, I shot in JPEG + RAW. Got my CR2 files into DPP and freaked out at the level or adjustment you could make in post. Never shot another JPEG from then.

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 15 July 2010 12:36 PM

still wanna see f@tonys skills haha

Thanks K2_SnatchCrewSader but with great photoshoping skills comes great responsibility.  If I use it too much, everyone everywhere will start doubting the validity of all photos. smile

Mizu Kuma - 17 July 2010 09:49 AM

Oh and nice shot fmf + excellent touch up crazy!!!!

Cheers, love photoshopping, that was only a quickee tho!

Mizu Kuma - 17 July 2010 10:51 AM
snowcrazy - 17 July 2010 10:47 AM
Mizu Kuma - 17 July 2010 09:49 AM

Oh and nice shot fmf + excellent touch up crazy!!!!

Cheers, love photoshopping, that was only a quickee tho!

Ah, you girls and ya photoshopping!!!!

If it contains “shopping” then I’m awesome at it haha

Anyway back on topic, I’m gonna be doing a bit of a photoshoot in August with a friend at Perisher in one of the Terrain Parks. Can’t wait, will be my first shoot!

Tez, Ok so at least you have a DSLR, thats a great start to getting some awesome photos.

My main tips:
* Shoot on the lowest possibly iso you can set your camera to. Canon’s noise looks like a paint factory exploded on your photo. I used to shoot canon, and this is one of the primary reason i switched away. This will also give you the largest possible dynamic range in your photos.
* Dial in +1 to +1.5 exposure, look at your histogram after taking a shot with some snow and sky in it - you want the peaks almost at the top, but without any flat sections. Flat sections at the top mean you’ve blown your highlights. Flat sections at the bottom mean you’ve filled your shadows too much.
* Get a nice fast shutter happening, at least 1/1000 for moving people. Faster is better, as you’ll freeze the movement more in order to get a sharper picture.
* Make sure the sun is behind you, this will make your rider get lit up rather than being a dark shadow - don’t be afraid to move around, lie down, stick your camera on a poll (fotony wink ) or whatever. Avoid a tripod as it will cause you to look at the shot you can make with it, rather than be more creative.
* Have fun.

To fix white balance in CameraRaw (photoshop) or lightroom, just grab the white balance dropper and select a bit of snow that isn’t in shadow. Your camera is seeing too much blue in the picture so it’s going ahead and adding in lots of yellow to try and make it grey. Canon’s lightmeters are not very smart on any of their models, their new “full colour” is totally fudged to be full colour, not really R+G+B but RG + GB layers which creates some “interesting” results. If you’re out on a blue sky day, just set the white balance to the little sun. If you’ve got clouds, put it to the cloudy icon.

Also, i believe your LCD on the 500D is set to “always on” - turn this off, it drains your battery faster than the cold ever could. Use the info at the bottom of the viewfinder, everything you need is there.

Seeing Double
Mt Hutt
18/7/2010

Arc
Mt Hutt
Rider: Li Penghuan
18/7/20010

Mark Harris - 17 July 2010 12:31 PM

* Dial in +1 to +1.5 exposure, look at your histogram after taking a shot with some snow and sky in it - you want the peaks almost at the top, but without any flat sections. Flat sections at the top mean you’ve blown your highlights. Flat sections at the bottom mean you’ve filled your shadows too much.

Mark has got some pretty good tips except he meant high bars on the right edge are blown highlights and high bars on the left are saturated shadows.

SICK photos f@tony!