The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Trick Tips With Mitch Faber

keanmiles - 01 February 2012 12:36 AM

hey i have got the pop shuv it thanks Mitch. but now whenever i attempt to kick flip it does a 180 flip. plzzz help:(

hi mate.
this is a very very common thing when learning flips.
the problem is you need to try and stop twisting your shoulders as you jump in the air.
also try to control your flipping foot not to hard on the edge and not to soft.
try to hold onto something with your hands so that you do not move in the air.
just work at it.
good luck

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7V5b6tFgJQ&context=C3ddd67eADOEgsToPDskJc2sXPluaM5Ui_EyTECfKV[/youtube]

Hey guys.

I thought you could help me do some kickflips. This is my youtube vid, my kickflips are usually better than this but thats all i got.

Usually I get then but cant get the back foot on.

please help me

thanks.

Hey i cant stop scooping but i don’t know what to do. And i have tried bringing my back foot up but it wont work.

keanmiles - 09 February 2012 09:05 AM

Hey i cant stop scooping but i don’t know what to do. And i have tried bringing my back foot up but it wont work.

i like your commitment to wanting to learn this trick.
okay you need to try and jump straight up above your board not of the back or the side.
straight up…as you go up you need to kick straight forward with a slight curl to the edge.

remember this trick needs to be done in sections not all at once.
1 pop
2 foot slide
3 wait for rotation
4 catch with back foot
5 land roll away.

if your flipping before it pops your board will go to the side or do a 180!

good luck

thanks mitch you have to be one of my favourite roll models. thanks.

After watching that video I can see you’re doing a few things wrong, first, it doesn’t look as though you are commiting or going for the land, second, you’re flicking your front foot like a varial flip (forward) you need to flick off the heel side of the nose on an outward angle, and third, as Mitch said, you need to jump high and let your board pop before the flick smile

thanks for the advice. smile

Hey i have gotten so annoyed with the kickflip that I’m going to try a different trick for now.

The trick i’m trying is the FS 180 and when ever i do it my board does a pop shuvit and i don’t move properly. Could anyone please help i’m getting so frustrated.

Hey keanmiles, how solid are your ollies? I’d probably take a step back and really work on getting your ollies and nollies super solid with lots of pop and control. It will most likely help with all the tricks you’re trying to do. Have you watched our trick tip for the frontside 180?

yes i have watched them and i have really good ollies and i cant get any trick except pop shuv and ollie

Theres definitely something wrong with your pop if your always making the board spin. Make sure your foot is on the center of the tail and your popping down.

Hey keanmiles, first thing I want to ask. Is that a mini deck you are current on? How tall are you?
Do you have some footage of your ollies? You look like your back foot is really far down on the tail. With the back foot it needs to be in the centre of the tail, both length and sideways.

hey no its a full size deck 7.75 . i am 5.10 and yes i will put them up soon but there is footage on the vid before the last one.

keanmiles - 11 February 2012 10:41 AM

Hey i have gotten so annoyed with the kickflip that I’m going to try a different trick for now.

The trick i’m trying is the FS 180 and when ever i do it my board does a pop shuvit and i don’t move properly. Could anyone please help i’m getting so frustrated.

when ever your board comes of your feet there is one main direct reason!!!
its because your ollie is not 100% popped into your feet.

the ollie is the blueprint for every trick.
with out a good snapped ollie you will always loose control of the board under your feet.
1st get a perfect ollie
2nd start to twist your shoulders when your popping this will take the ollie into a 180.

work on this…
than you will build board control..
good luck

Hey Mitch,
I’ve been skating for half a year, and I believed I was going pretty well.
I managed to learn how to ollie down a 2 stair and a 3 stair, and could do a good range of tricks.
However, in February, I had a bad fall and scraped my hands and my legs to bits.
I lost my confidence, and now I have got most of it back, but I’m still scared to do stair sets again.
Do you think you could help me out?
Thanks