The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Opinion of the Nikon D5100???

Still deciding whether or not to get my first DSLR!!!!!

And thought that due to the high quality of photographers that lurks around here, would seek some opinions!!!!

Tossing up between the Nikon D5100 and the D7000!!!!!

I know that the D7000 is the better camera, but is the D5100 suitable for taking the odd snowboard action shot, as well as everyday pics????

I am looking at a kit that they have floating around atm!!!!!

Nikon D5100 + 18-55mm VR + 55-300mm VR, for around $1200 with Aussie warranty and piece of mind!!!!!

What is your honest opinions of this kit???? Positives and Negatives????

Cheers in advance!!!!!

*note to all Canon fans, that I have my mind set on a Nikon!!!!!

Just use the go-pro… It takes way better photos, right spaz?

I would go with the D7000 as it can shoot more frames and the still image focusing is much better than the 5100. But the D5100 is great in terms of everyday use and capable to serve great camera for snowboarding.
I’m personally not a fan of kit lens, but I heard they are great for everyday shooting - so they should serve you well.

can’t argue with Spaz’s recommendation of the gopro….but if you insist on spending money on inferior dslrs….

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5100.htm

d7000
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000.htm

how much more is the d7000 Mizu?

tjswish - 14 July 2011 02:53 AM

Just heard hat it’s no good for stalking at night though, cause it hasn’t got a flash!!!!!  tongue rolleye

Mizu Kuma - 14 July 2011 03:58 AM
tjswish - 14 July 2011 02:53 AM

Just heard hat it’s no good for stalking at night though, cause it hasn’t got a flash!!!!!  tongue rolleye

Thats what facebook is for isn’t it?

Ken Rockwall - 14 July 2011 04:30 AM

The Nikon D5100 is Nikon’s newest camera. It offers the same technical image quality of the unbeaten Nikon D7000 in a smaller, lighter, less expensive package.

If you just want fantastic pictures, get a D5100. If you’re a seasoned photographer who also wants more knobs and blinking lights, go for the D7000.

Haha, thats on the D5100 page smile

Gamblor - 14 July 2011 03:00 AM

can’t argue with Spaz’s recommendation of the gopro….but if you insist on spending money on inferior dslrs….

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5100.htm

d7000
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000.htm

how much more is the d7000 Mizu?

LOL

proly around $5-600 more!!!!! Better gettin a couple of add ons for that moola???? Better flash etc!!!!!

^^ did you read my post?

well, there’s always going to be a better, more expensive camera in the shops. I would say get the d5100. The kit lenses will be fine. If you’re okay with spending $1200 on the cam, then telling you to go for the 1700/1800$ d7000 is a bit much. If it was $100-200 then that would be a different matter. The only things you really miss out on (from just skimming through the specs) are dedicated buttons and 2 fps (4fps vs 6fps). Not such a big deal.
Remember, you’ll also need to get the following:

some sort of padded bag
memory card (don’t need more than 8gigs though - 4 is plenty)
lenspen
blower

you don’t need a tripod, and the flash you can pick up later, after the wife forgets about this big purchase. The flash is only good for night shots and even then…. anyways, I would say, use the camera and then see what you’re missing.

You can also consider getting uv lens filters to protect the lenses. I have them on all of my lenses. That way when you get snow or crap on the lenses you can rub at it, and if you scratch it, you just replace the filter, not the lens.

Cheers cupid!!!!

Cheers Gamblor!!!!! I already have cards, so the lens filters, bag, lenspen and blower sound the go!!!!!

(Who are ya talkin too TJ??? Me or Gamblor!!!! And if it’s me, what are ya referin too????)

Mizu Kuma - 14 July 2011 05:08 AM

(Who are ya talkin too TJ??? Me or Gamblor!!!! And if it’s me, what are ya referin too????)

You! See below.

If you just want fantastic pictures, get a D5100. If you’re a seasoned photographer who also wants more knobs and blinking lights, go for the D7000.

Apparently the D5100 is a newer model and therefore takes the same quality pictures for a cheaper price point and less buttons / lights.

It’s like purchasing an ATI 6870 vs a ATI 5870 graphics card for your PC. Same card but the newer model is so much cheaper.

Yeah, I’ve read the Rockwell Chronicles from when Gamblor posted it in another thread!!!!

His opinion is to get the D7000, but I was just fishin for some other opinions!!!!  I like to have a broader opinion base than just one persons, that’s all!!!!!

I am actually a friggin nightmare when it comes to researchin things that I am gonna buy!!!!!  shut eye

Hey Mizu, if you go onto Youtube and type in ‘D5100 review’ and ‘D5100 vs D7000’ you might notice that the research has been done for you smile

Also, have you looked into the D3100, its a great beginner camera and great for everyday shooting. my mate bought a brand new body Australian stock for 370 off a bid on eBay, can’t go wrong.

at my local shop (a large chain) when you get a camera they offer a 5 year warranty for a few extra yen - def a good buy. My D200 is now on it’s 6th year and it feels real old in the tooth. It’s had a few major repairs for random stuff like the hotshoe, and a lens not focusing, any of those would have cost over $200. So, what I’m trying to say is, 5 years for electronics is a really long time and the chances of it breaking in that time is pretty good, so an extra warranty is a sweet deal. So, look into buying locally.
The local shop might hook you up with 10% discounts or whatever, or even just good advice.
You can always print out the online deal and take it in to the shop to see if they’ll price match or even just bring their price down.