The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Snowboard Demo Days @Hotham 5-6 July 2014 - Reviews

I spotted some demo tents at the top of Village Chair today.  Some of the brands available were Lib, Gnu, Roxy, Slash, Yes, Flux, Nitro and Capita.  I made straight for the Yes/Jones/Slash/Flux tent manned by none other than Amine and his buddy.  I had a ride of the following boards today:
. 2013 Yes Greats 152
. 2014? Jones Mountain Twin 152?
. 2015 Slash Happy Place 154
. 2014? Jones Aviator 156

The snow was wet and chopped up and there was a freezing wind at the top, so maybe not perfect conditions.  I liked the Greats although it felt a fair bit stiffer and maybe a bit heavier than I had expected.  It carved really nicely and handled today’s wet and chopped up snow well.  I also liked the Mountain Twin which felt more playful than I expected.  I’m not sure what to make of the Happy Place.  At first it felt great but I didn’t do too well on it after a few runs.  Maybe not the board for me.  The Aviator felt dreadful noodling around at low speed but if you point it and let it fly it really bombs.  I wouldn’t have that as my everyday ride but it would be a great choice for a carve board or maybe a freeride board for a really good rider.

I plan to go back tomorrow and sample some more of their wares, hopefully including the 420 they have there.  Amine came back from one run on it with a huge grin.

Nice!!!!!

Like a kid in a candy store!!!!!

Only the candy is free!!!!!

Yeah they were awesome dudes.  They kept suggesting new rides for me to try even though they were obviously freezing and their fingers must have been near frostbitten.

With some freshies in that forecast, I can sense another 420 acquisition appearin in the BW Crew Quiver Pages of History?????

Especially with a Japow Trip on the Cards!!!!! shaka

i got to ride my 420 last weekend, man im glad i made that purchase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are gonna cost me money!!!!!

Wildman is up there, he has been demoing heaps of boards.
He has been riding with those guys, top blokes who really know their product and shred.

Muddy, have a ride of a Torstein, Wildman reckons it whipped him like a bitch LOL

shaka

Had a ride of a 2015 Yes 420 148 and 2015 Yes Basic 152.  Loved both of these boards and I can see why people rave about them.  The 420 felt great for general foolery.  I didn’t manage to find any untracked pow so I had to make do with Slalom Gully slush bumps.  The board didn’t feel as slow as I had expected edge-to-edge.  It felt super maneuverable and left me with a smile.

The Basic was probably my favourite board of the lot.  It rides a lot like my Tasman but also has the ice-gripping edges.  I didn’t notice the base being slow despite being extruded (Amine says there’s actually a grey area between sintered and extruded and different manufacturers often mix up the terms).  The board did feel nice and light and not super damped.  This would be an excellent choice for a do-anything board.

Thanks again to Amine and his mate and all the other distributors that turned up.

good to hear the Yes Basic doing well ^^^

I’m actually cracking the plastic and waxing mine tonight - Should be able ride it in 3 weeks!

Great stuff, mate!

Do you mind if I move this thread to Equipment and Products?

rider26 - 07 July 2014 04:24 PM

Great stuff, mate!

Do you mind if I move this thread to Equipment and Products?

Yeah go ahead. I actually intended to put it there.

I’m sure you enjoyed your riding demos there. Do you know where and when will be their next spot for Demo Days?

Great reviews mud, thanks for sharing!

phyllisbliss - 09 July 2014 12:16 PM

I’m sure you enjoyed your riding demos there. Do you know where and when will be their next spot for Demo Days?

sorry no, I did not ask.  You could maybe ask rider26 to see if can find out via Amine.

Azz - 06 July 2014 08:13 AM

Wildman is up there, he has been demoing heaps of boards.
He has been riding with those guys, top blokes who really know their product and shred.

Muddy, have a ride of a Torstein, Wildman reckons it whipped him like a bitch LOL

shaka

Didn’t get a chance unfortunately.  All the demo tents were packing up after lunch on the second day so I missed my chance on a few other boards.

StamfordKid - 07 July 2014 02:25 PM

good to hear the Yes Basic doing well ^^^

I’m actually cracking the plastic and waxing mine tonight - Should be able ride it in 3 weeks!

Great choice I reckon.  I can see why so many people love this board.  The flex and profile feel just right.