The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler 2011 / 2012 - The Community Blog

Awesome, thanks for the run down rider. I’ll be keeping my eye out for Creekside locations smile

Hey Finney! I did look into that actually, but to hedge bets I ended up buying the early bird ticket in case I wasn’t able to get a mountain job/enjoyed my days far too much to volunteer them raspberry

I’m not sure if I’ve budgeted enough for living expenses/rent though. I’ve essentially got (before work) 1500 per month for 6 months, is this enough to live off (comfortably) or would I definitely need the work? Bearing in mind, I’m not the best at scrounging for money or not shouting everybody at the pub raspberry

Also, What’s board shopping like there? Right now my heart is set on the Arbor Coda - 153/157 (Can’t decide which size) 2010/11 model..A) to save cash and B) the graphic is too sick to pass up. Would it be possible to get it on mountain? Or would past season models be best to get from Vancouver? I’m buying everything for the first time, so its gonna be a big shopping day in Vancouver/Whistler… anyone want to come? Haha.

Beau

No worries, Beau.

If you’re smart with your money, I’d think that should be enough to survive comfortably. I guess it depends how often you eat out and how much you drink at the bars. I bought my season pass as well. As much as I enjoyed instructing in Whistler, nothing beats total freedom.

The board shopping is pretty decent in Whistler. There’s quite a few snowboard stores and they carry a lot of gear. That said, I don’t like your chances of finding a specific Arbor board from last season. That’s not to say it can’t happen, it’s just not very likely. All I can say is don’t get your hopes up. There should be a somewhat decent selection of 2011 boards in Whistler if you’re looking to save money (whatever doesn’t sell at the Turkey Sale: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/todo/events/detail/turkey_sale/index.htm). I don’t think it would necessarily be any easier in Vancouver.

In regards to board size, how much do you weigh?

Yeah, I’m not particularly fond of my chances either. There’s one here at InSki in Sydney selling for $650 but I wouldn’t pay much over $500CAD for it. Unfortunately I won’t make that Turkey sale either! Rah :(

I fluctuate between 78-85kg depending on training!

I’d go for the 157.

You know you get a further 9.09% tax back at the airport? Duty free shopping. This goes for anything you purchase before you leave. It needs to total more than $300 on the receipt, must have your name and address on the receipt, must be within 30 days of leaving the country, and you need to be taking the goods out of the country. Only takes a few minutes at the airport. Just something to keep in mind.

I’ll see if I can track that board down for you for any cheaper. InSki should be doing at least 30% off their boards for this time of year. Lame if they’re not!

Just looked into it. The Arbor boards in Australia this season are 2012 models (we are a year ahead). Is this the graphic you’re after?

They are, their original pricing was $849 down to $679. Considering the 2012 board goes for less than $649 internationally, I have very little interest in buying it here in Aus. Not an attack on InSki or Australian retailers either. I wish I could afford to buy locally as InSki’s service was exceptional when I walked into the store. Anyway! Thats a conversation for a different thread!  (Thanks though!)

Whistler talk! What’s your favourite run? smile

Negative,

is the one I’m after. I know graphic really means stuff all as the 2012 one is most likely the better board… but I’m just picky raspberry

Appreciate the help smile

In that case they should be giving you 40% off.

Anyway, I just called InSki to see what the deal was. They have none left in stock (157) and they sold the 153 yesterday.

The Coda is a super popular board and the 157 is one of the most common. I’d say you’re not going to find one.  hmmm

Have you considered the Arbor Westmark? Andy Aitken was riding it last season in Whistler and he swears by it. I could definitely organise one of those at a good price if you’re interested.

Anyway, Whistler talk… wink

For me, nothing beats Peak Chair on Whistler Mountain on a powder day. There’s so many amazing runs on both mountains but all the terrain accessible from Peak Chair is just insane. Harmony Chair is also a popular one; lots of awesome terrain around there. Granted I know Whistler better than Blackcomb, so I usually ride Whistler on a powder day. Spanky’s Ladder and The Glacier are also top picks on Blackcomb. This will be my fifth season over there and I’m still learning new areas.

I didn’t realise it was so popular! I haven’t considered much of the other Arbors, the only other board I’ve seriously looked at is the Ride DH2 155. I think I’ll just leave it till I’m in Van. Too many decisions!

Wow five seasons and still exploring! That is so refreshing to hear. Was last season as good as everyone is saying it was? 1500cm is insane!

Yes it was!  grin

They are expecting another good season for 2011/12. cool grin

Korver - 07 October 2011 01:44 AM

Olympic chair is pretty extreme…

.. I’m not giving anything away, just come riding with us and we’ll show you around wink

i wish i can go, grrr stupid married life ....

finney - 07 October 2011 03:02 AM
Korver - 07 October 2011 01:44 AM

Olympic chair is pretty extreme…

.. I’m not giving anything away, just come riding with us and we’ll show you around wink

I’ll be holding you to that. Just hope i can keep up smile

Hey guys lll be Whistler from the 30th Nov,
I’ll be doing my first season (working at the Four Seasons rental tech)
Im going to be in staff housing but i don’t know which building hopping biro
Im So excited to get over there again!! I spent 2 weeks boarding there in april 2010 it was insane!!!!
I can understand how you haven’t seen the whole resort test theres so much terrain grin
Now I’m just counting down the sleeps and waiting for uni to finish so i get over there.

And i have to say Spanky’s Ladder was one of my favourites while was there
Shuan grin

Shauno_33 - 07 October 2011 04:25 AM

Hey guys lll be Whistler from the 30th Nov,
I’ll be doing my first season (working at the Four Seasons rental tech)
Im going to be in staff housing but i don’t know which building hopping brio
Im So excited to get over there again!! I spent 2 weeks boarding there in april 2010 it was insane!!!!
I can understand how you haven’t seen the whole resort test theres so much terrain grin
Now I’m just counting down the sleeps and waiting for uni to finish so i get over there.

And i have to say Spanky’s Ladder was one of my favourites while was there
Shuan grin

Get in touch with House (staff housing) on +16049387500 as soon as you’ve got your letter of offer from WB and put your name down for brio. Brio fills up quickly so you want to get onto it quickly

Chances are I’ll be getting into town on the same day as flights are $400 cheaper on the 30th compared to the 1st of Dec.