The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Nike Snowboarding is Shutting Down — CONFIRMED (AUS/NZ)

Companies make profit. It’s if they give back some of their profit to the sport is the question.

I have only heard 32 boots you get a season out of them and they are nackered. They really need more choices in the industry for your feet but the production costs would be very high.

^^ u serious about only getting a season out of them ?? i was considering 32 prime.

Lanox, I wouldn’t worry yet…

Define 1 season.

In Oz 1 season = 30 days at best for more ppl.

In N America 1 season you can get well over 100 days.

I haven’t heard that 32 boots wear out quickly. Actually I have heard that Nike boots pack in/wear quickly, but that’s a matter of sizing and they way they pack, which everyone isn’t used to.

Also would depend on how you treat your boots, everyone is different. Maybe we need to hear from someone who’s used 32 boots…. anyone.. anyone? Bueller? =P

Yeah, first I’ve heard of premmy wear in 32?????

Pretty sure Mika wears 32’s, so give him a PM!!!!!

I hate my 32s. No support or dampenin in the soles. Got real soft real quick

I’m on around day 30-35ish (just over a month by will have to double check) on my 32s and they are totally fine… Heaps comfy and apart from cosmetic wear (a few scuffs etc) they are as new…  and for a girl I ride fairly hard… (keep up with all the guys in our group and hit the small and medium parks and heaps of flat land stuff - apart from packing out inside they haven’t gotten soft on the outside at all..)

My last pair were also 32s and they lasted me 2.5 seasons… Probs about 70-80 days - alot of them slush too and are still getting lent out to friends gfs when they come down..

* I wanted something a bit more stiffer but not too stiff when my riding got better… And upgraded earlier than really *needed* but still love my 32s!

But each to their own… Probably comes down to preference, riding style, and what stiffness they boots were rated etc.

I’ve been wearing 32 primes this season and rate them way more than my previous burtons.

The liner/inner lace system works really well (I finally have no heel lift) and my troublesome ankle bone only gets a little sore after a couple days of heavy riding with everything done up really tight.

I immediately noticed the increased stiffness/increase in responsiveness so probably not great for park rats.

They still look pretty much the same as day one (I take care of my boots with a boot dryer/sun etc) the only exception is the bit of rubber on the toe is starting to wear/lift but I have a suspicion that my toes are hitting the snow on big toe side carves (they are a bigger boot than the burtons externally)

Sorry Lano I can’t confirm if that bit is neoprene as I don’t have my boots here with me. I’ve got a feeling it may be but not sure. The bit above that area where the laces thread through is a harder plastic to increase the stiffness.

The guys at Pleasure Snowboard Magazine just released a full Q&A with Nike which you can read below.
Original article here.

NIKE SNOWBOARDING STATEMENT AND Q & A - FINAL

Nike SB will focus its innovation, design and marketing resources on its biggest brand driver and growth opportunity, skateboarding. The current Holiday 14 Nike Snowboarding collection will be the final at retail.

Q & A:
What will happen to Nike Snowboarding sponsored athletes?

We will continue to support Nike sponsored snowboarders with promotional and competition gear though the end of their current contracts.

What will be the final season for Nike Snowboarding and products?
The current Holiday 2014 Nike Snowboarding seasonal collection will be the last that Nike will bring to retail.

What kind of revenue did Nike Snowboarding generate for the company?
We don’t break out revenues by individual categories within our action sports portfolio.

What are Nike action sports latest revenues?
Currently we are in our quiet period in advance of quarterly earnings and we cannot discuss financial results at this time.

Will employees be laid off? If so, how many and will you offer severance?
At this moment we cannot confirm if there will be impacted employees. As necessary, we will endeavor to find alternative roles wherever possible.

If loss of employment occurs, Nike will appropriately manage and support our employees, in consultation with employee representative bodies where applicable.

Why make this move after investing so heavily in snowboarding over the years?
This decision will enable us to solely focus on Nike SB as our highest-potential growth opportunity.

Nike will continue to design innovative products, create exciting experiences and support our athletes and retail partners as we’ve done across many sports for the past 40 years. 

Is this a case of a “big brand” coming into the market and leaving when the “going gets tough”.
Nike SB is fully vested in skateboarding and has been over the last decade. FY14 was Nike SB’s most successful year to date. We are completely committed to continuing our support for skateboarding and athletes, and feel that the best way to do this is concentrating our efforts in this area.

Why is Nike Snowboarding going away?
In order to sharpen our focus in skateboarding, Nike has decided to drive our activity through the Nike SB Brand.

What will happen to Nike sponsored snowboarding events?
We will not be moving forward with any Nike snowboarding sponsored events.

What about Nike snow goggles?
We will continue to develop a Nike branded goggle line.

Nike Snowboarding goggles, anyone? Haha, are you fucking kidding me!

They’re gettin out of Snowboarding but still want you to buy their Goggles?????

LOL Idiots!!!!!

I just read that Q&A and it translates to me as such:

“We get better ROI from skateboarding gear, too much money have to be spent into R&D and tech for Nike snowboarding to get a good return.
So you guys don’t get totally PO’ed we’ll keep sprinkling our money albeit alot less, until such a time as we can pull out without notice.
But just in case, we wanna keep our toes dipped in so when the time comes we can exploit the snowboarding market. So buy our goggles”

Great summary grunge!

Wow it seems the anti Nike “Don’t do it” campaign needs to be kick started again!

Am sure i have some stickers from back in the day floating around home somewhere

Yeah…

I seriously regret all my nike gear.

I mean, I really thought they’d be different, I was so on board the Nike bandwagon right up until I heard the announcement of their 6.0 gear being dropped, and merged with Nike Snowboarding. That was a big red flag to me, as it means not only are they stopping their expansion, but they’re reducing their range and size. This was in the 2011-2012 season.

But at least I didn’t buy it at full retail price. Yaaay for being a cheapass…
That being said I’m not adverse to marketing, I do like the swoosh on the whole, but this wham bam thank you ma’am really got me thinking about what I’m unconsciously supporting.

I think they’re keeping the goggle line as they can borrow their tech from their sunnies range and license the anti fog from their relationship with Dragon. In other words, great Return On Investment.

I ain’t ever buying a new pair of nike goggles, plus this seasons offering looks like shit:
http://snowboardscatalog.com/post/68548975652/nike-goggles-2014

Clearly a half arse job, trying to ride on a few other companies’ design. Niakley or Niagons anyone?

all i see in that is MONEY MONEY MONEY AND MORE MONEY MONEY MONEY ane MORE MONEY MONEY

EAT A DICK you fucks hat NIKE WITH PASSION…

I don’t see why everyone is so butthurt with Nike leaving the industry or hating on their boots now they’re leaving the industry (whereas you love the boots beforehand). They leave, they leave what does it matter? It’s not like they’re putting out some shitty product and ripping off customers. Snowboarding is probably the only industry I see people getting mad about this sort of thing, which boggles my mind because we buy stuff from big corporation for every other product outside of snowboarding.

But then again, I don’t get the whole core vs big corporate. A company makes good product I buy it, if not I don’t.