The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

bandannas!

I was wondering what you guys use?

I want something to stop my face from freezing off, I sometimes use a bandana but it doesn’t always cut it, and some of the things used today are ridiculous, ninjas maybe cool in movies but on snow their just weird haha.

Opinions? Comments? Advice?

Thanks

Nobody was wearing them until Shaun started rocking them, now you see heaps of people jumping on the bandwagon.

Its usually hardly ever cold enough here in Australia to wear one.
On the odd windy day you might have to tuck your chin into the collar of your jacket while on the chairlift. But thats about it.

Bandanas are a fashion thing, rather then practical.

Get a nice fleece neck warmer that’ll really stop the wind and keep you warm.

I have a polar fleece hood which is long enough to be my neckwarmer also - wear it under my helmet no problems with a cold face at all…..the bit that covers my head is super thing so it is not a squeeze to get my helmet on.

Have worn one for the past few seasons on bitterly cold days - I copped a bit of frost-nip a few seasons ago and the result was my skin was literally falling off my face…..
didnt enjoy it so I like to keep my cheeks a bit warmer from now one…

Not sure if you can see it from the pic, but you pull it over your head and down…scary pic i know…..

antt321 - 09 July 2009 10:29 AM

I was wondering what you guys use?

I want something to stop my face from freezing off, I sometimes use a bandana but it doesn’t always cut it, and some of the things used today are ridiculous, ninjas maybe cool in movies but on snow their just weird haha.

Opinions? Comments? Advice?

Thanks

Bandanas don’t really work. As soon as they are wet they are horrible.

Practically the best options are neck warmers and the velcro bandanas with fleece on the inside. 3CS, Burton, Bandit, and some other brands make them. These keep you much warmer and are more effective at keeping the moisture out.

Other options are the ninjaclava types, but they aren’t always practical and can get very hot.

I use the Velro fleece bandanas. I don’t always wear it, but I always keep it in my jacket pocket for when the weather turns bad.

Actually, I kind of like the look, it’s just such a change from my usual button-down shirt, street persona.

But I’ve actually never worn one riding, if my face is way cold, I pull up the hood on my jacket so it covers most of my face, and that’s usually sufficient. Bandannas are a fashion item for the most part.

And on the one day that I was riding where it was -20 with -34 windchill, I used a facemask.

I’ve never used one because it seems like something else to worry about how it is layering or lying on my neck or is the top tucked into the bottom of my goggles, or is it wet or dry.
ugh, too much else to think about. I all ready spend encough time getting my sleeve cuff organized between first, mid and outer layers.
If needed I zip up a little more and tuck my chin into the collar. I like a collar just the right size for that.

If I wore one it would probably be the one I got with my latest Burton jacket, or a traditional bandana atyl;e.
I’ve seen some fleece lined bandanas, and that may be a little more practical.
It’s an odd OUTLAW look, old west cowboy style.

I always thought this one was kind of funny to see on the hill - especially when a girl is wearing it.

I havent seen this one out yet, thought

3CS fleece danas work better than anyother due to magical 3CS properties…

but seriously - i rock a dana when I dont have my coat to cover my face.. I’ll wear one when its super sunny and warm and im wearing a sweater , so my face doesn’t get burned off… Or on a hefty pow day where my ninja mask has gone missing

in all honesty the most comfortable piece / useful ive owned is the Airblaster ninja mask.. Its made of terry cloth so its super comfy, can rock under your helmet with no loss of safety, and can be used as not only a balaclava but a touque as well! Pick one up fast at the start of your season- as the snowcomes the ninja masks go outta stock,happend last year here in whistler…

There is a small Aussie company called Semantics that has been around for a few years now. They were the ones who developed the bandana with velcro and fleece lining and actually hold a patent on the design. As much as I like 3CS gear (I ride in it) they ripped the idea off Semantics.

For those who think facemasks are too hot for Australia, try a bandana. Will stop wind and sun and is easy to ventilate if needed.

Photobucket

Pffft just grow beards guys, that my excuse for my poor excuse bum fluff going on at the moment, it’s all facial thermals baby!

i’ve got a fleece bandana smile

Skiing makes me Board - 10 July 2009 04:27 AM

There is a small Aussie company called Semantics that has been around for a few years now. They were the ones who developed the bandana with velcro and fleece lining and actually hold a patent on the design. As much as I like 3CS gear (I ride in it) they ripped the idea off Semantics.

For those who think facemasks are too hot for Australia, try a bandana. Will stop wind and sun and is easy to ventilate if needed.

Photobucket

Hey dude, do they have a website? I’ve looked but I can’t find anything…

A lot of brands are doing the fleece velcro bandana now.

Thanks dude. Checking it out now.

Semantics has the skull face one, that I’ve seen.
I noticed that on the website, thanks for sharing.

i have a nice dark green fleece neck warmer!  for me it has mad steeze, my girlfriend isn’t so sure….but seriously those bandanas look dope as!  I’ve never owned one but i know what looks dope…...(yeah dark green fleecy neckwarmers!!!!)