The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

And the award for the most hated vegetable goes to…..

Poll: What is your most hated vege?
Total Votes: 20
Brussel sprouts
Broccoli
Celery
Peas
Artichoke
Something else?

Sooo was picking the celery out of a casserole my mum very kindly made and it got me a wonderin’ - what is the one vegetable that you just can’t stand? I’ve put a vague selection of ones I thought might get votes in the poll but feel free to vote “something else” and reply with your own!

Artichoke is right up there for me but my overall vote goes to celery. Strong taste that tends to permeate the other stuff around it! Even tiny bits I can’t stand!

Haha!

Love it - i really dislike most veggies! Even in winter I would much prefer a salad to accompany my meal.

Funny that you choose celery cords! It goes in most stocks soups and sauce! It is the first thing you are taught at chef school! Basic Mirepoix as it teaches knife skills as well.

I love celery especially with French onion dip!

Peas. Gross!!!

From Wikipedia
A mirepoix ( /m??r?pw??/ meer-pwah; French pronunciation: [mi?pwa]) can be a combination of celery (either common pascal celery or celeriac), onions, and carrots. There are many regional mirepoix variations, which can sometimes be just one of these ingredients, or include additional spices. Mirepoix, raw, roasted or sautéed with butter or olive oil, is the flavor base for a wide variety of dishes, such as stocks, soups, stews and sauces.

I love all those options except for the brussel sprouts .... I’ve got to give an honorable mention for a close second place for disgustingness to Egg Plant ...eewww

I used to love Brussel Sprouts as a kid, then went off them . Cooked cabbage yuck!

But recently they have come back on the menu, more braised than boiled. a bit crunchy and sometimes with a bit of bacon fat. Yummo!

But yeah I am with you Blizz, peas i don’t eat to be polite!

Or Zucchini!

Unless it is deep fried in batter!

Used to love Zucchini chips i got from a restaurant in London. And i love zucchini flowers!

Actually I think it is the boiled to an inch of their lives that i don’t like! (sorry mum, your are an awesome cook except for vegies!) Its all about the texture for me!

I quite like celery. I’ll eat any vegetables but I voted for Brussel Sprouts. So bland, yuuuck!

Yea sprouts are up there for me. I’d say Tomatoes if they weren’t fruit as they make me sick :(

Also not a huge fan of beetroot.

TJswish - 02 July 2012 03:32 AM

Also not a huge fan of beetroot.

And you call yourself an Aussie!!!

I don’t like beetroot either. I don’t touch it. I’m pretty bad with veges, really. I’m with you, oz - I prefer a salad any day.

buttt roast potato and roast pumpkin are all time.

I love pretty much every veggie. Especially the ones people listed above as dislikes LOL but brussel sprouts arent that great. dont hate them, just not a big fan

Peas would be a close second, but I have never liked brussell sprouts. The smell, taste, and texture are all just wrong to my tastebuds

cords - 02 July 2012 03:42 AM

I don’t like beetroot either. I don’t touch it. I’m pretty bad with veges, really. I’m with you, oz - I prefer a salad any day.

buttt roast potato and roast pumpkin are all time.

Hate pumpkin! (don’t mind puree for soup)

Love sweet potato though! Totally different textures!

I also hate cooked mushroom. Don’t mind it fresh in a salad. Nor puree for soup.

Love the smell of it cooking and think yum when someone put a big mushroom under a grill with cheese and garlic and chilli. Smells divine but textually can’t do it!!

I hate most veggies!!! I don’t like pumpkin at all unless it is soup or pie!!!

I do though like snow peas!!!

Can we add herbs to the list as I can’t stand coriander, if I find or taste it in food, I will no longer eat it. Filthy horrible devil weed it is! But as for veggies I pretty much like them all but on that list Brussel sprouts would be my least liked

im fine with most veggies
i dont like collard greens though….only one them cooked one way…..just taste like m00sh

cooking methods ruin peoples perception on things
do not like the artichoke in soups but like them marinated in salads…go figure

love the coriander
Was sad when there was a coriander shortage recently at GYG (tacos)....just didnt taste the same