The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Trip Report: Mud’s Hotham 2012 Trip Report

Great work MH

I love the logo you put in your product reviews haha shaka

Great TR MU

Looks like you had a fantastic time!

TJswish - 24 July 2012 07:16 AM

You could tell at the start of your daughter boarding that she was a skiier first. She was leaning towards the tail of the board which causes you to fall over (though 95% of beginners do this whether they are skiiers or not)

By the end she was looking heaps better.

On your style, your carving was fine, the only criticism would be that you are throwing your back foot a bit (probably less than I do lol). And as you said you need to bend those knees more. It will give you more confidence and allow you to turn smoother and go faster. Going fast is all about fear tolerance and ability to stop. I found the best way to go fast is to start going fast and try to spray snow in front of you (quick stops) once you get them down pat you’ll be happier to go faster as you know your stopping ability will save you.

On the whole, you look like you’re riding very well and those SA videos are only going to help you in the future. (Getting Inverted?)

Great Trip Report and a fantastic read. I know it’s probably off the cards but if you move your September trip to the shred, you’d have all of us to ride with and I’m sure your skill level will improve quite quickly with all the hints and tips people throw around! smile

Thanks, TJ.  Damn, I hate seeing people shoving their back foot around.  I didn’t realise I was doing it.

Thanks for tips on going faster - will give it a try.

I would absolutely love to be there for The Shred.  Will check out dates and accommodation and see if there is any possibility to attend.

antisense - 24 July 2012 09:30 AM

Great work MH

haha sweet, I wondered if anyone noticed those wink

drc13 - 24 July 2012 09:51 AM

Great TR MU

Looks like you had a fantastic time!

thanks, DRC, it was pretty fantastic.  Now to work on the wife for a September trip…

Epic TR mate, well done!

Epic TR… So we can learn something from this kinda report.
I always wondered what Hotham looks like to compare what we saw Falls Creek last year…
Footage on the road way to snowfield looks bit hazardous… big surprise
I was bit puzzled about your jumps in footage stating 1cm, 2cm, 5cm and 10cm, I think your measurements e.g. 1cm should be 10cm or 100mm and I can see your last jump making 100cm or 1m… Does it make sense to you?
I’m in 40’s father of 3 kids and I’m going teach my youngest son to learn snowboard… He’s so excited…
Last word before I go… Gotta love your rating logo on product reviews…

Nice report. I liked it a lot (although I didn’t read the product reviews, I prefer the riding parts of trip reports).

- its really hard to tell if you are washing out all the time if you film with a pole cam, lots of people wash out when they first start using them, even if they are normally quite decent at carving.

- can you do those spins on flat ground both directions? that could be the next thing to try, or try it while doing the tail press at the same time grin

- That lesson for your daughter sounded less then ideal unfortunately. I hate when they do that, they should have gone out of their way to accommodate her, it wouldn’t have hurt to get another instructor for her, surely. Short sighted of them. Physically I doubt it matters that she is a girl, as I understood it, girls are actually more advanced growth wise at that age then boys are, its not until a bit older then that, that boys take over in terms of strength and size….I know two 7 year old girls that snowboard quite well. Who knows, if she had been in a group with kids her own age, she may have been the best in the class and come away feeling like she was great and loved snowboarding as a result. Oh well, she can always change her mind later smile

- Looking forward to your next report!

Mudhoney - 24 July 2012 11:09 AM
antisense - 24 July 2012 09:30 AM

Great work MH

haha sweet, I wondered if anyone noticed those wink

hahahaha - I’m a bit slow!! That is GOLD!!! LOL

silent - 24 July 2012 11:33 AM

Epic TR… So we can learn something from this kinda report.
I always wondered what Hotham looks like to compare what we saw Falls Creek last year…
Footage on the road way to snowfield looks bit hazardous… big surprise
I was bit puzzled about your jumps in footage stating 1cm, 2cm, 5cm and 10cm, I think your measurements e.g. 1cm should be 10cm or 100mm and I can see your last jump making 100cm or 1m… Does it make sense to you?
I’m in 40’s father of 3 kids and I’m going teach my youngest son to learn snowboard… He’s so excited…
Last word before I go… Gotta love your rating logo on product reviews…

Thanks mate. The sizes of the jumps were a bit of a joke at my own expense as I was too chickenshit to tackle anything big.  I’m pretty sure I never got a metre of air on that last one.

CRACKERS - 24 July 2012 11:46 AM

Nice report. I liked it a lot (although I didn’t read the product reviews, I prefer the riding parts of trip reports).

- its really hard to tell if you are washing out all the time if you film with a pole cam, lots of people wash out when they first start using them, even if they are normally quite decent at carving.

- can you do those spins on flat ground both directions? that could be the next thing to try, or try it while doing the tail press at the same time grin

- That lesson for your daughter sounded less then ideal unfortunately. I hate when they do that, they should have gone out of their way to accommodate her, it wouldn’t have hurt to get another instructor for her, surely. Short sighted of them. Physically I doubt it matters that she is a girl, as I understood it, girls are actually more advanced growth wise at that age then boys are, its not until a bit older then that, that boys take over in terms of strength and size….I know two 7 year old girls that snowboard quite well. Who knows, if she had been in a group with kids her own age, she may have been the best in the class and come away feeling like she was great and loved snowboarding as a result. Oh well, she can always change her mind later smile

- Looking forward to your next report!

Thanks for the feedback, it’s really helpful.

I did feel like I was washing out a lot of my turns. Not sure what I was doing wrong, might need to get a lesson.

Yeah I can do those flat spins both ways but weaker on the frontside. 

I agree about the lesson. I was actually told by one of my daughters ski teachers that she has some athletic ability so it’s pretty disappointing to see her put off like that. I got the feeling the instructor was following instructions to push to a certain level by the end of the day and he did that despite the kids not being ready for it.  Will see is she’s keen for another ride maybe just with me.

I went back and looked at the reviews…the logos were mint!

Great TR!

added some durations in the text above each video, as I’ve noticed not all the vids are being viewed.  Make sure you check out the telemarkers - those guys were awesome.

Hey Muddy !!!!!!

You forgot to mention the looks we were getting when I was calling you Honey when out riding, the strange looks stopped after I started calling you Muddy cheese

Was awesome fun riding with you. Just wait until next year when the shred is at Hotham, then you really get the stoke when your riding with a big heap of BW crew.

Will have to teach you how to do nose and tail press 360 spins.

Awesome report mate, super impressed shaka