The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Digital SLR

im thinking of getting a digital SLR for the snow this year, any1 got any good suggestions on which is a good one that is not 2 expensive but still takes good photos??

What’s your budget?

If your thinking DSLR you should be thinking how much can you afford - not; What is not to expensive.
CMOS sensors are almost as good these days, is your main reason to have interchangeable lenses? Sony NEX cameras looks good.

well i guess anywhere between $500-$1000.. yea want interchangeable lenses n good quality images

also high shutter speed

I don’t think that ya could go wrong with anythin from either Canon or Nikon!!!!

That would be the way id go!!!!

A good way to make up ya mind would also be to browse thru the pics on BW, and then go with the gear that the photog uses from the images that ya like the look of the most!!!!

yea thanx mizu ive been looking at a few different brands n sum r def out of my price range but yea i will have a look at the pics on here!!! i want 2 get a fish eye aswell n there worth more then the camera is

yeah, the lens is where the $$$ are in a quality setup, and that’s where the Canon & Nikon give great value for the $!!!! Some of the photo crew might say somethin different as I def ain’t the expert here!!!!

Just from doin a fair bit of research myself, I would go with either one of the brands that I have mentioned!!!

As for a fish eye, how much are ya really gonna use it????

I personally would start out with a lense that’s suited for sports, and later on down the track when I had a grasp on the features and setup of the camera, would then look at experimentin with other specialized lenses such as a fish eye!!!!!

Just my opinion!!!!

yea that i wont b worrying about the lens 4 a while if i end up getting 1 jus 2 much 2 pay 4 all at once, but i think i fish eye is worth it down the track everything jus looks alot better with a fish eye…. the 1 thing i noticed about canon and nikon there r expensive cameras where sony seems 2 b a bit cheaper but then quality wont b as good but im sure it will b good enough 4 what i wanna use it for…. tough decisions

You get what you pay for;
You pay for the reputation!

Sony wont give you any less quality - they just dont focus on pro end products.

Canon make and provide the best standard lenses.

Nikon have made some of the most durable body’s.

Kodak are the oldest camera company.

Because Canon and Nikon compete with the best pro equipment their prosumer models get features of the better models.

Remember you want a camera for using in the snow that will take semi-pro shots.
If you aren’t familiar using DSLR functions (experienced) I suggest buying a 2nd hand camera, because having a DSLR can be costly if your not reimbursing the cost of it through generating an income.

Why not have a look at the pentax K-r, seems to have good reviews and good features for the price especially the frame rate.

First read this:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

For lenses, usually you’ll use a 18-55 for everyday like and people shooting, and a 55-200 for snowboarding. A double lens kit would be worth it since they are a bit cheaper than buying lenses separately.
Don’t get too fazed by online reviews since they need something to write about and are generally ‘pixel-peepers’. Ie they blow a photo to 100% and look for lens imperfections. In real life you won’t be blowing up your photos to poster size and going over them with a magnifying glass.  Every online review will tell you that the kit lenses suck and you should invest instead in more expensive lenses. The big difference between the cheap lenses and the pro lenses are two-fold:
build quality and lens quality.
Build quality means that the cheap lenses will be built in thailand (for nikon) and not japan, and they are made of plastic, and not so ‘weather-proof’. Don’t worry about this.
Lens-quality: if you’re going to be shooting in bright light, there isn’t much diffference here. If you’re shooting indoors, a pro lens will give you a stop or 2 of extra leeway. Again, you don’t need to worry about this at this point.
Get the camera with a kit lens or 2 and if you ‘outgrow’ it, then sell the lenses and get more expensive gear.
I started out with a nikon d50 with 18-55 lenses, and I bought a used 70-300 for snowboarding. This could be a great deal for you if you go with Nikon (not the d50, since they don’t make it anymore).
If you can get something with min 5 photos/second, that’s enough for snowboarding. If you want to do tech skate sequences you’ll need 8/second.
Note: micro 4/3 cameras, including the sony nex don’t cut it. They don’t have the shutter speed for sequences and the pic quality is just not up to dslr standards (close, but not quite). The price though is quite similar. Also, you get a smaller body but when you stick a zoom lens on it it becomes huge. You will still need a special bag for either.

So, for cameras
nikon d3100
review here: http://bythom.com/nikond3100review.htm

nikon d5100

for a sick camera, the nikon d7000

and look at the equivalent for canon.

If you look at pentax, you’ll get a cheaper price for more features, but the future is uncertain. With Nikon/canon you know for sure that they will be around in the future and there are heaps of used lenses. Resell value is alot higher too.

sony dslr’s are decent too if they are on sale. less lenses than nikon/canon. I think you can use old minolta lenses on them. Sony’s use the same sensors that are used in some nikons.

oh, and you can get any ‘look’ from any camera. It’s all about aperture and shutter speed. the rest is photoshop.

a third site I check is http://www.dpreview.com

Geeze…...... get some shots in mags, win a few comps, and ya actin like ya know what ya talkin about!!!! Sheesh!!!!

d7000 hey???  cool hmm

ha ha. just regurgitating what I’ve read on the internets.

yeah, the nikon d7000 looks awesome

I got a Canon EOS 400D a few years ago a love it. It isn’t as fast as I would like 4 photos/second but still does some great quality shots. It came with a twin lens kit, 18-70mm and 70mm-300mm (I THINK!) but I just upgraded to an Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens.

Next I am looking to upgrade the body to something that is capable of 10 photos/second. But I guess that is the beauty of the cameras. Once you buy one with the lens, you can upgrade the pieces individually instead of having to go and buy a whole new kit again.

i currently have a canon 500d and love it.

mate had a 7d and now a 60d and if i was going to upgrade i would prob go the 60d. fun to use, but the glass is the main thing!

get wicked glass and the body will produce decent images. im about to start investing in good glass to upgrade from my kit lens

thanx 4 the info guys!!