The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Thermals suggestions

I am trying to find myself a comfortable pair of thermal leggings without much luck. Surprisingly rhythm has next to nothing, and Adrenalin here only have Burton and MonsRoyale.

Burtons smallest size is still too loose on me and I can’t justify the price of the Mons stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions on brands and where I can get them?

* Jez feel free to move this to Equipment and products, just wanted people to see it smile

Icebreaker ~ Merino

Online I guess?

Icebreaker can be very pricey as well.

Your standard polypropylene thermals will do the job and they are quite cost effective. A brand like Sherpa does these. I don’t find these as good as brands such as Burton who use the DryRide fabrics etc., but they are warm and breathable, so they will do the trick.

If you want something better, also look at Le Bent. They are making some really great stuff (bamboo and merino blends). I’m not sure where the pricing fits in with Mons Royale, but tops and bottoms retail for $99.95. Quality-wise, they are awesome! http://www.lebent.com (let me know if you’re interested and I *might* be able to order what you want).

I will move this into Equipment and Products soon.

Icebreaker, no question. Different weights and lengths so you will find something to suitour style. Still wearing the same ones bought ten years ago, and if wear them at home, not just the snow. Treat them like a pair of jeans, they take a clothes drier fine, and don’t stink. Sure they cost a lot, but are excellent value for money.

Anything Merino wool will cost you a mint. They last for ages and are the highest quality but if you want affordable ones just go to a camping store. I use some my uncle gave me as he works in the big freezers for McCains…aaahh you done it again.

Uniqlo!

I also wear Kathmandu Polprop ones. They have a sale at the moment.

And I wear my SKINS as well.

ozgirl - 09 July 2014 02:31 PM

Uniqlo!

Actually if they do leggings I want them. Dark got a long sleeve thermal while we are in Melbourne and he is shocked at how good it is!

Just keep in mind that if you’ve never worn Merino before, it can make some people itch!!!!!

blizzard_22 - 09 July 2014 02:32 PM
ozgirl - 09 July 2014 02:31 PM

Uniqlo!

Actually if they do leggings I want them. Dark got a long sleeve thermal while we are in Melbourne and he is shocked at how good it is!

http://www.uniqlo.com/au/store/women-heattech-leggings-0779950005.html

Yep - no one seems to believe me but they are the best!

I only wear my Kathmandu ones now on warm days to absorb sweat!

They look like they’re made out of a similar material to my Nike Thermals?????

Mine look kinda like a Lycra rash vest material, but keep me warm and dry!!!!!

I only wear them with a t shirt and jacket, from over here to Canada and Japan!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 09 July 2014 03:23 PM

kinda like a Lycra rash vest material,

These are a soft brushed cotton feel.

Uber comfy but oh so warm.

Blizz,

My housemate and I are going to Uniqlo tomorrow to get her thermals.

Want me to grab a pair for you and bring them down?

I can return them if the don’t fit. Uniqlo have a great return policy.

I generally just wear skins but if it’s SUPER cold I’ll throw on some thermals as well.

I bought a pair of Rojo ones on the hill last year as I was freezing and they are super warm.

Otherwise Mac Pac are currently having a sale on all their Merino thermals - http://www.macpac.com.au/winter-sale/merino-for-women

Mons Royale make some very nice looking gear but it’s just so expensive.

I can’t speak highly enough about 100% merino base layers (I’m talking tops as I generally don’t need bottoms).

I wear a combination of icebreaker and smartwool products. For a clean freak like me the main advantage other than the usual comfort/wicking ability etc is the natural anti bacterial nature of it meaning the stuff just doesn’t stink even after a few days of wearing it in a row (something you have to do when travelling lightly)

Mine got a workout during all my day hikes on my recent trip to NZ and held up great and I’m planning on ordering a few more ASAP.

Thanks all smile

Oz got me a pair from Uniqlo and I have been wearing them under my work pants the past couple days and they rock. Super comfortable and very warm. (Our office is extremely cold, may as well sit outside!)

Top I usually just wear a long sleeve or 3/4 sleeve tee. If it’s going to be really cold I’ll wear Under Armour cold gear. Compression and warmth, win win!

Blizz why do you feel the need for compression on arms and not legs?

Just curious as I feel i only need em for legs…