The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread

Peli - 20 August 2015 01:04 PM

Got my CAL over the weekend and I’ve applied for the 2nd part. I’ve basically decided on Whistler (or I’ll at least give it a good go first) and will book flights pretty soon.
Queue a bunch of newbie questions, both Whistler and general Canada/Vancouver related:

Hopefully none of these questions are too stupid cheese

Nothing is too stupid, that’s why we are here. I’ll try my best to answer but the Whistler guys will probably enhance my answers when they have some time:

1. When do you need to get to Whistler in order to get accommodation? I’ll get there before the job fair of course, but just wondering how early I need to be there to not end up homeless or in a closet for $1600 a month. When do most people rock up?
Unsure since I haven’t lived in Whistler, others can reply. I’d say getting there prior to the Job Fair would give you at least a decent chance of finding non-staff accom. If you want staffies, then get a job at the fair and tell them you want to move in.

2. Likewise, when do most seasonaires leave whistler?
Most will leave pretty much once the season finishes. This year it was scheduled for April 17 but from memory it ran into May. If you are booking a return trip and this is likely your only season, you can always quit early if you really need to get that plane.

3. I’ve read that mobiles have an area code similar to landlines in Aus? Does that mean I need to get one in Whistler, or can you get one in Vancouver and ask for a Whistler number?
Mobiles start with 3 numbers, mine was 250 for Kamloops. I got it in Vancouver and just said I was moving to Sun Peaks and they gave me the right area.

4. Can you open a bank account while in Whistler, or does this need to be done in Vancouver?
They have bank branches in Whistler so you can do it. Though with an influx of people, this might be easier in Vancouver. TD or RBS are in the main part of Whistler and Scotiabank is in Creekside.

5. Do I need to book hostels in Vancouver/Whistler in advance, or can I just wing it and book when I get there? Same with a bus from Van to Whistler? Do these things get booked out around this time or is it generally alright?
Hostels is probably a good idea. Especially around the job fair times. After the fair if you’re planning on staying, it probably won’t be too hard to get a room. Again, better to be safe then sleeping in the cold. Bus isn’t as big of a deal. There is always people around with cars and if you’re going to arrive prior to the job fair, there shouldn’t be too many people on the buses. But again, better safe than sorry.

6. Does 1 day seem reasonable to get SIN, bank accounts etc set up in Vancouver?
SIN doesn’t take long and is at the north side of Vancouver at the top of Granville St. See first page for more details. Bank account you need to pre-book an appointment. Mine was done the next day but I’ve heard of delays if you get unlucky and there is no room can be a few days. If you can pre-book a time / date prior then this shouldn’t take more than 1 day to do all 3 (SIN, BANK, PHONE). Personally I’d spend a day or 2 just checking out the city, it’s pretty awesome.

7. As for Whistler season passes, assuming you won’t be given one, when’s the best time to buy or when does early bird end? And say you do this and then it turns out you end up working for the mountain or can get a spirit pass, can the one you bought be refunded?
If you work for corp (e.g. a job fair job) you will get a season pass as part of your contract. If you get fired, you will lose it.

If you work for an external company (say the pizza shop or a hotel) you will need to pay for a pass. Most places have a deal to get a discount if you sit through a course or something (1/2 day if I remember correctly). Again, the Whistler guys can confirm.

———————————————-

And if you are struggling with the Whistler life (Job / Accom / Friends / Not right for you) move on to another hill. There are tons in BC and AB and most have a reasonable amount of jobs and may suit your personality better.

However saying that, good luck with your season, Whistler will be awesome and I will hopefully see you all when I arrive in Canada (Hoping to come visit for a night like I did last time if possible)

Meanwhile, what flights are people looking at? I got a webjet voucher for $250 but they can’t seem to even get close to a return flight price with JAL for $1200 (Nov -> Apr) with only 1 stop in Tokyo.

Thanks heaps for the reply TJ! Will have to buy you a beer over there.

Flights are booked, heading over on the 21st of October (Wednesday) and will aim to get to Whistler sometime that weekend!  rocker

Some very cheap (I think) flights at the moment with Japan Airlines via Tokyo if anyone hasn’t booked yet and doesn’t mind a stop over. Sale ends at the end of August.

