The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

what stance do you ride

Give it a go lanox!!!!!

As said before, stance is a personal preference, but seein as though your on the Octorocker and mentioned that you are linkin turns confidently, then I would say you should definitely try it out!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 07 November 2011 12:52 PM

Give it a go lanox!!!!!

As said before, stance is a personal preference, but seein as though your on the Octorocker and mentioned that you are linkin turns confidently, then I would say you should definitely try it out!!!!!

yeah will give it a go, and adjust as i go…

one more question how do you know how wide u need to go, been reading more last night and some ppl say to measure you shoulder to shoulder, some say to measure from you knee to you foot and use that as the starting point for wide between to bindings.

I’ve never used any formula for deciding on the width of my stance - just went with what felt best. Started out around 22” and have since gone out to 24” as it’s what I felt the most comfortable and stable with.

finney - 07 November 2011 10:27 PM

I’ve never used any formula for deciding on the width of my stance - just went with what felt best. Started out around 22” and have since gone out to 24” as it’s what I felt the most comfortable and stable with.

thanks finney,

Also mess around with your setback, you may find you like it setback a lil bit or centered. I personally set my stance back 1/2 - 3/4 inch from center on my twin board.

finney - 07 November 2011 09:02 AM

If you look at the mounting holes for the bindings you’ll notices an X in the middle of them at each end.. from memory the distance between these two X’s is 22” from memory and centred.

Personally I ride centred 24-24.5” wide with 15/-15.

This is correct. The reference stance on the Octorocker is 22 inches and centred. The reference stance is marked by a ‘X’ within each set of mounting holes.

lanox - 07 November 2011 11:33 AM

So I know this is personal preference but I am going to ask any way, for someone like me I can link turns etc, what stance would you recommend for me, I was thinking 15/-9 centered what do u think?

It’s definitely a safe place to start. I’d recommend a stance like that for someone new to duck stance. It will give you a feel for it without using drastic angles. From there you can start playing with bigger angles on your back foot, if you like it.

rider26 - 07 November 2011 10:54 PM
finney - 07 November 2011 09:02 AM

If you look at the mounting holes for the bindings you’ll notices an X in the middle of them at each end.. from memory the distance between these two X’s is 22” from memory and centred.

Personally I ride centred 24-24.5” wide with 15/-15.

This is correct. The reference stance on the Octorocker is 22 inches and centred. The reference stance is marked by a ‘X’ within each set of mounting holes.

so just to confirm (again stupid question) if i was going to use 24 wide i would just move the bindings to different holes on on the board and make sure that the other bindings are on the same hole as well ???

Thats right… move them both out 1 inch and it’ll give you a 24” centred stance.. move just the back one out 2” and you’ll be giving it a 1” setback 24” stance.

When measuring the width of your stance it’s measured from the middle of your bindings. When setting up a board for the first time I usually grab a tape measure to make sure I’ve got it right.

thanks to all , i think i finely comfortable to say i understand it now lol ...

you will find out soon enough if your stance is wrong on some boards

i have a directional twin (nose is longer and the stance is set back)

went a little wide on my stance settings 1 day and every turn i was nose diving -  front edge would dig into the snow

Got a question about stance so I normally ride about 20-21 width, +15 to 18 front , -5 to -8 back but the thing is if my ref points are 22in apart do you guys recommend I bring both feet in about .5-.75 in or should I just bring the front foot back 1-1.5 in to get my desired stance width, I have burton custom which is a directional board so I’m just wondering I know of I bring the front back I will get better float in powder but is there any downside to it?

I do mostly freeride but still mess around sometime riding switch but not that often, mostly do high speed carving, jumps any suggestion on stance width and angles would also be great appreciated

rider26 - 07 November 2011 05:57 AM

Yeah, if you use the reference stance, which should be somewhat marked at the inserts, you will have a setback stance.

Also, if you move both bindings out (one towards the nose and one towards the tail) by the same amount, your stance will still be set back.

Just say the reference stance is one inch back; if you move the front bindings two inches forward, your stance would now be centred.

pretty sure there are no mounting markings whatsoever on my board.  will just have to suck it and see.

@lester: I don’t think there will be any downside bringin the front foot back, you might be not totally centered on the sidecut/effective edge but probably wouldn’t notice it. My board is a twin and I set my stance back 0.5-0.75 inch back, didn’t feel much difference when turning. For now try moving the back foot 0.5 and front foot 0.5 inch to get to 21 inches.

skip11 - 08 November 2011 04:45 PM

@lester: I don’t think there will be any downside bringin the front foot back, you might be not totally centered on the sidecut/effective edge but probably wouldn’t notice it. My board is a twin and I set my stance back 0.5-0.75 inch back, didn’t feel much difference when turning. For now try moving the back foot 0.5 and front foot 0.5 inch to get to 21 inches.

That does seem like the safe bet thanx skip11