The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

FOOT BEDS IN BOOTS

Foot beds in boots important or not?
I feel personally whether you are a boarder or skier a set of foot beds in your boots are a must. They give your feet a lot of support. Which for snowboarding a sport that demands a lot from your feet its important.
People complain about how much their boots hurt or are constantly moving around in the them need to consider foot beds. Ever done you boots and bindings up so tight that you feet go dead and your still moving around in your boots while riding. That is because your feet aren’t being supported.
Proper foot beds are molded to your foot shape and support the arch area of your feet. Therefore giving your feet more volume in the boots meaning you don’t have to strangle them to get them tight. You also get the maximum response from your boots so your feet aren’t going to be murdering you at the end of the day.
Snowboarding is suppose to be a good time so don’t let things like sore feet ruin it for you. We spend so much money on a pass a day that we need to make the most of it. Spend that extra bit of coin and get some foot beds they are going to give you feet a break for the better.

Agreed. If people aren’t convinced, take out your stock insoles and just see how flimsly, cheap and flat they look. Most don’t offer enough arch support and proper heel support.

I’m currently using Superfeet Blue and Red Premium insoles, looking at getting custom footbeds as soon as I can.

Footbeds are super important. For some foot types they are more important than for others. That said, EVERYONE can benefit from after market footbeds. The footbeds that come with your boots are absolute junk!

can you take a pair of custom footbeds and switch the into a new pair of boots?
Or do you have to get another pair made?
Jeremy said they can transfer in another topic about boot fit.

I suppose the footbed is made for the foot, and not the boot, right?
I guess a growing foot might need to get re-fit.
But an adult foot shouldnt change much..

how often should you get refit?
I mean every 5 years? I’m sure our feet and arch change with how much we abuse our bodies, or not.

snowslider - 07 July 2009 01:09 PM

can you take a pair of custom footbed and switch the into a new pair of boots?

I mean every 5 years? I’m sure our feet and arch change with how much we abuse our bodies, or not.

Depending on how long you have had the boots and how much riding you have done in them. Foot beds like boots break down after a while. A heavy or aggressive rider will break down a foot bed in the same amount of time as the boots.
If your boots have fitted great from day one and have now broken down and you are considering new boots. Invest in new foot beds at the same time. If you have had the foot beds done a bit after purchasing the boots you should be able to get them transferred over to new boots with maybe a little adjusting.
Growing feet definitely need new foot beds as they change size. Otherwise the support will be completely wrong.

thank you CJ, I appreciate your sharing information.

Stick around and keep sharing. Your knowledge is very valuable.

snowslider - 07 July 2009 01:09 PM

can you take a pair of custom footbeds and switch the into a new pair of boots?

Yeah you can pull the footbeds out and switch boots. The footbeds can be reshaped (shape/size of the footprint) to a certain extent, but if the new boots are a very different size/shape to your old boots you are better off getting new footbeds. Ideally you want them as a perfect fit for your boots. They get shaped to your feet, but also to the original (standard) footbed that came with your boots. Of course some boots will different, but if your feet aren’t growing there shouldn’t be much difference in a properly fitted boot.

CJ is right, they also break down after a certain time. I can tell you I have gone through three sets of footbeds, each lasting about 200 days of riding. When I pulled them out of the boot, they were just completely shattered (but still supportive under the arch). They still work fine but you have to leave them in the current boots.

A podiatrist will also tell you that your foot shape changes, especially if you are using corrective orthotics. For this reason they suggest you get new orthotics every two years or there abouts. If you are riding a lot, I would probably re-invest every couple of years, or whenever you buy new boots - for the perfect fit.

i tried mine out for the first time last weekend

what a massive difference they made - especially when combined with heat moulded liners. Massively comfy!

When you mean footbeds, do you also mean orthotics? +1 needs orthotics for for her running and they are going to set us back $600, so they aren’t cheap but I am happy to pay for them if it mean +1 has no more shin, ankle and foot pain.

Locpender - 23 July 2009 07:07 AM

what a massive difference they made - especially when combined with heat moulded liners. Massively comfy!

Was this your usual boot with a new footbed?
or did you change the boot and footbed at the same time?

snowslider - 23 July 2009 01:08 PM
Locpender - 23 July 2009 07:07 AM

Was this your usual boot with a new footbed?
or did you change the boot and footbed at the same time?

usual boot with new foot bed - felt a lot more snug around my ankle and the less pain along the soel of my foot. Well worth the 100 or so bucks to get done

kort - 23 July 2009 12:02 PM

When you mean footbeds, do you also mean orthotics? +1 needs orthotics for for her running and they are going to set us back $600, so they aren’t cheap but I am happy to pay for them if it mean +1 has no more shin, ankle and foot pain.

No, footbeds are full length and softer than an orthotic. In principle they do the same thing, support the arch and keep your feet in the neutral position (aligning the lower body). Orthotics are too stiff/solid for a high impact sport like snowboarding (I was told that direct from a podiatrist). Custom molded footbeds will set you back between $100 to $160 depending on which type you go for.

For someone who already used corrective orthotics in shoes, footbeds they are absolutely essential for snowboarding. They make a big difference to comfort, support, and boot fit. Have a read of the footbeds section of the boot fitting guide for more info:

https://www.boardworld.com.au/content/category/boot-fitting/

Rider, what about the softer sort of orthodics? I mentioned this in my ‘bad knee’ topic, but this is prob the best place to ask - as far as I am aware there are harder orthodics (I think plastic with foam covering) and softer orthodics (made entirely of foam, although quite a hard foam). Do you know what I’m talknig about here? My physio made me a pair of the softer orthodics but a podiatrist can make both the harder and softer versions (I know this purely because my friend has both types). I have a pair of the softer orthodics and was thinking of using them while boarding… any comments on using these ‘softer’ orthodics?

I know exactly what you are talking about, I actually had a pair made. They are essentially a custom footbed, if they fit in your boots go for it.

do footbeds help at all with heel lift?? has anyone had any experience with this cause ive asked many a person and heard completely mixed things. If not does anyone know where I can get some j or c bars things are hard to find. would rather try and fix the problem before forking out for new boots.

I think that I have decided this year wont be the year I spend $ on footbeds.
I’m going to spend too much else on other things I can hardly justify needing.
LOL