The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

what do you do between seasons?

Just wondering what do people do between seasons?

And would working and boarding a season provide sufficient income for flights to the next destination? Or does everyone have an awesome job back home between seasons that makes up the travel expenses?

I really want to work at the snow for a couple seasons but just don’t know how much $$$ would i need to get the ball rolling!!!

Please help… =D

I reckon you can easily make more than enough for flights to the next destination but it just depends how disciplined you are at saving and how often you wanna go out and party when doing seasons. I’ve seen people come back in debt from seasons because they end up going out all the time and hardly even snowboarding. If you’re priority is snowboarding then you’ll tend not to go out so much and should easily be able to save the required money!

Welcome to Boardworld, chloee! cool smile

Yeah, cords hit the nail on the head. It really depends on how disciplined you are. There’s plenty opportunity to earn enough money, however it’s also easy to spend in a resort town. Make sure you cook at home and don’t spend all your money on pay-day drinks, as many workers do.

It definitely helps to work between the seasons. You don’t need a great job, just a somewhat steady income. It makes it so much easier if you can pay for your flights and have money left over. You also want to be able to enjoy your time over there, so if you can save up prior to travelling, why not?

Where are you thinking of going?

At the moment I’m working as a Snr Test Analyst for Optus - 6 month contract works out perfectly for saving cash in the off season.

rider26 - 10 October 2011 10:58 PM

Welcome to Boardworld, chloee! cool smile

Yeah, cords hit the nail on the head. It really depends on how disciplined you are. There’s plenty opportunity to earn enough money, however it’s also easy to spend in a resort town. Make sure you cook at home and don’t spend all your money on pay-day drinks, as many workers do.

It definitely helps to work between the seasons. You don’t need a great job, just a somewhat steady income. It makes it so much easier if you can pay for your flights and have money left over. You also want to be able to enjoy your time over there, so if you can save up prior to travelling, why not?

Where are you thinking of going?

i think i’ll start next year close to home, so probably buller, hotham or falls… just to prep up for more snow overseas! then probably japan, or canada, or even france after reading skijobsfrance.com.au!

how easy is it to get a job up there? i think im dreaming but is a position in like marketing, graphics design or pr possible at all?

cords - 10 October 2011 09:26 PM

I reckon you can easily make more than enough for flights to the next destination but it just depends how disciplined you are at saving and how often you wanna go out and party when doing seasons. I’ve seen people come back in debt from seasons because they end up going out all the time and hardly even snowboarding. If you’re priority is snowboarding then you’ll tend not to go out so much and should easily be able to save the required money!

how much would u normally get working a season? minus the accommodation, lift pass, food etc….?

i’d hate to be in debt… =(

I did a season in sweden and I was in about $500-600 debt (to my boyfriend) when I started, but by the end had heaps of money (that included having bought a board and all new outerwear over the course of the season, too.) I don’t know exactly how much but I was easily comfortable. As I said though, my priority was snowboarding and I rode every single day that I could and only went out 2 or 3 times in the whole season.

We also spent time making sure we found a place to live that was close to the slopes without being crazy expensive in rent. This is definitely worth doing - if its possible, shop around when choosing your accommodation.

If you want a position in marketing, graphic design or whatnot, I would send an email with a brief outline of your quals and experience to the resorts you might be keen to work at and just introduce yourself and ask them! There is absolutely no harm in trying. I’m not sure how common positions are like that as far as just working a season goes but you may as well ask.
If you trawl through their websites, you should be able to find the email of someone roughly in that area, rather than just the “info@resortname” address.

cords - 11 October 2011 10:26 PM

If you want a position in marketing, graphic design or whatnot, I would send an email with a brief outline of your quals and experience to the resorts you might be keen to work at and just introduce yourself and ask them! There is absolutely no harm in trying. I’m not sure how common positions are like that as far as just working a season goes but you may as well ask.
If you trawl through their websites, you should be able to find the email of someone roughly in that area, rather than just the “info@resortname” address.

^^^ good point! I’m trying to get a job in media at the snow for next season. I’ve been in contact with radio stations (in particular Snowfm), the resorts etc. Just ask as many people as possible, the more you start digging the more you’ll find. Good luck with it!!