The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

South Korea?

Has anyone done a snow trip to South Korea?

Am thinking of possibly heading there this summer thinking maybe a week in Japow then a week in South Korea.

Would love to hear from anyone who’s got any experience.

Damn!

If you had of asked this last week I would have asked the south Korean guy I gave a ride to on the weekend!

He is here for the season - hitches up the mountain each day and staying at the backpackers. It was an awkward drive home - hard to have a convo with him!

have heard good reports - but always worth an adventure no matter what happens!

thread revival

i will be spending a week in korea in feb before niseko japow…boarding 2 days while in korea

anyways looking at yongpyong - where the 2018 winter olympics will be (apparently)
the korean address are tongue twisters but i think ive got it
130 Yongsan-ri, Daegwalnyeong-myeon Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do, South Korea

-do = state
-gun = region
-myeon = suburb
-ri = street

Sweet.

Keep me updated as to how it goes. Doesn’t look like I’ll get there this summer.

I’m looking at doing YongPyong on the way to Whistler in Jan. Vancouver via Korean Air, with a stopover in Seoul are the cheapest flights I can find so far. Go figure?!?! Humdingaling, do you speak Korean? I’ve been told that no one really speaks English there, so getting around is going to be interesting. Have you dont any research on how to get to the resort from Seoul?

yeah its cheaper via seoul because they pick up all the locals and everyone else in central hub so can maximise flights outwards
its the same way that jetstar makes everyone goto sunshine coast

nah only korean i know is to say hello LOL

yeah i heard the same about English…though ive been told you can get around with chinese (which we can speak/read)
we can also ask our friends husband for help…his korean….so our bases are cover…sort of

you get to yongpyong via bus in central seoul
http://www.yongpyong.co.kr/eng/trans/tr_sbus.asp

if your not staying in seoul…bus to meet up point for connecting bus to resort
http://www.yongpyong.co.kr/eng/trans/tr_abus.asp

its 4ish hours from airport to resort…..2.5 hours from seoul…there abouts…traffic pending

lift tickets here
http://www.yongpyong.co.kr/eng/ski/rates01.asp

when looking for accomo….make sure you get the one near yongpyong and not dragon park…they kind of in the same area…..you will what im talking about when you start looking…region search Pyeongchang

around 50-60 bucks night seems reasonable rate…which is pretty good imo

I’ve actually been to Korea a few times for snowboard competitions.  They make great parks and pipes but they don’t get the snow like Japan.  Not even close.

They are getting the Olympics after Russia so investing a heap into their ski resorts.  However, Korea is awesome just to travel in rather then go snowboarding.  Seoul is so different to Tokyo and worth checking out.  Gets bloody cold!  DMZ is also very interesting to check out.

JD

yeah only going for a stop over before JAPOW… definitely going to be getting some Seoul food on

DMZ = De militarised zone?
heard about that..wouldnt mind….a bit far away ...i think the girls just want to be shopping sick and its 5 vs 2…no way ill win that argument

Howd you find the language barrier? english no good?

Yep food is really good.  I love Korean BBQ more so then Japanese!  Language barrier is ok in Seoul but getting out of there and even at the ski resorts can be tricky.  I think with how western Japan has come especially at the ski resorts, it’s easier to get by without any language but in Korea you tend to do a lot more pointing!

Defo a cool place to visit.

Definitely prefer me a Korean BBQ over Japanese

yeah japan snow…no issue
most signage has english

love me some remon squash now

haha!  that’s why we love Japan!  hilarious!

There are a few Korean BBQ joints in Japan anyways?????

I was lookin into Korea as an option, but the snowfall stats didn’t really get me amped!!!!!

I would still like to go check ou the country one day though!!!!!

was referring to the style of BBQ
there a lot of some cross over though

1 difference….japanese dont do spicy as well or good as Korean

but main difference for me the korean side dishes you get (banchan)
which is basically like kim chi…bean sprouts..potato salad.whatever the shop has in at the time…usually free!

im pretty sure you wont be getting free side dishes in Japan when in korean bbq joints

korean’s also like to wrap in lettuce after grilling which is something you wont find in japan (lettuce is too expensive !!! LOL)
hence my preference to korean BBQ

anyways by the time i get to japan…ill be all korean bbq’d out
LOL

Japan = Ramen Time!!

yeah not really going for the snow in korea..its much more an experience thing
it just so happens seoul to sapporo is super cheap (airfare wise)

Korean air SYD>ICH>CTS with stop over
was like extra 200 bucks to add CTS to itinerary

So misses is happy she gets to shop and eat in Korea
i am happy to get some JAPOW in

WIN WIN there

super stoked managed to hook up with some mates who will be in Niseko at same time…also made the accommodation hunt so much better

so WIN WIN WIN