The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

FIFA World Cup 2010

Go the Aussies. I think England might actually crack it again this season, even though ferdinand is out.

I would say Messi for hte golden boot, but he is already taken. So instead I will say Didier Drogba.

England to win, Drogba the golden boot.

Just a recap on the countries and goal scorers that are taken (for this comp) for anyone still interested in putting something on paper before the world cup starts.

Countries selected (8 out of 32 - 24 left to be picked!)
Germany
Spain
Australia
Brazil
France
Netherlands
Argentina
England

Golden Boot Nominees
Messi
Torres
Kaka
Villa
Henry
Drogba

has anyone else gone to comedy town and picked a bench player for golden boot?

I hope I wasn’t the source of your mirth.

http://af.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idAFJOE6560BM20100607

That group should really be called The Dragon’s Den. It would have been especially apt had Ronaldinho been selected for Brazil.

Brandy - 07 June 2010 09:31 AM

Go the Aussies. I think England might actually crack it again this season, even though ferdinand is out.

I would say Messi for hte golden boot, but he is already taken. So instead I will say Didier Drogba.

Drogba is injured - News article here.

It’s such a shame for Rio and England. Such a big loss at the back.

rider26 - 07 June 2010 09:55 AM
Brandy - 07 June 2010 09:31 AM

Drogba is injured - News article here.

It’s such a shame for Rio and England. Such a big loss at the back.

He’ll be back in time!

Just so we’re clear here - the upcoming world soccer competition in South Africa is NOT the “Football World Cup” because only one code of football will be played, and it’s NOT “The World Cup” because in any given year there are numerous sporting “world cups”. It’s called the FIFA World Cup - and the “FA” stands either for “association football” or “soccer”, NOT just “football”.

its called Football everywhere in the world but here thats why we called it that and why isnt it called the world cup??? this is the real world cup, this sport is 3 times bigger then any other and this world cup is 10 times bigger then any other world cup.

Yeah I think it’s fair to just refer to it as THE world cup.
There are more countries involved than in any other sport, therefore, more of the “world” is involved.
Therefore, it has the most claim to the title world cup.
quad erat demonstratum.

Why is it that soccer fans are so ignorant of every other sport but their own?

To be “THE world cup”, it would have to be the ONLY world cup - it is NOT.

For Association Football to be officially referred to as just “football”, it would have to be the ONLY code of football - it is NOT.

Just because they’re ignorant and illiterate in other parts of the world, doesn’t mean Australians should be too.

chucky - 08 June 2010 03:47 AM

For Association Football to be officially referred to as just “football”, it would have to be the ONLY code of football - it is NOT.

Just because they’re ignorant and illiterate in other parts of the world, doesn’t mean Australians should be too.

Who cares? Seriously. Is this ruining your life? Why do they call the Major League Baseball World Series when it’s not the world AND there are other series’ in other sports?

After much research, my golden boot pick is Robinho

To your last line - ignorant and illiterate in other parts of the world? do you mean the US? where they call it soccer and have a world series involving no other part of the world, or any other country?
I wouldn’t say soccer fans are ignorant, they are very into their sport.
I think you could accept that football means soccer.
If you call it association football people will think you’re a nutter.
It gets that name from being played to the rules established by the Football Association.

lol this all rather funny!  snake

Im picking Portugal and Ronaldo

i dont care this is getting out of hand but we all know australia is gonna win lol

Butters - 08 June 2010 09:21 AM

To your last line - ignorant and illiterate in other parts of the world? do you mean the US?

No, I mean parts of the world where there is more than one prominent football code, but some ignorant illiterate morons still insist on referring to Association Football as just “football” - like Australia. Evidently in the US at least, they’re smarter than some Australians. How embarrassing.

I wouldn’t say soccer fans are ignorant, they are very into their sport.

Clearly Australian soccer fans who insist on calling the game “football” are ignorant.

I should specify that I mean “ignorant” in the literal sense, not as an abusive term.

I think you could accept that football means soccer.

I think you need to realise that “football” DOES NOT mean soccer.

I think you need to understand that “soccer” means Association Football.

I think you need to understand that “football” is a game of which there are various codes, such as Rugby Football, Australian Football, and of course, Association Football - and that NO one code has exclusive right to officially call themselves just “football”.

I think you need to accept that to refer to a individual code of football as just “football”, especially in any country where there is more than one prominent code played, is pure idiocy.

If you call it association football people will think you’re a nutter.

That’s why people call it soccer instead - but Association Football IS its proper name.

The world governing body of the code is the International Federation of Association Football (FIFA).

It gets that name from being played to the rules established by the Football Association.

It gets the name Association Football from being played to the rules established by the NEW Football Association. The name “soccer” is an English term which goes back to the very start of the code, and is derived from the word “asSOCiation”.

The original Football Association was formed by, and consisted of, teams playing football according to various rules - none of which were the “round ball game” rules as we know them today. Many of these teams were Rugby teams. The rules of Rugby were written in 1848, and the original rules of Association Football were written in 1963 when various members of the Football Association complained that the game was too rough, and wanted to change the rules to outlaw the more physical aspects of the game. Many members of the Football Association objected to this insistence that the game of football be played in a less manly fashion, and this caused a split within the Association. This is when the rules of Football Association were written. Even then, the rules were not as we know them today - the use of hands was gradually phased out over time.

Sure, a lot of people around the world refer to Association Football as just “football” - only because there’s a lot of ill-informed people in the world who simply don’t know any better. That doesn’t mean we should choose to act as ignorant as they do.