The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler Season 2012/2013 for a complete outsider.

Hi Guys, I kinda stumbled on this forum so please pardon the intrusion. I’m Irish, and planning on doing the full season working and snowboarding in Whistler this year… hoping to fly out in late October but I really don’t know anything about the way of life. I’ve been searching for online advice but I’ve not found anything as specific as I’d like, so I’m going to post some general questions, and anything you guys can help me out with is greatly appreciated.

Firstly, about myself, I’m from a relatively small rural area of Ireland… been Snowboarding a couple of times in the alps (I’ve got about 12 days in total, so I’m pretty shite, but hoping that’ll change by the end of the year(my big brother is really good and is chattin about coming over to visit after christmas so I’d love to be as good as him by the time I leave). I’m happy enough to do any kind of work but obviously, something that would leave time to hit the snow would be preferable. At the minute I’m planning on heading on my own, purely because any other travel I’ve done, I’ve gone with friends and I’d like to see how I manage on my own. My actual plan is to do a full year in Canada, starting in Whistler, and that’s as much as I’ve decided on, everything else is in Canadas hands. Hopefully she’ll be nice to me. Anyway, here are some things that I have no idea about, and thank you in advance for any information provided.

What Kinda variety of employment is there? (I’ve got a fucked up CV, ranging from a bowling alley mechanic to a lingerie shopkeeper, by way of a lawyers clerk and a barman… I’m open to anything)

What’s the cost of living like? (Average rent/social costs, season pass/day to day…and also, how much would I need to have with me on arrival to ensure I’m able to have a deposit down on a flat and not be broke by day 2 there )

How long would the season run? Like I say, heading in October for a year, so would it be a fair assumption I’d be leaving Whistler around March or April?

What would be your average wage for seasonal work, and how far can you stretch it?

What’s the story with the nightlife? I’m pretty big into my music and wouldn’t mind trying to maybe pick up a bit of extra cash playin in pubs, I mostly play acoustic stuff, and wouldn’t have much else with me, but would love to get some playing done… Is Whistler a live music town or would it be easier picking up DJing work?

I’ll probably have a million more questions but in the meantime, thanks guys.

Welcome to Boardworld fondue!!!!! shaka

By no means are ya, nor will ya be, seen as an intruder!!!!!

While I have only just had my first taste of Whistler this season, and only for a fortnight, I’m pretty positive that ya gonna love the place!!!!!

I’ll leave the answers to ya quizz up to the crew on here that actually do what ya set out to do yaself!!!!!

But ya have come to the right place, to be sure to be sure!!!!! (Sorry, couldn’t help meself)  shut eye

didnt finney have a thread where he would help people gets jobs?

deanobruce - 10 April 2012 07:02 AM

didnt finney have a thread where he would help people gets jobs?

I think that might have been Shaner????? But yeah, would be worth a look into!!!!!

thats the one!

Anyone got a link to the thread?

Welcome to Boardworld, fondu tones! cool smile

Don’t worry man, no one is an intruder here. Welcome to the community!

The thread you’re looking for is here: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3409/

Have you had a look through the current Whistler Community Blog thread? I know it’s really big but there’s some good information about living and working in Whistler in the first few pages. The thread is here: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3476/

Also check out this thread: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3053/

To answer your questions…

There is a lot of work variety here in Whistler. Everything from food serving, lift ops, guest relations, cleaning, hospitality, retail, maintenance etc. and much more.

The costs really depend on how you do it. For example, you could work for the mountain and go into staff accommodation. This will provide you with a free season pass, discounted food and retail, and super cheap accommodation. You could work for the mountain but find your own accommodation. Or you might decide to find your own job and accommodation. Being your first time to Whistler, I would suggest working for Whistler Blackcomb and getting all the perks of working for the mountain. You get your pass for free, cheap food, parties, you meet people, and you can go into staff accommodation (which I believe is about $450 a month - don’t quote me).

From there, it really depends how you live. It’s easy to budget and live comfortably if you don’t get too caught up in the party scene, but that’s up to you. Do most of your cooking at home, don’t go out for drinks every day, and it’s really not too hard to survive comfortably.

The season typically runs from about mid November till mid May. The last two seasons they have extended the season till pretty much the end of May because there’s a lot of snow. I’d say you’d want to be here till at least the end of April. The Telus Ski and Snowboard Festival is incredible and it runs for about 10 days from mid April. http://www.wssf.com/

I think the average wage for first season working for the mountain is probably around $10 an hour. Don’t forget you also get a free season pass and half price food on the mountain etc.

