The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Thermals suggestions

ozgirl - 15 July 2014 12:11 PM

Blizz why do you feel the need for compression on arms and not legs?

Just curious as I feel i only need em for legs…

I haven’t found a pair of compression leggings that fit me well enough yet. If I did I would have them too.

Have you tried on SKINs?

I’m with Azz and DRC - superfine merino wool all the way.  I typically wear 2-3 light layers under my Burton jacket.  Sometimes I’ll swap out one for a heavier layer such as a fleece if it’s a cold day.  It doesn’t stink even after days of wear and being wool it will retain some of its warmth even when wet.  I have some IceBreaker and Macpac but also some cheap Aldi merino layers that work fine.  There is an IceBreaker outlet in Melbourne where IB stuff can be had for a reasonable price, especially when they have a sale with additional discounts.

With my excema (which is always worst in winter) I can’t wear icebreaker :-(

I have borrowed it occasionally and like it but i can’t always wear it.

Was talking with someone about ones called “smart wool” she claims she can’t wear ice breaker but “these are sooo soft”. I felt them and they were not soft!

Wool is wool is wool and will never be soft!

And I’m a girl so i don’t stink (and my mum does my laundry raspberry)

My favorite so far is last season’s (2013-2014) quiksilver base layer Travis Rice. The material is soooo nice and it’s not too warm. I’m never a fan of merino wool, I don’t get what the hype is all about. Not comfy for me.

I just bought some Merino on MacPac sale, worried its going to be TOO warm as I get hot easily!

I’m really keen to try some of the bamboo/merino blends which are becoming more popular. I just purchased a face mask and socks from Le Bent. They are meant to be very high performance but a lot more comfortable than 100% merino. They feel super nice to the touch but I am yet to try it snowboarding.

I’ve never been a fan of 100% merino either. I know they perform great; I just dislike the feel on my skin.

Mudhoney - 15 July 2014 01:49 PM

I’m with Azz and DRC - superfine merino wool all the way. There is an IceBreaker outlet in Melbourne where IB stuff can be had for a reasonable price, especially when they have a sale with additional discounts.

I was actually hoping to pickup some icebreaker gear at a decent price in NZ considering I was walking through the paddocks with the very same sheep their gear was made from. Unfortunately the prices were stupidly high so I’ll resort to importing them from OS for much less. Out of interest what weight have you been using? Most of my gear is the Oasis 200 lightweight stuff but I’m considering buying a few new tops in the midweight 260 but didn’t know how much warmer they would be.

Go big or go home..

I would suggest