The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Trick Tips With Mitch Faber

Hey Mitch, I’m a pretty experienced beginner Skater. For example, I can Ollie, 50-50, Axle stall, And drop in on almost anything. I watched your video on how to kickflip. I can pop and flip the board but, I cannot land my front foot on the board only my back. I have been practicing for days, almost weeks and I still cant land my front foot. Can you Help?

Hey Mitch,

i am having problems with my BS180 i can get m ollie 90 degrees and land but i cant get the full 180 and land, please help.

Also with my pop shuvits i can land them but only on the nose and i cant get them properly also please tell me what im doing wrong.

yours sincerely kean miles

flipsk8r - 02 April 2012 01:23 AM

Hey Mitch, I’m a pretty experienced beginner Skater. For example, I can Ollie, 50-50, Axle stall, And drop in on almost anything. I watched your video on how to kickflip. I can pop and flip the board but, I cannot land my front foot on the board only my back. I have been practicing for days, almost weeks and I still cant land my front foot. Can you Help?

hi mate.
oh kickflip problems… well front foot not getting on..
here is what you do practice flipping board but do not try and land on it..
pop with back foot than slip back foot of to the ground do a normal flick wit front foot but keep front foot on board.
do this for a wile until you land one foot kickflips every time with front foot on. than get back on it and try again.
but landing with both feet.

you need to show your front foot what to do..

oood luck.

keanmiles - 02 April 2012 10:58 AM

Hey Mitch,

i am having problems with my BS180 i can get m ollie 90 degrees and land but i cant get the full 180 and land, please help.

Also with my pop shuvits i can land them but only on the nose and i cant get them properly also please tell me what im doing wrong.

yours sincerely kean miles

back 180s are all in the shoulders spin.put alot of energy into your twist.with a snappy ollie.

the shuv just take it slow small pop and control them with your feet.
and remember jump forward on to it.

good luck

Hi Mitch,

Just wondering if you could upload some videos for some more transition tricks, i suck at skating street but have heaps of fun at waterloo mini and maroubra bowl. Maybe some tips on some of the grinds and stalls would be useful?

Thanks heaps!

Ryan

Hey Ryan, welcome to Boardworld. smile

Have you seen these trick tips?

Drop In: https://www.boardworld.com.au/skateboarding/content/category/trick-tip-drop-in/

Axle Stall: https://www.boardworld.com.au/skateboarding/content/category/axle-stall-trick-tip/

Rock to Fakie: https://www.boardworld.com.au/skateboarding/content/category/rock-to-fakie-trick-tip/

Feeble to Fakie: https://www.boardworld.com.au/skateboarding/content/category/feeble-to-fakie-trick-tip/

Those are the only transition trick tips we’ve filmed so far. We are in the process of filming a whole new lot of trick tips. Do you have any suggestions for transition trick tips you’d like to see?

i didn’t got a kickflip and a high ollie

What?

Thanks, looking forward to it!

Yeah, I’ve got most of those tricks down now. Maybe some some videos of the intermediate mini ramp tricks like a frontside 50/50, blunt stalls and some disasters? I’m having trouble getting my weight/centre of gravity right when I attempt these.

Cheers

Ryan

Thanks Ryan. We will do our best to get more transition trick tips filmed.

Meanwhile, make yourself at home here on the forums. cool smile

i’m sorry, but this might be a really long post. So, i’ve been practicing ollie. i can get it right about half of the time standing still, i’ve only done it once rolling. how long did you take to get it right, and to ollie over things? its only been about a week since i traded my now-destroyed mongoose board for a Stereo, with wheels from Better. i’m waiting for a pack of bones reds, so i used the mongoose bearings for a while before they broke. anyway back on topic, its easier with the new board but im getting sort of frustrated because i practiced on the old one for a while and barely got anywhere and i’ve been total practicing about 2 months. also, one of the main problems is landing on the bolts with my foot in a good position that’s not too far backside. i would just love some advice, thank you!

When I go to do a 50 50, my front truck always lands first on the ledge. Advice would be greatly apreaciated. thanks!

likeaboss - 27 May 2012 10:06 PM

When I go to do a 50 50, my front truck always lands first on the ledge. Advice would be greatly apreaciated. thanks!

don’t sweat it dude. skip the 50 50 and go straight to learning krooked grinds

metoob - 22 April 2012 10:04 PM

i’m sorry, but this might be a really long post. So, i’ve been practicing ollie. i can get it right about half of the time standing still, i’ve only done it once rolling. how long did you take to get it right, and to ollie over things? its only been about a week since i traded my now-destroyed mongoose board for a Stereo, with wheels from Better. i’m waiting for a pack of bones reds, so i used the mongoose bearings for a while before they broke. anyway back on topic, its easier with the new board but im getting sort of frustrated because i practiced on the old one for a while and barely got anywhere and i’ve been total practicing about 2 months. also, one of the main problems is landing on the bolts with my foot in a good position that’s not too far backside. i would just love some advice, thank you!

I’m no pro but before when I skated, I skated for 2 years and could barely ollie. I think I only managed to ollie up a curb less that 5 times ever. It takes time and lots of practice. Watch some how-to vids [again] and keep working at it. You can do it right half the time, eh? keep practicing til you get it right every time, then do it moving

metoob - 22 April 2012 10:04 PM

Hey metoob, your new set up sounds like it is going to be much better than your Mongoose board. The first board I owned was a mongoose set up too (back when I first skated 10yrs ago). I learnt to ollie on it and roll around in the parks, but when I up graded to a proper set up and my first decent deck, a Real, I definately noticed the difference. But saying that I already had a good ollie. The board didnt magically make it happen. The new board will have more pop, better shape and grip, so it may assist you, but really it is still up to y ou to just get lots of practice.

For someone starting off skating, the ollie is such a forgien concept (to make the board jump with the feet even though it isnt attached in anyway) and often takes quite a while to get a grasp of it and learn to control it.
you can keep practicing it stationary untill you feel you can get it nearly every shot. Evey doing it on grass or carpet is a good idea, as the board will not roll out on you, but you can learn the technique and feel of it safely. Even holding onto a chair/table/fence while do it so you can support your body, and really only have to think about the foot movements. Once you can nail it every time still on carpet, most the time on concrete, then take it to moving.
At the same time as doing this, just work on your rolling round. Get comfortable on your board and pushing. At first you may think you are pretty confident at that, but you will be suprised how much you can improve in this area.

Skateboarding isnt easy. It take a lot of time, practice and commitment. It may be frustrating and you feel like you are just stuck but keep jsut slogging away and things will start to come mate.

With regards to your front foot, when you say its landing backside too much, do you mean that it is landing on off the heal side of your deck too much? if this is the case, then you are probably opening up your body too much (facing too far forward). Get more side-on and squared with your board. this should help. Try to drag up straight towards the nose with your front foot