The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

where to stay in tokyo for one night

Hi guys

since most of you have been in japan i was thinking of staying on night there on the way back home, few questions i have

1) is it worth the money to stay for one night ?
2) can you recommend any good accommodation ie hotel names etc ?

Thanks much appreciated.

Where are you coming from??? Anyways, hell yes it’s worth staying. Japan is awesome. Hundreds of hotels, similar prices to here. If I had to stay somewhere for one night only I guess I would go for Shinjuku. Only prob is the Int Airport is 1hr+ by train.

AJ2theC - 08 October 2011 01:13 AM

Where are you coming from??? Anyways, hell yes it’s worth staying. Japan is awesome. Hundreds of hotels, similar prices to here. If I had to stay somewhere for one night only I guess I would go for Shinjuku. Only prob is the Int Airport is 1hr+ by train.

Hey mate sorry i should of said we are coming back from hakuba, we are looking to stay close to city ie things to see maybe i think we might have full day and leave next day at 8pm for sydney.

thanks.

+1 to staying in japan

agoda.com usually can find something

the city is rather large if you dont know where you want to go
cant go wrong with Shibuya/Shinjuku area

really depends on your budget and time of year on costs

the further away from major stations you are the cheaper it will be

humdingaling - 08 October 2011 01:32 AM

+1 to staying in japan

agoda.com usually can find something

the city is rather large if you dont know where you want to go
cant go wrong with Shibuya/Shinjuku area

cool thanks guy keep it coming, i am not sure where to really stay to tell you the truth first time i am going so i got no idea i guess me and my mate would like to stay somewhere in the city or i guess where all the lights are lol like the ones u see in movie hahahahha or close around there,

the shibuya intersection is the one in all the movies

I stay at the Hotel Metropolitan Marunouchi Tokyo ($200+). Its adjaction to the north entrance of Tokyo station.  5 Minutes from the Hotel doors to platform 3 & 4 the Narita Airport line. The hotel start at 24 floor of the Sapia Building so most room have a great view of Tokyo. You might have to change platform at Tokyo station if you stay else where in Tokyo. Remember for size Tokyo shits on most cities. Tokyo itself would have to be the cleanest place on earth. You would find it very hard to find any litter in Tokyo or Japan.

cool thanks guys just booked my ticket today for hakuba and one night extra in Tokyo, hrm i just got to find a hotel to stay in with a mate so any name of hotels or areas to look for hotel to stay, firs time going so no idea where to stay or suburb to stay in, we prefer close to major station as we will need to get to airport.

hrm i guess around 200 maybe max 250 between 2 of us.

johnoT thanks for that info i will take a look at that hotel, also thank you everyone else for ur help as well its much appreciated.

Anyone else I am sure there is heaps of ppl that stayed in Tokyo overnight?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2027.html

track line for airport express train
we took the train from nippori direct to airport

Nippori is connected via the JR yamanote line
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2370.html

so if you stay anywhere on the JR Yamanote line you should readily be able to transfer to airport

All good suggestions

guys thanks heaps for you help…..... i kinda of got an idea around what area to stay, do u guys suggest any hotels to look in to ? that are not to expansive but worth staying in?

Dude, stay where ever. The Tokyo subway runs everywhere and it’s easy to get to where ever you want.

cool thanks sorry for all the questions i just wanted to make sure i get the most out of the day, that is all..

You’ll probably have your snowboarding stuff with you, hauling that stuff around the train station is a bad idea. It gets indescribably crowded, and there are all sorts of things to navigate (stairs, the gates to the platforms, etc.).

If you’re flying out of Narita, the most practical option might be to stay near the airport and take a train into town. Otherwise, I’d base yourself as close to one of the train stations and try not to walk too far with your stuff.

Basically, Tokyo is a bunch of business and commercial districts on the JR loop line. For the ultimate Tokyo experience, as others have said, I’d recommend Shinjuku / Shibuya. And do check out the Burton Store in Harajuku, it’s on a quiet boutique street a bit out of the way.