The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Smoker thread

Hughman666 - 04 October 2015 02:31 PM

Damn straight, when you have people over and they all want to keep “checking on it” - leave it the fuck alone please!!

The spit looks pretty serious - how much did that set you back?

LOL The worst is when the fuckers grab a knife and try cut off the good bits!!!!!

The one with the meat on it is just a cheapy from KMart, and I’ve burnt the arse out of the trays in it!!!!!

The stainless one I won it along with the WSM in a BBQ Galore Comp!!!!!

Anyone have good sausage recipes they want to share?
Especially euro sausages. The German and the Dutch really know how to make awesome sausages.  drool

Where’d you get your injector Hugh? what do you think of them? i have thought about getting one.
I do actually have needle attachments for my cream whippers… i tried injecting a roast a while back… injecting meat with either CO2 or NO2 is rather… messy… to say the least xD lol.

Also got a sausage maker (similar to the one in the pic) a few weeks ago as well.
I used to use the attachment on my grinder. but it was a pain stuffing the meat in the feeder and trying to manage the sausage at the same time. This thing makes a world of difference.

I got the injector from BBQs Plus in Port Melbourne - it’s the $16 one, they have a full stainless injector that looks like something out of a 70s psych ward movie and its over the $60 mark.  Either way, the cheapie does the job (a few injections in now) and seems pretty well made.  The only thing to mention is to not have too much non-liquid in the injection sauce (herbs etc - need to crush them right up) otherwise the injector will just get blocked.

BBQs Plus is probably my favorite BBQ shop as they have a lot more of the stuff to cater for smokers and hardcore BBQing.

A lot of my stuff is posted in The Food Thread.

We are loving the Webber and cooking over coals.

Did our first direct heat cook on it last night.

Got home from Jindy (via Woolies) and then fired up the starter with coals while we unpacked. Threw a couple of marinated pork steaks on - so yum!

We just bought some pellets (living in the inner city there ain’t too many options for bbq shops, so bunnings is our only option at the moment (we need to venture further afield and will now we aren’t going to the snow most weekends!)

But here is our first Brisket, with homemade beans and corn bread!

DR1F7R - 05 October 2015 06:47 AM

Sausages are def a two person job!

I have a mincer and sausage maker attachment on my kitchen aid.

I haven’t found my favorite sausage recipe yet!

This is a great series to watch.

We also bought his book.

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/bbq-with-franklin/

ozgirl - 06 October 2015 12:25 PM

Is that attachment any good?????

Tossing up wether or not to get an aftermarket stainless one, or the KitchenAid one!!!!!

Check out these guys for your wood!!!!!

http://www.aussiebbqsmoke.com/#2806

Mizu Kuma - 06 October 2015 12:44 PM
ozgirl - 06 October 2015 12:25 PM

Is that attachment any good?????

Tossing up wether or not to get an aftermarket stainless one, or the KitchenAid one!!!!!

The mincer is not great at all. I have one from Kevin’s grandma now.

But the sausage attachment makes it worth it I think (But you can’t get the sausage maker without the mincer… )

Mizu Kuma - 06 October 2015 12:50 PM

Check out these guys for your wood!!!!!

http://www.aussiebbqsmoke.com/#2806

The online store is closed for a month! :-(

But we will prob check out BBQ Factory at Mona Vale on the next time we are up that way.

The dedicated sausage maker is 100% better. Using a hand crank with one hand and feeding the sausage with the other makes doing it alone a piece of cake. With the mincer attacent you really do need two people.
I bought a 5L one off eBay for about $60, Was a bit hessitant, but I love it.

Also, just threw this in. Gunna try get a nice long cook for tonight.
Also threw some nuts in as well. Soaked em in salt water, with some spice first.

He must be on holidays?????

But worth gettin wood off him, cause the quality is top notch, plus if you buy a bit it’ll work out cheaper than BBQ Stores, or even Bunnings!!!!! Although Bunnings only do chips as well!!!!!

Yeah, good to know about the mincer cause that was the feelin I had due to it bein made from plastic!!!!!

I might just get a seperate one, or even the old manual job?????

Mizu Kuma - 06 October 2015 01:35 PM

I might just get a separate one, or even the old manual job?????

Yep thats what I have the old fashioned one… my mum has one and I remember using hers and loving it so i jumped at this old one form Grandma!

That pic of yours above is just the stiffer yeah, drifter?????

What grinder have you got?????

And along with Hugh, the injectors are a pain in the arse when it comes to things like garlic, etc!!!!! They also tend to clog with the meat tube it cuts out when insertin it!!!!!

I find skewerin a hole first helps to stop this, but honestly I just skewer the meat all over and marinade in a freezer bag min overnight is just as effective, or even better!!!!! Less mess too!!!!!

This is my injector I got from a kitchen shop for $20!!!!!

Yeah the stuffer. Came with 5 sizes of tubes as well.

The grinder is just a sunbeam I think.