The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread

What BC health covers

What BC Health does not cover

Here you go. My GF and I did that, 6 months of travel insurance then apply for BC Health as soon as you hit 3 months. It can take a long time so i recommend applying as soon as you are eligible.

As far as im aware, i just need to intend to reside in alberta for more than 12 months.

What’s to stop me ‘intending’ even if I don’t? Would i run into any problems?

Nothing i guess. Except if they find out or have proof you do not in fact reside in Alberta.

deanobruce - 08 September 2015 03:08 AM

Nothing i guess. Except if they find out or have proof you do not in fact reside in Alberta.

Yeah cheers, we will both be residing in Alberta so hopefully we don’t run into any problems.

Funds and health insurance
The CBSA officer may ask you for proof of funds and proof of health insurance (covering medical care, hospitalization and repatriation to your country). Your insurance policy must be valid for the entire time you plan to stay in Canada.

You may be refused entry if you do not have insurance. If your insurance policy is valid for less than your expected stay, you may be issued a work permit that expires at the same time as your insurance. If this happens, you will not be able to apply for an extension of your work permit at a later date.

Just read that?!

is it a luck of the draw thing if the officer will only issue you with a permit because you only obtained travel insurance for only 6 months?

bass6153 - 09 September 2015 02:50 PM

Funds and health insurance
The CBSA officer may ask you for proof of funds and proof of health insurance (covering medical care, hospitalization and repatriation to your country). Your insurance policy must be valid for the entire time you plan to stay in Canada.

You may be refused entry if you do not have insurance. If your insurance policy is valid for less than your expected stay, you may be issued a work permit that expires at the same time as your insurance. If this happens, you will not be able to apply for an extension of your work permit at a later date.

Just read that?!

is it a luck of the draw thing if the officer will only issue you with a permit because you only obtained travel insurance for only 6 months?

I’ve never heard of anyone being refused entry or being given a visa that expires at the same time as your insurance, but yeah I do think it is a luck of the draw.

By the sounds of it you’d have to be extremely unlucky to get pulled up on it.
Everyone I’ve spoken to about it says that they ask to see their acceptance letter and that’s pretty much it.

They barely even looked at my travel documents when I entered… I highly doubt they would go to the effort of granting you a shorter visa (more work for the admin person at the airport earning sweet f*** all…)

Just got the job as lift host in Whistler, so stoked!

Thanks TJ your thread really helped me out!

Thepowpow - 19 September 2015 12:24 PM

Just a quick question, did you interview in person?

From all the thread I read and even the feedback i get from the Whistler Blackcomb HR team is that they don’t do phone/skype interviews.

Yet I keep seeing cases of people (both 1st timers at Whistler and returners) getting jobs before even getting to whistler?

Any contacts/advice would be great as I would love to secure a job as soon as possible.

Congrats man, glad I helped. If you end up in Fernie or I end up at Whis, hit us up for a beer smile

furorsekka - 21 September 2015 12:00 AM
Thepowpow - 19 September 2015 12:24 PM

Just a quick question, did you interview in person?

From all the thread I read and even the feedback i get from the Whistler Blackcomb HR team is that they don’t do phone/skype interviews.

Yet I keep seeing cases of people (both 1st timers at Whistler and returners) getting jobs before even getting to whistler?

Any contacts/advice would be great as I would love to secure a job as soon as possible.

First time getting a job over there. And I did my interview over skype.

As far as contacts go I can’t really help you out there sorry :/

I should be able to hook you up with a job at the bar i work at.

I thought I would re-invigorate my account and activity again, now that #winteriscoming wink

Just a friendly welcome and howdy-ho to everyone new and old coming/staying/returning to Whistler for the 2015/2016 season! Dan and I were super lucky and grateful to have made some truly life-long friendships through the Boardworld crew last season and I really can’t wait for this season to start!

I’ve been a bit quiet in the forums over summer, experiencing FOMO of my southern-hemi counterparts, as they’ve enjoyed an awesome Aus/NZ season. Summer is my ‘hibernation’ time and now we’ve been getting some snow on the glaciers and peaks here again, I’m definitely feeling ‘the itch’!

I’ve been living here coming up to 2 years now, and will be staying for another 2 years (with a current option to be sponsored for a PR visa through my employer). I’m not really into the Whistler ‘scene’ too much (for example the nightlife etc. because personally - I’m too old for that s%^t wink ), but I sure do love riding and hanging out with fun peeps on the hill.

My all-time faves have definitely been the BW crew here - Rhys & Alysha, Jez & Michelle, Andy A, Andy S, Dylan, Finney, Rob, Basti, Imke, and many more. There is an incredible local Whistler Boardworld community here, of people who are definitely in the know about living and working here, but also riding, conditions (including backcountry) and just so many secret spots and tips - too many to poke a stick at. So definitely reach out!

Everyone new to the area, don’t stress - 95% of this town are aussies, hence the term “Whistralia”. It’s a super fun, chill, cool place to be, but it’s also relatively expensive - so be warned!

But, it’ll be the time of your lives!

See you all around town grin

BOOM. made the cut cheese

haha why helloooo lulu. good to see you out and aboot. although, tbh i’ve not been on here either. To much bike/hike shenanigans. looking forward to dusting off my boardgame skills with you and dan this winter.

How does everyone go about getting the most out of their money with the low exchange rate?

Is the best option to use cash until you set up a Canadian account and then get your larger chunk of money transferred from your Australian account?

I’ve used a Commonwealth bank travel card before and I lost around 5-10 cents per dollar under the exchange rate at the time.