TJswish - 21 August 2015 09:55 AM

Meanwhile, what flights are people looking at? I got a webjet voucher for $250 but they can’t seem to even get close to a return flight price with JAL for $1200 (Nov -> Apr) with only 1 stop in Tokyo.

Didn’t see that post there, but yep I went with JAL. I haven’t flown to north America before so not sure if this is standard but 2x23kg checked bagged seems pretty good, should be heaps. Only issue is the connection time on the way over is 1h 05m, but they’re both JAL flights and that was the only option really on there site, so it should be ok. Flew with them to Japan last year and they were pretty good.

2x23kg is awesome. My flights last time were 1x23kg and 2x10kg carry ons. Just don’t go overboard with taking all 50+kg since you will be in Whistler and be stuck in a tiny room (or paying a fortune)

1h is a good amount of time for a stop-over.

1. You get a break
2. It’s long enough you don’t miss connections
3. Maybe go buy a book or something while you wait since you’ll likely have no battery in the laptop or be completely done with watching stuff.

Meanwhile, JAL won an award for the best seats on International flight and have approx 10cm more leg room than other airlines which for a 6ft Male who is quite fidgety on planes can really help.

————————————————

I’ll likely book one in the next few days. It’d be nice to have a better idea of start dates and if I have a job or not lol but I’m pretty set on going back so I may as well bite the bullet.

————————————————-

Always keen for a beer. I’ll give plenty of notice with my plans on here when I head up.

Peli - 21 August 2015 10:00 AM

Thanks heaps for the reply TJ! Will have to buy you a beer over there.

Flights are booked, heading over on the 21st of October (Wednesday) and will aim to get to Whistler sometime that weekend!  rocker

Some very cheap (I think) flights at the moment with Japan Airlines via Tokyo if anyone hasn’t booked yet and doesn’t mind a stop over. Sale ends at the end of August.

What return date did you book? or are you heading over 1 way?

TJswish - 21 August 2015 10:41 AM

1h is a good amount of time for a stop-over.

Yep should be a good chance to stretch the legs.

TJswish - 21 August 2015 10:41 AM

Meanwhile, JAL won an award for the best seats on International flight and have approx 10cm more leg room than other airlines which for a 6ft Male who is quite fidgety on planes can really help.

That’s good to hear, I’m over 6ft so this is a plus haha. They’ve also been ranked the most punctual airline in the world.

TJswish - 21 August 2015 10:45 AM

What return date did you book? or are you heading over 1 way?

Returning 13th April. Need to book return to get the cheap price. Return for $1200 or one way for $1350+  gulp

Fair enough, it’s only $100 to change the date too so if you want to stay for summer you just re-schedule it or just miss the flight hahaha.

And punctual is good, especially if it’s Narita which is generally a pretty busy airport.

1. When do you need to get to Whistler in order to get accommodation? I’ll get there before the job fair of course, but just wondering how early I need to be there to not end up homeless or in a closet for $1600 a month. When do most people rock up?

—You want to be there in October for sure, earlier if possible. Most leases will start on November 1st or earlier. It more comes down to how organised you are and how hard you hustle. Make sure you hav a phone and call and see as many available places as possible as soon as they are advertised.

2. Likewise, when do most seasonaires leave whistler?

—Typically, end of April (for work), but you can always stay on. The season can go well into May.

3. I’ve read that mobiles have an area code similar to landlines in Aus? Does that mean I need to get one in Whistler, or can you get one in Vancouver and ask for a Whistler number?

—You want a 604 number. Yes, just tell them you want a Whistler number.

4. Can you open a bank account while in Whistler, or does this need to be done in Vancouver?

—You can do it in Whistler. My recommendations would be RBC or TD Canada Trust (both have branches in the Village).

5. Do I need to book hostels in Vancouver/Whistler in advance, or can I just wing it and book when I get there? Same with a bus from Van to Whistler? Do these things get booked out around this time or is it generally alright?

—Unsure but you’re safer booking ahead.

6. Does 1 day seem reasonable to get SIN, bank accounts etc set up in Vancouver?

—Yes. The main priority is your SIN as you can get a bank account in Whistler if necessary. Make sure you have all the required documentation in order.

