The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread

jacksonflower - 20 July 2015 12:07 PM

I had a mate recently tell me that the rules regarding health insurance have changed when you enter Canada under the IEC visa. Apparently they will only issue you a visa the for length your health insurance is valid.

Can anyone confirm this? Heard of this TJ?

I’d rather not buy 24 months worth of health insurance when it’s free once you have an address in Alberta haha.

I don’t think it’s free in Alberta for non Canadians? Anyway, they barely check anything. It also says you need 3-4k money in your account and I handed over the letter and she gave me the visa. Easiest part about my whole trip lol.

SIN, Bank accounts and Phones are more trouble.

I didn’t know about this when I was there last but yeah apparently it’s free for everyone living in Alberta.

I found this on http://www.health.alberta.ca;

“Temporary workers / extended work permits
(minimum 6 month permits)
AHCIP coverage is valid from the date signed (or the date of your arrival into Alberta whichever is later) until the expiry date noted on your work permit that was submitted to Alberta Health when you applied.”

Here is the BC one too.

Hey Guys,

My partner and I just got back from Canada after doing the winter. In Alberta we signed up to AB health straight away and cost us nothing. We were told you must sign up within 3 months of arriving but not sure if that was accurate or not. Regardless get straight on it if in AB.
The healthcare system there is quite good. It takes about 6 weeks to approve and during that 6 week period, if you get injured or need to use the health system for anything, they will back pay you once you are approved. The missus had to get 2 operations while we were there and they looked after it all. I’m pretty sure we need a proof of address from our employer and thats it.

danho - 22 July 2015 06:02 PM

Hey Guys,

My partner and I just got back from Canada after doing the winter. In Alberta we signed up to AB health straight away and cost us nothing. We were told you must sign up within 3 months of arriving but not sure if that was accurate or not. Regardless get straight on it if in AB.
The healthcare system there is quite good. It takes about 6 weeks to approve and during that 6 week period, if you get injured or need to use the health system for anything, they will back pay you once you are approved. The missus had to get 2 operations while we were there and they looked after it all. I’m pretty sure we need a proof of address from our employer and thats it.

Cheers for confirming this!
It’ll save me a lot of money haha

We still had travel insurance for the full time we were there just incase we lost possessions etc but it was good to know that I didn’t have to pay if we needed to see a doctor for something like a chest infection.

Just got my conditional acceptance letter (the first Kompass part) and filled in the 2nd part (MyCIC) to go to Canada again.

Man I’m at the snow and I’m getting pumped! lol

TJswish - 25 July 2015 11:41 AM

Just got my conditional acceptance letter (the first Kompass part) and filled in the 2nd part (MyCIC) to go to Canada again.

Where are you heading to this time?

Just booked my flight to Vancouver on October 21st!
I’ll be in Van from the 21st - 25th if anyone’s around and keen on a skate/ beer or something

danho - 26 July 2015 09:27 PM

I’m hoping to go to Fernie BC but am open to anywhere that gives me a Lifty job. Would prefer to do a lead hand type roll if possible but it’s not deal breaker smile

TJswish - 27 July 2015 04:15 PM
danho - 26 July 2015 09:27 PM

I’m hoping to go to Fernie BC but am open to anywhere that gives me a Lifty job. Would prefer to do a lead hand type roll if possible but it’s not deal breaker smile

Fernie seems like a cool place. I’d love to go back and work at Silverstar or back to Jasper and work at Marmot. Still trying to convince the missus.

jacksonflower - 12 July 2015 06:24 PM
J - 12 July 2015 05:18 PM

WOOOO!!!!
visa approved

canada here we come.

anyone else looking at the banff area?
been there before and wanna offer advice?

is it october yet?

Finally someone on here heading to Banff!

I’ll be there in late September/ early October as long as I can finish up at work by on time.

Probably the only advice I can offer is expect to stay a lot longer than you’ve initially planned haha, I have mates that have renewed their visa’s twice (planning to do it a third time) without heading home at all during that time.

Also it’s handy to have a car in Banff but it’s not too inconvenient if you don’t. It just makes getting up the hills and doing grocery runs in -30 weather a bit easier haha.

AND if you book a couple of weeks at a hostel while you look for a room to rent, book the 16 bed dorm at Samesun. It’s actually the old penthouse suite from when the building was a fancy hotel back in the day haha (complete with 3 bedrooms and a lounge/ tv area).

It’s the sickest little town man I know it has a reputation for being really touristy but I don’t get that vibe there.

Thanks for the info, the hostel sounds sweet.
might see ya round, I’ll be arriving early oct hopefully.
considering i don’t have that many plans to return anytime soon sounds like a great spot to park smile

Question re the visa approval.
Mine went thro with no hassle. The other half got submitted before mine, had all the same info, got asked for extra info (driving history) and has just gotten rejected for “not national police check” it has national police certificate across the top!! WTF is there anyway to appeal this? any one else had issues in the past? what have you done?

Where are you from? You really should be getting your police check from the AFP, not your local state. Yes they can go through, like yours, but they can also get rejected.

Get the police check from here: https://afpnationalpolicechecks.converga.com.au/pointCheckForm

Was it referring to the Police check or the Driving check not being a national certificate?
I was asked for a driving history check today but it specified that I get the VicRoads one.

The driving check was fine, just the vicrds thing
it was the national police check, which we got from qld that seemed to be the issue. dunno how its different from the national police check the afp do. but guess we try again with that one and hope its clean sailing. its just annoying to see that time and cash just gone without any chance to question it