The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Nike Snowboarding is Shutting Down — CONFIRMED (AUS/NZ)

cords - 27 September 2014 08:39 PM

yep TBH I see this as my best opportunity to get myself some kick ass boots while every shop is trying to get rid of them on sale. haha

clap  clap  clap  clap

Yep haha, same here!

Dunno if they’re gonna end up much cheaper though?????

Shops are still gonna try and make their margin in order to pay the bills, and supply and demand might keep the price high if anything?????

Somethin to think about though, is in the likelyhood of somethin breakin on them, you might be lookin at throwin them in the bin, cause Nike doesn’t look as though they’re gonna give a shit wether ya handed ya hard earned cash over to them or not?????

local store here has them for 50% off this weekend actually.
Unfortunately I don’t have my custom inners up here with me so can’t purchase as I’d want a proper fitting teacherboy
At that price though, they wouldn’t have to make it through too many days of riding to be worth the money.

Also, as for the list above…I think saying Morrow, 5150, sapient etc (plus a few others on the list I’ve forgotten) are other major boot companies is stretching it quite a bit.

My argument, is that the major boot companies are also big companies anyway so Nike’s not really hurting any small companies. K2 and Ride are big companies, 32, DC and Vans’ pretty big, Burton and Salomon are big. As for the others, I wouldn’t really consider them major player in boots, I mean who here wears Celsius or Deeluxe (maybe 1 or 3 ppl)? I don’t think they even sell them here in Vancouver. Don’t think a lotta people consider Flows when buying boots, since their focus is on bindings. Lamar, sapient, 5150 come on I don’t think anyone ever buys those stuff.

Flow Boots actually get a lot of good feedback!!!!!

Even though Nike didnt make the dollars they would’ve liked, can you imagine the amount of boot sales they took out of the market?????

These sales are a loss for not only the big players, but also the smaller guys!!!!!

Every pair of boots made by Nike took jobs away from each and every other manufacturer!!!!!

skip11 - 29 September 2014 03:45 AM

My argument, is that the major boot companies are also big companies anyway so Nike’s not really hurting any small companies. K2 and Ride are big companies, 32, DC and Vans’ pretty big, Burton and Salomon are big. As for the others, I wouldn’t really consider them major player in boots, I mean who here wears Celsius or Deeluxe (maybe 1 or 3 ppl)? I don’t think they even sell them here in Vancouver. Don’t think a lotta people consider Flows when buying boots, since their focus is on bindings. Lamar, sapient, 5150 come on I don’t think anyone ever buys those stuff.

Your argument assumes that only someone who buys from the major brands will switch to Nike.

I take it you’ve never gotten properly fitted for boots before? (Or you have a pretty good generic foot that fits for most brands.)
One of the first things you get told when getting fitted for boots is that it’s not about the colors or brands, it’s about the fit of the boots.

Plus you assume complete core brand loyalty to smaller boot companies, which is fair enough, but doesn’t hold 100% true.
The market share they take will adversely effect smaller boot companies too.

Look; I know I’m going to get flamed for saying this, and it’s not out of disrespect to anyone, I just don’t know how to eloquently say this, but the reasoning for the “Y so butthurt” responses on Nike pulling out shows that there is no understanding of the ramifications of a globlized corporate company trading on numbers.
There’s absolutely NOTHING wrong with that, it just shows the level of immaturity in understanding this, and I think only time and exposure can “rectify” this. (Also, there is nothing wrong with being immature, I’m not using it as an insult.)

And just before anybody start the “you talk crap you just don’t like big brands” line, I have Nike gear and I made the switch to them, and I usually try to support what I consider smaller core brands, and before this I went out of my way to avoid Burton.

skip to be honest i wouldn’t care much at all if they have pulled out but still gave a shit about people that have purchased they boots.

My issue with them is that laclock that is worth 10c to them they will not replace it or even gave a shit but tell me sorry we cant help you.

fine you pulling out at least support the customers that have supported you all this time.

Hold on…

1. Sapient went out of business a few years ago.
2. I don’t think they ever sold boots, as far as I remember (could be wrong on this one).

Does anyone have information contrary to the above?

@grunge: Fair enough, I understand your point of view.

I take it you’ve never gotten properly fitted for boots before?

I have actually. And I’ve also tried a bunch of different brands before that as well. Burton fits the best, maybe Salomon as well, but dislike their lacing system.

@lanox:

My issue with them is that laclock that is worth 10c to them they will not replace it or even gave a shit but tell me sorry we cant help you.

Ok yeah, that’s pretty bad if they won’t replace a lacelock lol. Can you buy them seperately though?

@rider26: To think about it, that’s right. I haven’t seen Sapient for a while.

^^ they do not sell them but they do ship them to shops where they stock the boots i managed to get my hands on some from shop in USA.

But yes the service and responds that you get is shocking and that is where my negativity is coming from .

Bravo, Halldor Helgason! Well said.

So based on what Nico and Halldor said. Nike Snowboarding is rad but Nike the higher up sucks.

I’m really not bothered by this all too much. The only part I don’t like about this is that really good riders will now have to find a new home and may not have the payroll to make as many awesome videos.

Honestly, I actually think it’s good to have big money in snowboarding. It allows us to do great things. But that’s all. I respect Nike for what they’ve put into snowboarding (rider support, comps, films).

In saying that, I’ve never liked Nike boots or ever thought they would “make it” unless they bled money into it for another 10 years. The only companies I buy from are companies that come from the bottom up. (Burton is one of these, whether u like it or not tongue wink )

Nikes were 3 sizes too big on the outside for a reason… they weren’t built by snowboarders. Then when everyone complained, they rebuilt them so they were only 2 sizes too big. Function should always come first. I literally couldn’t use them, even if I wanted to. There is a lot to be said for earning your place over time, rather than buying into it. And the products always reflect that. It’s a good lesson for any company coming into snowboarding. The experience of trial and error, can’t be replaced with any amount of money.
I actually think they did the best they could, they should have just taken it slower.

So respectfully I’ll just say thanks for the $$$ Nike! And thanks for spending it in a way that helped our sport.  v

Andy I agree with you there.

For me I know it’s because of the obvious disconnect b/t the ppl hired for Nike Snowboarding and Nike Global.

Like Halldor said they have a good core team and it shows when it was release, but it seemed as if their hands were always tied up by the big(ger) wigs.

In any case, for those of you living in Melbourne, the DFO docklands Nike discount store has the Lunarendor LED QS for $300. Bargain if you want to resell. LOL.