Whistler has an awesome nightlife and party scene. Lots of bars and clubs etc. There is actually an Irish pub that plays live music, so you might want to get in touch with them regarding playing there. http://www.dubhlinngate.com/

I hope that answers some of your questions. Please feel free to ask me anything else. Great call going to Whistler for the season. You’ll have an awesome time here! smile

Hey Fondu Welcome to the Forum

Firstly dont think about coming to Canada, just do it. Good that your doing your research before coming over. Whistler is a 24/7 all year round resort, mostly known for the Snow, but whistler also has a massive mountain biking scene in summer from may till sept/oct and the glaciers have summer snow parks till august.

Make sure you get a working visa through the canadian consult in the UK, once you got that your all good to work and chase the dream in canada. Also try to have a little bit of savings behind you before coming, i’d recommend at least CA$3000, that way you can pay for any housing bonds, snowboarding gear, and u might have to go a few weeks without a pay check(u normally get paid fortnightly).

Like Jeremy has already pointed out the first place to look for work if your coming in late october is for the Mountain, Whistler Blackcomb does a number of job fairs around october and the start of november here in whistler. Keep an eye on their website employment section, it should be updated closer to when your coming to show when the exact dates for the fairs ( i know they do the australian fairs in may/june). I believe that they actually run some in the UK, in london i think. They hire for basically the starter positions for the mountain which could be anywhere from bar man to lift operations to house keeping. Starting hourly rates are approx $10 per hour. But with the mountain you get access to staff housing which starts at roughly $350 a month(currently 2011) for a shared dorm style room, you also get a seasons pass while working for the mountain which you get a few perks with half price off food at whistler. Staff members also get access to club shred which is a whistler run social group that offers discounts around town and to events like the hockey and concerts.
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/jobs/index.htm (click on job fairs and there are all the links from there)

Worst case scenario if you are really worried, there are agencies that can help you out and do it all for a fee of course. i know of OWH http://www.owh.co.uk/ is based in london and does recruiting for whistler blackcomb and also for a number of different ski resorts in canada. If whistler doesnt work out for you check out Big White, which is another awesome mountain near kelowna, or Sunshine Resort or Lake Louise near Banff. All are great resorts to work for and also awesome towns to party and have fun in, Similar to Whistler but on a slightly smaller scale to the mecca that is whistler.

Hopefully this helps you out. Whistler is a great place and if it doesnt work out and you end up in Banff or somewhere else you will love canada.

Good advice Marc! I like your new avatar pic btw, I can see the resemblance tongue wink

Hi All grin

I’ve decided to do season 2012/2013, so pumped! Been lurking on these forums for a while trying to gather some info for doing a season in whistler. I’ve been to Whistler twice so I’m not a complete outsider, but this time around will be my first proper season (last two times I only rode for a couple of weeks each time)

I’ve been saving up for a while so I’m not planning on working, I should have more than enough money to get me through the season and then some, this has been a goal of mine for a while. Couple of questions though…

Whats the best way to go about getting accomodation for the season? I plan to rock up early December, is it best to find accomodation before arriving? Or just do it when I get there? I remember talking to this dude at the hostel a couple of years back put a deposit down before arriving only to find there was no accomodation on arriving, some guy had just taken off with his money…sketchy

Also, what is the best way to manage funds? Previously I’ve just used a travel money card and transferred money from my aussie account as needed. Would it be worthwhile setting up an account over there, even if i’m not working? I figure if you are paying rent it would be through an electronic means….??

Any info is greatly appreciated!! grin

For some good info on doing a season in whistler Check out our whistler season guide

http://www.rideonwhistler.com/Whistler_Season_Guide/

Accommodation is a personal thing booking before you go is much easier and low stress as you can just arrive and go riding the next day and work on finding a job.. plus you don’t have to worry about coming out before the hill opens you can stay home and get a couple of extra pay checks in!

Finding it when you arrive is more of a risk and more hardwork as you will be staying in the hostel getting buses everywhere looking at rooms. Which can take a lot of time 3-4 weeks is not uncommon.. but it can work out cheaper!

Check out http://www.rideonwhistler.com/Whistler_Season_Guide/Finding_Accommodation/

All depends on your personal priorities..

For money stuff the cheapest way to get your cash to canada is to get a canadian bank account then transfer money using http://www.ozforex.com.au/ or similar service there are no fees for lump sums and they give a good exchange rate!