The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Trip Report: Mud’s Hotham 2012 Trip Report

Dude, epic tr!!! Love it!!!

cords - 24 July 2012 02:52 AM

Great TR, mudhoney! really enjoyed reading it and like your style of writing a lot. Thanks for going to the effort & sharing with us!

No probs - I had to do something with all that GoPro footage!

bracer - 24 July 2012 03:04 AM

Agreed! Thats a solid effort to put all that together ... excellent!  bty Mud, I’ve got my 9 and 7yr old onto boards this season!!  Just having a bit extra trouble convincing the wife to get a board….  hmmm

Hey nice!  I don’t reckon there’s any way I’ll get my wife onto a board.  I might give my daughter some encouragement in a year or two, but she came away thinking snowboarding was hard.  I guess it’s difficult to drop back to rank beginner in something when you’re already decent at something similar.

blizzard_22 - 24 July 2012 03:14 AM

Dude, epic tr!!! Love it!!!

Glad you enjoyed it, Blizz.

Awesome TR Mud!!! Love it - very easy to read! shaka
Looking forward to the next slide with ya!

Mate, what a solid write up!!!!!  shaka

Glad the FLUX’s were to ya likin!!!!! They will suit the Tasmaniac fine also!!!!!

Mrs Mizu, and my two girls were skiers as well!!!!! (Mrs Miz struggled at the start, but encouragement and persistence paid off) Now they will never go back!!!!!

And my eldest daughter could absolutely hammer on skis!!!!! She says that she just has more fun on the board!!!!!

have to wonder what you meant about little girls not being able to snowboard when they are small….why not?

cords - 24 July 2012 04:22 AM

have to wonder what you meant about little girls not being able to snowboard when they are small….why not?

Well I wonder why Hotham had the age limit set at 8 last year then dropped it to 6 this year - not enough people filling spots in the boarding school?  I remember reading last year that the reason for setting the limit at 8 years was to do with muscle development.

I am just basing this on my observations about how much my little one struggled on her first day on the board vs first day on skis.  She had been very keen to try boarding but she found it much harder and came away pretty much put off boarding, which I think is a shame.  Observing others in the class, the older kids definitely did better as the day went on.  It was not meant to be a sexist comment, but girls of the same age are typically not as strong as boys and I am speculating that maybe 6 years for some girls might be too young.

What an epic trip report! So well documented. Great work mate! shaka

oh for lessons, I see. I think the key is letting them ski first…you can see with the popularity of scooters these days as opposed to skateboards…kids learn to ride a scooter and its easy and fun and a skateboard is so much harder so not many of them give it more than a passing go, as it is so much more effort.

I think all little girls CAN ride snowboards, you don’t have to be strong - you just have to want to!...but if you let them ski first then not many of them will be that keen to give it a proper go….see evidence of ozgirl at her age - it is so much easier to get all around a resort riding skis, so why go back to the magic carpet & the pain of falling over all the time just to ride a snowboard?

I guess it all comes down to how keen both you and they are to do it.

I have friends who have a 3yr old girl and 5 yr old boy and they got them both tiny snowboards for this season! (80cm and 90cm!). The vid I saw of the little girl is just about the cutest thing I’ve seen. The older boy at 5 was doing front valley, no problems!

Yeah that’s fair, cords.  She did get some enjoyment out of it, it was just the constant pain of falling and effort of getting up each time and the fact that they pushed the pace pretty aggressively in the lesson.  I’ll encourage her to have another go, but I’m not going to force the issue.  Maybe if she sees how much fun I’m having she’ll be keen smile

rider26 - 24 July 2012 05:01 AM

What an epic trip report! So well documented. Great work mate! shaka

thankyou, sir.

Billy - 24 July 2012 04:14 AM

Awesome TR Mud!!! Love it - very easy to read! shaka
Looking forward to the next slide with ya!

you bet!

Mizu Kuma - 24 July 2012 04:15 AM

Mate, what a solid write up!!!!!  shaka

Glad the FLUX’s were to ya likin!!!!! They will suit the Tasmaniac fine also!!!!!

Mrs Mizu, and my two girls were skiers as well!!!!! (Mrs Miz struggled at the start, but encouragement and persistence paid off) Now they will never go back!!!!!

And my eldest daughter could absolutely hammer on skis!!!!! She says that she just has more fun on the board!!!!!

thanks, Miz.

I’m actually thinking of picking up some other softer binders for the Tasman if I can find some decent ones cheap.

Yeah, I totally agree that boarding is more fun - that’s why I do it.

You could tell at the start of your daughter boarding that she was a skiier first. She was leaning towards the tail of the board which causes you to fall over (though 95% of beginners do this whether they are skiiers or not)

By the end she was looking heaps better.

On your style, your carving was fine, the only criticism would be that you are throwing your back foot a bit (probably less than I do lol). And as you said you need to bend those knees more. It will give you more confidence and allow you to turn smoother and go faster. Going fast is all about fear tolerance and ability to stop. I found the best way to go fast is to start going fast and try to spray snow in front of you (quick stops) once you get them down pat you’ll be happier to go faster as you know your stopping ability will save you.

On the whole, you look like you’re riding very well and those SA videos are only going to help you in the future. (Getting Inverted?)

Great Trip Report and a fantastic read. I know it’s probably off the cards but if you move your September trip to the shred, you’d have all of us to ride with and I’m sure your skill level will improve quite quickly with all the hints and tips people throw around! smile