The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread

Yep, that’ll do it.

Which is why I made this guide to try to stop people getting the incorrect one and having issues…

Boom, I’ve been approved to go back if I want to smile

Hi guys!

I’m hoping to get to Canada this season but it’s going to depend on if I get my visa in time, which I’ve only just started. I think it will come down to whether they accept my police certificate, which is from 2012.

Does anyone know how current the police cert needs to be? I haven’t been able to find this info.

Also congrats TJ! smile

Very likely you will be rejected. Police certificates have a shelf life of 6 months.

Feel free to post here before you do stuff, I’ve been through it twice and the other members multiple times.

Honestly mine took about 4 weeks start to finish. Apply for jobs as if you have the visa and if it doesn’t come through in time, just bail on the jobs. You still have about 3 months to get it which is enough time!

Thanks TJ, I’ll check with IEC before I submit but plan on getting a new one. Fingers crossed for some speedy processing.

Great thread by the way, best source of info out there!

Cheers bro. Where would you plan on heading if you went to Canada? Any idea of what job you would prefer?

Probably Whistler, just because its the biggest, more stuff to do, easier to get to, no car required, and hopefully not too hard to find a job/accommodation. Sounds like it has the best combo of pow and park as well. It would be my first time over there. Hopefully get there mid October, rock up to the job fair and see what there is, maybe something retail, guest relations or lifty, don’t really mind what it is, but planning to do part time so I have more time to board.

If I’m struggling to get a job or accommodation I might bail on Whistler and go to another mountain. Like you said I’ll have to start applying for a few jobs at different places and see what happens.

What other mountains are there where you can walk to the lifts and also have some sort of a park? I see your trying to head to Fernie, you been there before?

Welcome to Boardworld, Peli. shaka

The police checks need to be recent. Within 6 months if I remember correctly but no more than 12 months at most, so you’ll definitely need a fresh one either way.

Big White would be worth a consideration. Pretty much the whole town is ride-in, ride-out. They have a decent park (I haven’t been there in a while) and I think they upgraded some years ago with a new lift just to service the park. It’s a cool place for sure.

Fernie would be sick. I’ve never been there but I’ve always wanted to visit. Revelstoke is worth looking at as well (I have no idea about their park, though). TJ has done a season at Sun Peaks so I’m sure he can tell you more about that as well.

Whistler is an awesome place. It’s become my second home. I’d say give it a go before you give up on it. If you get cracking on everything now, you might have enough time to get it done. Just be prepared to hustle when the time comes (that’s Whistler for you). I’ll be over there again this season. If you make it over there, definitely catch up with the Boardworld crew.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a travel insurance company?
I thought I had my commonwealth bank (free) travel insurance sorted out but was told today that the insurance is void if I enter the country on a work visa haha ripped off.

You can likely get health insurance in BC or Alberta for free if you “live” there. Then you only really need Travel insurance if something gets stolen or your luggage gets lost on the flight.

Peli,

Sun Peaks is the 2nd biggest resort in Canada. Honestly if you go to any of the major resorts your probably not going to get bored quickly.

You don’t need a car at Sun Peaks, the village is reasonable (but still tiny compared to Whistler) and staff accom is only 2km from the village. Also very easy to hitch a ride if you want.

Only issue is that the only supermarket type place on the mountain is tiny and stupidly overpriced. So you generally get a group of people and go to Costco or Walmart in Kamloops for food. Getting a lift isn’t too hard, just sign up for the groups on facebook etc.

————————————————

Fernie is about 5km from the mountain resort. It is a much larger “town” and has a shuttle bus service which runs to and from the mountain each day for staff. e.g. - http://www.skifernie.com/images/pdf/FREE_STAFF_SHUTTLE-2013-14.pdf

There is also a Walmart in town but no costco. There is a cinema, ice skating rink and a few drinking holes. They also have the pizza chain “Boston Pizza” in town. Should be plenty to do while not boarding!

There is no staff accom but they have plenty of sites advertising and if you get in early, you can quite often get some good deals.

TJswish - 04 August 2015 04:43 PM

You can likely get health insurance in BC or Alberta for free if you “live” there. Then you only really need Travel insurance if something gets stolen or your luggage gets lost on the flight.

Yeah I was just planing on getting a few months travel insurance for the trip over there/ sightseeing etc before heading to Banff.

I got overcharged by flight centre the first time I went to Canada so I’m trying to be a bit smarter about all my expenses this time round haha.

So, that police check i was worried about getting in time… Applied yesterday at 11am, had an email by 7pm saying it was done and on its way! Gotta be some kind of record?

Also thanks for the info guys, still leaning towards Whistler. Will defiantly be keen to catch up if I make it over.

It’s annoying with some of the checks etc. My first police check never came and then the 2nd one I applied for came in like 4 days.

Then it says 2 weeks for the first part of the visa (took 3.5 weeks) and 8 weeks for the 2nd part of the visa (took 6 days)

Sometimes it’s the luck of the draw. I might have got a lazy person for the first part that was sick for 2 weeks and catching up on their queue and then the 2nd time I get someone who is on top of their game and killing it and was swooning over my devilish good looks!

Got my CAL over the weekend and I’ve applied for the 2nd part. I’ve basically decided on Whistler (or I’ll at least give it a good go first) and will book flights pretty soon.
Queue a bunch of newbie questions, both Whistler and general Canada/Vancouver related:

1. When do you need to get to Whistler in order to get accommodation? I’ll get there before the job fair of course, but just wondering how early I need to be there to not end up homeless or in a closet for $1600 a month. When do most people rock up?
2. Likewise, when do most seasonaires leave whistler?
3. I’ve read that mobiles have an area code similar to landlines in Aus? Does that mean I need to get one in Whistler, or can you get one in Vancouver and ask for a Whistler number?
4. Can you open a bank account while in Whistler, or does this need to be done in Vancouver?
5. Do I need to book hostels in Vancouver/Whistler in advance, or can I just wing it and book when I get there? Same with a bus from Van to Whistler? Do these things get booked out around this time or is it generally alright?
6. Does 1 day seem reasonable to get SIN, bank accounts etc set up in Vancouver?
7. As for Whistler season passes, assuming you won’t be given one, when’s the best time to buy or when does early bird end? And say you do this and then it turns out you end up working for the mountain or can get a spirit pass, can the one you bought be refunded?

Hopefully none of these questions are too stupid cheese