The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

New board beginner / intermediate

Is there somewhere else to get the union contacts at that price? The snow biz ones are only L/XL would they be too big for me? I was thinking L would suit a 9.5 boot better.

If i cant find the unions in the right size how are the forum recons or K2 sonics?

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/FRBIMA9FA/title/forum-men-s-faction-bindings—09

might get these read some good reviews now M or L it says M goes to size 10 and L is 10+ would 9.5 boot be tight in the M or to they allow a bit of room for different boot types?

Each boot is different (shape/size/volume) which is why it always helps to try the fit at the store, but you should get the mediums. It’s better to have a snug fit rather than way too much room like you would with the large bindings.

Which boots do you have?

tjswish - 29 June 2011 08:12 AM
redjames - 29 June 2011 08:01 AM

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/BUBIMN1FA/title/burton-men-s-freestyle-binding-2011 burton freestyle

Mate you don’t want the freestyles… they are the Burton version of a rental binding… Also, burton have their channel or 3 screw binding holes which would make it difficult to connect to his Omatic board. + spending $40 more for those Union Contacts is a much better binding for a beginner, soft and forgiving.

actually burton bindings come with 4x4 compatible discs too! so no problem putting burton’s on an omatic.

re: the contacts, how do soft and forgiving bindings help a beginner? (sorry for the noob question - I’m not an instructor)

So whats the recommendation on forum factions for $200? I cant seem to find the union contacts anywere for the right size in the $240 range or even union DLX for $220

Did you look at the Rome 390s? Honestly, they are a really good binding. I’d grab those for sure!

Gamblor - 29 June 2011 01:05 PM

re: the contacts, how do soft and forgiving bindings help a beginner? (sorry for the noob question - I’m not an instructor)

Softer bindings are more ‘forgiving’ and less responsive - meaning there is more room for error. As you know, stiff bindings respond to small movements; not so good for beginners. Beginners use large body movements to get their board to respond (think how a beginner has to move their head, move their arms/shoulders, move their hips etc. before the board turns). As we get better we can use smaller movements, as small as a foot movement to get the board to respond.

In a nutshell, a beginner needs (or is better off) with a soft and forgiving setup. It allows them more room for error. If they had a responsive setup, small errors in their movements will have painful consequences.

The freestyle are a soft binding and cheap. . . Just trying to sugest some different choices

redjames - 30 June 2011 08:35 PM

The freestyle are a soft binding and cheap. . . Just trying to sugest some different choices

they are cheap for a very good reason wink

id strongly suggest the 390’s if you can afford them. these bindings will be everything you want/need and last you a few years at least considering your a beginner/intermediate.

I really can’t afford the Rome 390’s at the moment considering i still have to buy some boots, Would Burton customs be OK? As they are available for around $200. Just got the board delivered today it looks awesome and i can’t believe how quick the postage was!!

Yeah the Customs aren’t bad at all. They’re a nice binding to start with. Eventually you might want something more responsive though.

rider26 - 01 July 2011 05:43 AM

Yeah the Customs aren’t bad at all. They’re a nice binding to start with. Eventually you might want something more responsive though.

You then come back to having the 3 hole crap from burton… If you can get another brand, I’d recommend it…

You can use the Customs on any board. They come with 4 hole pattern discs. And even if they didn’t, they are super easy to get. Standard size disc will work in any Burton binding. There shouldn’t be any issues at all.

All sorted got a pair of Rome 390’s on the way, now to play the waiting game.