The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Season Work in Japan

So after 3 weeks in Hakuba and Nozawa Onsen I’ve decided that A. I am definitly going back next season and B. I’m going for the entire season.
Problem is I have no idea how to go about this. If anyone has worked a season in Japan preferably in the Nagano areas your suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Nozawa Onsen would be my dream location for the season. I need to sort out work, accom and visas and the whole shebang and am trying to get it done nice and early.
Hit me back with your thoughts and advice.

PM a dude on here called JohnnoT!!!!!

Pretty sure he does every season in Japow, and has done for a while!!!!!

And welcome to Boardworld, minhloc!!!!!

Hey Minhloc
I’ve worked 7 seasons in the snow but never been to Japan. But Japan is next on my list and I’m trying to get there next season (So I might even work at the same resort as u lol)
There are some people on here that have worked in Japan I think but 2 bits of advice I can give you are:

1. Every resort needs lifties (Lift Operators) and you can do this job with no certificates or qualifications.

2. Get experience, there are no lifty certificates so getting experience is what will get u a job in Japan.

My overall advice is come down to the mountains in Jindabyne or VIC (what ever is easier) and get a lifty job in Australia.
If you do this first, you are very likely to get a job somewhere in Japan… Also doing an Aussie season is loads of fun wink

Andy Aitken - 05 April 2012 04:18 AM

Hey Minhloc
I’ve worked 7 seasons in the snow but never been to Japan. But Japan is next on my list and I’m trying to get there next season (So I might even work at the same resort as u lol)
There are some people on here that have worked in Japan I think but 2 bits of advice I can give you are:

1. Every resort needs lifties (Lift Operators) and you can do this job with no certificates or qualifications.

2. Get experience, there are no lifty certificates so getting experience is what will get u a job in Japan.

My overall advice is come down to the mountains in Jindabyne or VIC (what ever is easier) and get a lifty job in Australia.
If you do this first, you are very likely to get a job somewhere in Japan… Also doing an Aussie season is loads of fun wink

Great tips Andy - But I have never seen a non japanese lifty in Japan. :-(

Mostly Instructors or off snow jobs.

I meet a girl in Japan who is an instructor (actually facebook says Spaz knows!!) anyway have asked her to contribute here if no one who works their responds

I do know that some of the travel operators seek employment for Aussies at some of the accommodation that they have on offer also!!!!!

Quite a few hospitality jobs with bar staff at the Izakayas as well!!!!!

If ya stick to the popular resorts that Aussies are currently frequenting you will most likely have the best luck!!!!!

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/jobs-available/index.html

http://www.skijapan.com/Home/About-Us/Employment

http://www.hokkaidotravel.com.au/docs/index.php/About-Us/Employment.html

The GM of the Hilton in Niseko is Aussie!

Any customer service experience helps!!

I have a business card of the Hokkaido Tracks guys pm if you want the email addy

ozgirl - 05 April 2012 05:47 AM
Andy Aitken - 05 April 2012 04:18 AM

Hey Minhloc

Great tips Andy - But I have never seen a non japanese lifty in Japan. :-(

Mostly Instructors or off snow jobs.

I meet a girl in Japan who is an instructor (actually facebook says Spaz knows!!) anyway have asked her to contribute here if no one who works their responds

Well that’s good news for me grin
But there are definitely Aussie lifties in Japan. Possibly not at the resort you went to, but I have half a dozen lifty mates that have all worked in Japan, at Niseko & Hakuba.

I dunno anyone but have seen lefties in Hakuba that are not Japanese when I was there in feb this year.

I’ve seen a couple of non-Japanese lifties in japow! .....“Dozo!” wink

Billy - 05 April 2012 07:27 AM

“Dozo”, hahahahaa!!!!! Love how they sweep the pow of ya seat for ya too!!!!!

Don’t get service like it anywhere!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 05 April 2012 07:34 AM
Billy - 05 April 2012 07:27 AM

“Dozo”, hahahahaa!!!!! Love how they sweep the pow of ya seat for ya too!!!!!

Don’t get pow like it anywhere!!!!!

That too!!!!!  shaka

Well I stand corrected then!! grin

Have been to a few resorts with the same friends and we only just had the convo about non japanese resort staff.

Digging this up from the abyss, just a heads up guys with working in bars etc. Japanese work laws don’t really allow holiday workers to work in bars (nightclubs, hostess bars etc as well) so be somewhat careful. They do crackdowns every so often.