The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The link between Skateboarding & Snowboarding

Hey peeps
So how many people here Snowboard AND Skateboard?
It makes total sense to me (in theory) to do both since when u don’t have one you have the other. And lots of friends have told me that their skating has improved their snowboarding and vice versa.
I have been chasing the winter for almost 4 years now and even the short period between seasons drives me so nuts I HAVE to get on a skateboard to replace snowboarding. But I just can’t get into it :(
I grew up on the aggressive inline skating scene and always loved it, but a skateboard isn’t attached to my feet and feels so small compared to a snowboard, it just feels wrong (I’m almost 6 foot 5 but I have the biggest deck I could find)

I recently gave up on the idea and went back to blading. And it feels as awesome as it always has (I’m ready to get hated on for this, do your worst wood pushers raspberry )

So my next thought is if I grew up Blading then maybe I should have been a… skier? Oh HELL NO!
I ski from time to time, but there is no way I could ever replace boarding with skiing.
So I Inline in the summer and Snowboard in the winter… that’s just weird.

So how many people here Snowboard AND Skateboard? And what are your thoughts and feelings on it??

I owned skateys as a whipper snapper, but never really got into it.

Although I HAVE been toying with the idea of splurging on one these to ride over the summer. They look like a great way to shave a bit of skin off the elbows etc.

http://www.freebordaustralia.com/?gclid=COSG3LPY3KoCFYMlpAodfB6S8g

Just lucky that ya don’t ride a scooter, Andy!!!!!  gulp

Used to skate a lot when younger but got sick of hurting myself all the time. Plus I dont really like it that much!

Inline skate all you want! I couldn’t care less as long as your having fun! each to their own!

Tills - 20 August 2011 01:11 AM

I owned skateys as a whipper snapper, but never really got into it.

Although I HAVE been toying with the idea of splurging on one these to ride over the summer. They look like a great way to shave a bit of skin off the elbows etc.

http://www.freebordaustralia.com/?gclid=COSG3LPY3KoCFYMlpAodfB6S8g

Yeah Freebords are sick. I’ve had one for a year or 2 now. The downside to them is walking up hills all day (I only enjoy hiking for powder)
Also they are kinda awkward and unbalanced unless your ripping down a hill, skateparks are not so great though people definitely try.
Just make sure u wear a helmet, one of the young pros died recently from catching a heel edge gulp

Well I’ve never snowboarded or been in the snow…yeah sad I know :(

I only skateboard and have been doing it for a couple of weeks. :D
Those Freeboards look sick but I don’t think I’d have the balls to bomb huge hills and stuff. Snowboarding does look a bit easier than skating and it does look like if you fall off it would hurt less but looks can deceiving.

It’s true, snow hurts less than concrete and wood (usually). However this means that snowboarders have decided to make the jumps 10 times the size… so it all balances out lol
The DC mega ramp jump is pretty standard for most XL snow parks to have now. Crazy eh?

I skated every second I could from 12 years old to 18.
Slowed down lots after that, but the snowboarding increased heaps.

Still love a roll here and there. Long boarding is awesome just rolling along on a sunny day.

I have a freebord, amazing way to remove skin big surprise Wear full protective gear when riding one, helmet is a definite.

I wish I skateboarded more as a kid, maybe I should just man up and skate lots now cool grin

I have a skateboard and can go a decent speed and go left / right on it but can’t ollie or anything… doesn’t feel right.

I wear a helmet while snowboarding but not skating… Mainly cause I don’t do anything gnarley enough to chance hitting my head lol

tjswish - 20 August 2011 02:29 AM

Mainly cause I don’t do anything gnarley enough to chance hitting my head lol

One tiny little stone can sort you out in about a .25 of second wink

I have a skateboard and can go a decent speed and go left / right on it but can’t ollie or anything… doesn’t feel right.

Yeah it’s the ollie that I struggle with too. Transition feels okay to me but as soon as my feet have to move out of their stance I freak out. I can ollie over fences on a snowboard but can’t ollie up a gutter on a skateboard lol

Yea, i only snowboard as me and concrete don’t really work…

Azz - 20 August 2011 02:33 AM

Those damn pesky stones…Pretty embarrassing when it happens too :S

BKM - 20 August 2011 04:21 AM
Azz - 20 August 2011 02:33 AM

Those damn pesky stones…Pretty embarrassing when it happens too :S

Man I remember the last time that happened to me…
Skating fast down a road + 1 bastard stone + 2 pretty girls walking down the road = Blood, embarrassment and acting like it didn’t hurt teacherboy

Can’t really call this skateboarding but I have one and just use it just to go forward & turn in my house. The thought of falling on concrete makes me not wanna try tricks and stuff on a skateboard (I know I’m a pussy haha). I do like watching skateboarding thought like those in the x games (especially half pipe skateboarding).