The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Donating Blood

So i was sititng at the blood bank this morning after donating and looking at all the companies that they have on their board that regularly give blood… that got me thinking… I wonder if they do something similar for Social Groups etc….

Would this be something Boardworld and its members would be part of… do we have many memebrs here who give blood…?

Never have, i have a massive phobia about getting needles in my inner elbow*, getting inked in that part last week was hell! plus i seem to be regularly getting tattoo work done so that rules me out anyway.

My ex gf donates very regularly though.

*My first ever blood test, i had to get 5 nurses to hold me down. True Story.

I really, really I wish I wasn’t such a wussbag but I am terrified of needles and am not sure I could ever voluntarily have one. I know what a good cause it is and I wrestle fairly regularly with how selfish it is but I nearly faint just thinking about it!

I’ve done it 5 times. Not recently though, I really need to find a place and go again. It just makes you so useless for the next few days :( lol.

Blood donors rock! I can’t donate though cause I got a disease when I was a kid which makes my blood undesirable :(

I’m the same.. Needles

I try and donate as often as I can, it only takes 20min and I always feel perfectly fine after.

Like TJ said, I am just trashed afterwards for a good week. I think I run on the minimum amount of blood in my system downer

I wonder if you too have below average iron count??

Mine is just below average last time I went. Though that was straight after moving out of home and not eating enough iron lol. I think I’d be better now. smile

I have donated a couple of times, but it left me drained for about two weeks!!

Definitely not a good idea if ya planning a trip to the snow or do heavy exercise.

I’ve played basketball directly after and you definitely get tired quicker and can’t put in 100%

That is interesting, I don’t feel any different after. They are only taking a very small (relatively) amount of blood

I’m planning to donate blood in a few months since I’m not legal yet. I’m hoping to do so regularly too. I hope I don’t feel drained for too long like some of you guys.

Its not bad at all, at worst your arm feels heavier for up to 24 hours and you want to go to bed an hour earlier.

Definitely do it, the joy (and free chocolate / lollies) are worth it!

TJswish - 02 July 2012 01:00 PM

Its not bad at all, at worst your arm feels heavier for up to 24 hours and you want to go to bed an hour earlier.

Definitely do it, the joy (and free chocolate / lollies) are worth it!

Haha, I’ll definitely donate. Helping people is worth the bit of pain.