7. As for Whistler season passes, assuming you won’t be given one, when’s the best time to buy or when does early bird end? And say you do this and then it turns out you end up working for the mountain or can get a spirit pass, can the one you bought be refunded?

—The sooner the better. I’m not sure if early bird is still available, check on the website. Yes, they usually have something in place for this where you can get a refund or partial refund if you end up working for the mountain.

Hopefully none of these questions are too stupid cheese

—Never. wink

First up, thanks heaps for the wealth of information. Been scouring it rigorously in preparation!

But, what’s the application for work permit that i need to submit in CIC with a 100$ fee, haven’t seen a mention of it here?

EDIT: Nevermind, just realised it was introduced on the 21st of feb.

How long should i wait before assuming that i’m not going to get an email for an interview from the resorts?

And what are the chances i end up with a job if I fly over with 20 resumes and give them to anywhere i can find in Banff? If I don’t land a job in a resort hoping to just wing it.

Thanks.

Hey Vydamo,

There is 3 fees that you will NEED to pay for the working Visa:
1. Kompass = $150 fee
2. Police Check = $42 fee
3. MyCIC = $100 fee

Other than that it shouldn’t cost you any more to get the visa. If you go through the working holiday, they pay for this part ($300ish value) and charge you $1800. The $1500 is to get you a job worth about $10 an hour. That means you need to work 150 hours to even make that back. Hence why we are pretty against it on the forums.

——————————————-

With your other questions, I’d apply with the assumption that you are going to get the job (this may not be the case but a positive attitude goes a long way). Also, applying for multiple resorts is a great idea too. Check out these mountains which are around the rockies as well if you want more of a chance of getting a lift co job:

Jasper (AB)
Panorama (BC)
Kicking Horse (BC)
Kimberley (BC)
Fernie (BC)
(Remember drinking age is 18 in AB and 19 in BC so if this affects you and you want to be able to party, make sure you choose a mountain in the correct province)

If you don’t get a job with the lift co, don’t be afraid to arrive and look for work once you’re there. If you get there early (Say late Oct / early Nov) you should be able to pick up work in Banff (or another mountain town) relatively easily as long as you are respectable looking, have an upbeat and happy attitude and definitely a decently written resume helps too. If all else fails, there is ALWAYS house keeping jobs (at least at Sun Peaks, there was way too many hotels looking for cleaning staff)

Honestly though, I’d be looking online more than trying to walk in. It’s an Internet day and age unfortunately and walking into places only works if there is a sign in the window saying “Now Hiring”

And it might be a bit early to start looking, I’d put in a few resumes up to a week before flying out and then just keep applying for new places once you arrive. Check Kijiji which is pretty much like gumtree here: http://www.kijiji.ca/b-jobs/banff-canmore/c45l1700234r10.0?address=Banff

(Sorry, my posts often turn into novels trying to explain stuff and/or talking to myself with my plans)

TL:DR: Less than $300 for a Visa, definitely don’t be afraid to go without a job as it’s not too hard to find work in Canada near the snow provided you’re keen and a good person (Whistler is an exception to this rule)

You’re probably the best person to ask TJ, is there much to do in Kamloops?

I want to stop somewhere between Vancouver and Banff for a day or two, because if I do the whole Greyhound trip in one sitting I’ll be getting into Banff at like 4am which would be inconvenient haha.

There is stuff… but it’s not a fantastic town…

There is a movie cinema, hockey rink, shops, pubs and your normal sort of amenities… but it can be a bit of a trek from the bus stop.

Honestly, I’d probably smash another 3h or so and get to Revelstoke. Much nicer atmosphere, still a decent amount of stuff to do (most likely you’ll go to a pub or have dinner and crash anyway) and then getting on the bus the next morning is more bareable since it’s only 4h or so left.

Either way, won’t make much difference but yeah I’d go to Revvie since it’s smaller and therefore easier to get around without transport.

Woooo just got my visa application approved!!! grin Getting excited now!

Peli - 23 August 2015 12:20 AM

Woooo just got my visa application approved!!! grin Getting excited now!

Congrats man! shaka