The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

I smelled my boots today.

Given that I’m in the NoHe, they’ve been sitting dormant in my snowboard bag for the past few months. Holy crap, they are pretty bad, but it reminded me that I haven’t been on the snow in quite a while!

So how fresh are yours, or do you want to burn them?

My boots have done about 150 days so far and they are actually quite fresh. I always had them on the boot dryer in my locker so they never got moldy or smelly. You can get those antibacterial boot sprays. They use them in rentals and seem to work quite well.

My boots are 6 years old.

Need I say more?

It seems like quite a scary thought to put my nose in my boots.

Jeremy do you put your boots on the dryer after each day?
heat setting or no heat?
I ask because, doesnt heat potentially change any molding, and lead to breakdown of some materials over time?

I use the dryer when I’m riding a lot of days in a row and they tend to get wet when in teh snow day after day, but if only going for 3 days, maybe 3, I probably wont use my dryer.

The boot dryers are in our lockers… they just blow air all night, not heated at all (air at room temperature). They are completely dry by the morning. If you go into the locker room at night, WOW! The smell is ridiculous. Much worse than worldtripper’s boots, put it that way.

Ah!
I worked at a mountain that had that in the locker room, it was very nice.
and yes they were room air as well, but the room was all wet from everyone’s boots, so they werent always dry in the AM.

These boot dryers were in our private lockers, every locker has them… you turn the boots upside down and put them on these boot shaped pipes that blow out the air. Always 100% dry by the morning. The circulating air in the locker was also good for drying gloves and all the other gear. They are awesome!

Yeah, I’ve been in Kirkwood’s locker room, and let’s just say that the combination of sweaty folks, boots, and the cramped space made that my one and only visit there.

My boots have the antimicrobial material, and let’s say that it didn’t help a bit. Probably my fault, combined with the fact that a bunch of wet stuff goes in my bag before boarding a train to go back to my residence, and it stays wet for many hours.

And I think you really need to take extra care at a place like Whistler, which tends to be very wet. I think the time we met, J, in 2007 was basically a rainout.

haha yea i definitily don’t let my boots anywhere near my face normally, but i’ve been having severe boot issues last season. i had forum boots that were awful and had no soul support, and they smelled bad. i spent the entire time trying to get different insoles to make them better
gahhh after riding for eVER! its such a pissoff to have boots not work and mess up my season,
so i stuck baking powder into the bottoms to get rid of the smell :D
so long story short hope the baking soda helps

Hey Samuraii, you should look at investing in a set of custom molded footbeds. They mirror the shape of your foot in the neutral position, giving you the perfect amount of arch support. There are many benefits of having custom molded footbeds. There is a thread about it here…

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/238/

and also info in the boot fitting article towards the bottom…

https://www.boardworld.com.au/content/category/boot-fitting/

Antibacterial spray in a yellow aerosol (schwinns it might be) seems to work quite well but seems to run out fast.
Crazy method I heard of once was rice to soak up any moisture. Only problem with that is getting it out I guess.

Baking soda works really well, and its cheap! Salomon boot have a machine washable liner, so if you are having problems, switch to them. I also hand wash my liners if they are getting bad, then after they are dry put baking soda in them.

Well, my 32’s don’t have footbeds, it’s got that heat-moldable liner. So the stink just won’t go away! My habits don’t help things either. . .

I faced my new fear after reading this thread and actually smelled my boots today.
Luckily, they’re fresh as.
I normally leave them over my ducted vents for a few days after a trip.

My boots don’t usually smell that bad, but at the start of the year I was boarding in the states & couldn’t resist one last ride before I caught my flight home to Aus. So I went out for a couple of hours riding in the morning then packed my boots & gear away as soon as I finished then got dropped straight to the airport.
Spent 2 days in LA then one in Sydney before getting home to Adelaide. I almost died when I unpacked my boot bag haha. But that last ride sure was worth the stink.

My old hails have over 110 days of use and still don’t really smell all that bad. After every day of riding i’d leave them on top of the heater in out room (not directly on top but if you know staff housing in whistler you’d know what i mean as almost every room has boots in the window above the heaters). always dry the next day and never had any real issues. Only reason I’ve just bought new boots is because mine have just packed out too much even with the burton J bars in them I still get heel lift on my rear foot. Had some custom J bars made up which solved the heel lift but the inner lace is so frayed that it’s on the verge of snapping so just grabbed some new boots. After the comments on foot beds i may try hooking some up for the new boots.

Can definitely say I remember the stench in the staff lockers at the springs in whistler.. not the most pleasant smell but it woke you up in the mornings when you went in there before heading up the mountain haha