The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Boardworld Meet up, Sydney City ~ Walking Distance of Central

Ok Sydney kids, we’ll be in town on Tuesday the 5th of August, who wants to catch up?

If we head to the same place as last time, I will be mega stoked. Jez wants to play wasabi roulette again smile

Who’s keen?

New avatar Azz!  thumbsup

Should be free on Tuesday mate!! where you thinking of going?

Azz - 20 July 2014 06:11 PM

Ok Sydney kids, we’ll be in town on Tuesday the 5th of August, who wants to catch up?

If we head to the same place as last time, I will be mega stoked. Jez wants to play wasabi roulette again smile

Who’s keen?

hahaha Azz he was soft from the memory…

I might be up for it.

Michelle and I are in. thumbsup

Japanese place in Hay Market.

Ozzy knows where.

Azz - 20 July 2014 09:15 PM

Japanese place in Hay Market.

Ozzy knows where.

I’m guessing Wagaya?

Just looking over it and what an odd menu! I lost the wasabi roullete big time on my first time to the Tokyo Tsukiji fish markets. Ordered a really fancy quite pricey and fresh sushi platter for breakfast only to find every piece had wasabi hidden in it (which I’ve since discovered is pretty standard) I battled through it but I’ve never developed a taste for the horrible green stuff.

Went back last year and ordered the same again making sure there would be no wasabi. Turned out to be a cracking meal without a screaming palette and running nose!

Completely off topic but while talking Japanese in Sydney has anyone found a really good Okonomiyaki? It’s a staple street comfort food you get everywhere in Japan (along with Takoyaki that puts our entree sized balls to shame) but I’m yet to find a good Okonomiyaki out here and I crave it!

Okonomiyaki is one thing i didnt really fancy once i tried it. Funny enough tho, a mate and i were discussing how much we missed japanese food at the pub last night

Wasabi is supposed to be added to soy (and the like), then food dipped into said combination!!!!!

Otherwise it’s like eatin English mustard off a teaspoon!!!!!

Can’t say I’ve even heard of an Okonomiyaki joint over here????? Maybe ya standard Teppanyaki places might have it on their menu by off chance?????

DylanV - 21 July 2014 11:17 AM

Okonomiyaki is one thing i didnt really fancy once i tried it. Funny enough tho, a mate and i were discussing how much we missed japanese food at the pub last night

If ya not one for the “gamey” taste of fish, ask for it without the bonito flakes!!!!!

That’s my standard request!!!!! LOL

Or cook ya own and leave out!!!!!

DylanV - 21 July 2014 11:17 AM

Interesting, having said that my travel partner on my last trip wasn’t too fond of the ginger in it.

Yeah I know what you mean mate it’s just such good hearty food with lots of variety available at pretty much any place you walk into. Generally healthy, cheap and filling.

I never asked you but what was your favorite and what are you missing?

Mizu Kuma - 21 July 2014 11:20 AM

Wasabi is supposed to be added to soy (and the like), then food dipped into said combination!!!!!

I wish this was always the case but in some of the finer sushi making places the head chef always seems to put a dab of it between the rice and the fish. I went back and watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi and noticed even the master does the same!

Mizu Kuma - 21 July 2014 11:22 AM

Or cook ya own and leave out!!!!!

Haha yeah I love cooking my own Okonomiyaki over there even if I did burn the shit out of my first attempt. I went to a nice authentic Japanese place yesterday in Wollongong and once again was sad to not see it on the menu. I have had it at a couple of places but it’s an entree hockey puck sized thing and you don’t get the crunchy cabbage goodness. I’ve often considered cooking it at home but the ingredients list is pretty long when cooking for one.

I eventually developed a taste for the bonito flakes I think it completes the dish. I love it most on their huge piping hot takoyaki balls (which I wouldn’t dare try make myself) covered in sauce and mayo with a few flakes on top. Damn it I’m getting hungry now!

Go to Toshi’s in Mittagong!!!!!

Great Takoyaki, along with pretty much everythin else on the menu!!!!!

Awesome sake selection too!!!!!

Only thing not authentic Japanese is the price!!!!!

I’m in grin

drc13 - 21 July 2014 10:46 AM

I’m guessing Wagaya?

Yep that’s the one

drc13 - 21 July 2014 10:46 AM

Just looking over it and what an odd menu!

It’s kind of all over the shop I agree. But its Delicious!!

Are you coming?

smile