The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2011 / 2012 - The Community Blog

I reckon still take your iphone - just don’t ride with it.

Use it as a itouch. There must be places with free wifi?

Starbucks and other coffee shops etc.

check out solo too, they seem to have some of the best deals my friend has an unlimited local talk and text plan for $27 thats pretty damn good in canada!

I ended up going with Solo and just getting them to cut the sim and throw it into my iphone. $30 month to month equals unlimited texts (canada and international), unlimited incoming (lol), unlimited weekend calls, unlimited night time calls (7pm-7am) and 150 minutes per month of local calls. Pretty impressed really. And they have a sweet sort of add on deal too, add $5 and you get unlimited local calls or 10 bucks for unlimited internet.

Off to Whistler on Monday! So far loving Van. Everyone is so keen for a chat.

That’s a really good deal. Similar to what I’m on. You probably won’t need to pay that $5 for unlimited local calls. 150 minutes per month should cover anything you need out of those free hours. Also there are free phones all over Whistler (in the Village and on the mountains). You just pick up the phone and dial any local numbers for free.

Here’s a hint: make sure you sit on the left side of the bus (and get a window seat) when driving up to Whistler. Driving from Vancouver to Whistler is one of the most picturesque drives you’ll ever do. Have your camera handy.

Hey bw crew!
I am planning on heading to Whistler in early Feb for the remainder of the season (first ever season there and I’m soooo pumped!). I’ve managed to score a sweeeeet deal with my boss here in Aus who’s going to allow me to work from the mountain and email my work in daily. (I know!)

I need to be productive or else he’ll revoke this amazing offer, much to my devastation! So the thing is, I need to make sure that I have a good set up. I won’t be able to share a teeny tiny room with another person and cram into an overcrowded share house. I’ll need my own room where I can set up a desk and where there is solid internet connection.

Given that I’m going in Feb, what are my chances of finding such a set up? I hear horror stories of how hard it is to find accom when you’re prepped to take anything, let alone having a list of requirements like mine…

I’m eager for anyone’s thoughts or advice.

Hey jacs, that’s awesome news!

The only thing working against you is your arrival date. When in Feb are you arriving?

The good news is the internet is cheap (compared to Aus) and really fast over in Canada. You shouldn’t have any problems hooking up a solid internet connection (most houses already have it hooked up anyway).

However, I know there’s always a bunch of people leaving early to head back to uni etc. Some people leave early because of injury or other travels. All landlords will be looking for leases starting in October or November, so unfortunately you will need to play the waiting game.

More and more accommodation options will pop up closer to the time of your arrival. I know it’s a scary wait but you will find cheaper and better options closer to the time. Definitely keep your eye on the Pique accommodation listings. Link here (look at the short term and long term accommodation listings). You might find something now for Feb in the short term listings, however these will be at a premium price.

I’ll be in Whistler all season so I’ll keep my eye out for anyone leaving early and wanting to lease their room.

Hey rider,
Thanks for the speedy reply. I know that this is a good problem to have! Not sure of my def arrival date yet as there is still some negotiating to be done with my work. I’m hoping it’s early Feb and possibly even late Jan if things go my way (and I can save enough!)
I’ll keep my eye on the Pique accom site and I guess I’ll just stay in the loop with these threads until I get there. Can’t come soon enough!
I’m also keen to catch up with BW crew when I get there cos I’m going totally solo and don’t know anyone there.

For sure. Stay active on this thread and hit me up when you arrive. jeremy(at)boardworld.com.au and my number is 604 906 2683. I’ll keep my ear to the ground regarding any good accommodation becoming available in Jan/Feb.

October 15th…

Looks ready to goooo!!!

very excite.

What’s also nice is that Vancouver’s weather has been pretty nice for a fall. Not as cold and not as much rain as last year so far.

Yeah, the sun has been out for the last 4 days. Hopefully it remains so for tomorrow. Hiking Grouse mountain!

finney - 07 October 2011 06:10 AM

can’t wait for my first sushi village visit for the season..

I am gonna smash sushi village when i get there… then we are going out for birthday drinks finney! YIEEEEEW
I’m so Eff’in pumped!! after my season there a while back i cant wait for spend a week there. hit all the good spots!

hey no complaining about flights. we’re flying at christmas, $2100 return to van. OUCH!

dont care anyways. its WORTH IT! bring on La Nina!