The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What ever happened to the ‘Do Not Call’ register?

I registered our phones on the ‘Do Not Call’ register when it was launched.

I thought it blocks your number from telemarketers or restricts them from call you?

Why do we still receive telemarketing calls every single day? It’s so annoying! mad

Please give me answers or vent your rage in this thread.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR rage

What was ya number again?????  smirk

If you get calls from out of the country by third party telemarketers i think they dont really care about the rules?

I have done various things whilst on the phone to them in the past (pretending i was fighting my missus, pretending i was in the middle of sex, try sell them things back) and now i dont get called at all!

We used to get ones that want you to sell raffle tickets for them.

Just used to give my mates name and address, was so funny when he used to whinge about getting all this stuff in the mail LOL

We get calls for everything! Every day. It’s painful.

Just got one from a local pest control company wanting to check for termites.

A friend of a friend used to say - of yes I am very interested I am just going to grab a pen… and walk away from the phone, never to return.

I registered years ago but not for my current number - never got an unsolicited call on it. Not sure why not.

My land line isn’t plugged in, therefore don’t get calls. smile

everytime they ring, ITS A MUST to play games/pranks etc. on them!!!!  cheese

I’m getting around 3 calls a week from the fecking scammers from “Microsoft Technical Support”  teacherboy

bracer - 02 July 2012 08:07 AM

I’m getting around 3 calls a week from the fecking scammers from “Microsoft Technical Support”  teacherboy

Please hold, I’m currently compiling my Linux Kernel

A guy at work got them the other day, and went into the No Speaka The Good English Routine!!!!!

Whenever the dude mentioned Windows, he told him that when his windows were open, the wind came in!!!!! And when they were closed, no wind came in!!!!!!

LOL

haha funny as we were only talking about these scumbags today, i receive at least five cold callers a day at work. so i googled how to deal with cold callers haha i jacked this from the site:

.  On answering the phone tell the caller that you’re not the best person to talk to and ask them to hold while you go and find someone. Put the phone down and continue with whatever you were doing. After a few minutes they will no doubt give up, as it’s costing them phone time.
2.  If it’s to do with house improvements, such as double-glazing, sound very interested and let them waste loads of time telling you all about the features. Sound as if you want the ‘deluxe’ version of anything they’re offering - then, right at the end when they discuss payment, casually say that “Oh, you’ll need to talk to the council about that, because this is rented accomondation.”
3.  Tell them you’re doing a survey on ‘cold calling’ and would they mind if you conduct an interview with them. Say it will only involve approximately 30 minutes of their time and they don’t have to answer any of the personal questions if they don’t want to. If they persist and agree to your interview, start off by asking them if they ever suffer personal abuse and/or people slamming the phone down on them. Ask what was the worst thing anyone ever said before slamming the phone down. If they get so far as to give you an answer, repeat it back to them and slam the phone down!
4.  Wait for them to say what they are calling about, then reply in a monotone voice, “I am a model T-100 voice activated digital assistant robot. How may I assist you?”
Then, whatever they reply with next, say “I am sorry. That statement does not evaluate. Please re-state your aim and intention.”
Repeat until they get fed up and hang up.
5.  Sound interested to their initial introduction, then half way through their second sentence exclaim, “Aggghhhh. Nooooo. The bright lights, the little beings are returning. Noooooo. They’re coming back for me. Aggggghhhhhh”
Then hang up.
6.  Wait for them to say what they are calling about, then say in a concerned voice, “Hello!”. Then, whatever they say, start butting in saying, “Hello. Is this phone working?”, “Hello. I can’t hear you!”, “I don’t think this phone is working” or any other ‘broken phone’ type messages, before saying something like “Weird huh!” and hanging up.
7.  Be as awkward and obtuse as possible. Sound interested in their suggestions, but return every question with another question, which is as ‘impossible’ as you can imagine. Thus, if they ask if you want double-glazing reply with, “Ah yes. I’ve been meaning to install that. The only slight problem is that I have circular windows approx 8’ in diameter. Can you quote for that?”
If they ask if you want their energy (gas/electricity etc), reply with something like “I have a thermal gas injection ioniser here - Model 134hY-5fn4-b and would like to know if you can interface with its primary energy converter.
To use this line of response, requires some flexibility in you being able to think up obscure questions to ask back in response to every question they put forward. Eventually, they’ll give up, as time is lost sales to them.
8.  Apologise for sounding a bit upset but explain that your dog/mother/auntie/friend/pet goldfish etc has just been killed in a car accident/grain silo/hit and run/terrorist attack etc and you’ve only just returned from the morgue after having to identify the body/remains, and that now is a really bad time to call you. If they persist (unlikely) pretend to burst into tears before shouting, “You complete ba**ard!” down the phone and hanging up.
9.  Explain, in a very matter of fact voice, that you have complained to the authorities about suffering from harrassment from cold callers and you are now preparing a log of all unsolicited calls to your telephone number. Ask them for the registered name of the company they are calling from, their name, telephone number and whether or not this is the first time they’ve called this number.
If that doesn’t scare them off, ask them what the best time to arrange for a legal representative to call at their premises and interview their section leader is.
10.  Get BT to enable ‘Anonymous call barring’ and ‘Caller ID’ on your line, invest in a caller ID unit and don’t answer the phone to anyone you don’t know. [my personal solution]

I was hanging out with my nanna one day when she fielded one of those calls, it was about roof restoration. She asked them when they thought they might be able to come around and give their “free quote” and they said “one day next week - how does that sound?” and she replied “ooh, I dunno - I might be dead by then!” and hung up.
hahahaha

12 months and I believe you need to reregister your number.

Not for profit and charities are exempt and can still call when you are on the register.

My record for messing with the mind of one of those Indian “I’m from Windows OS tech support” scammers is around 80 minutes - constantly referring to the Mac ONLY aspects of my computer, before finally getting bored with it.

game set match