The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread - Information and Advice

ayeshaje - 01 July 2013 10:14 PM

Yep on the list for us this week to get our resumes done Canadian style and start sending off!

Yeah likely still a month or 2 till we can start applying. You’re like me… super keen to get something sorted, it just seems they aren’t ready for applications yet.

The Criminal record check I applied for on Wednesday last week and was here on Monday. 6-8 weeks my ass!

TJswish - 02 July 2013 12:44 AM
ayeshaje - 01 July 2013 10:14 PM

Yep on the list for us this week to get our resumes done Canadian style and start sending off!

Yeah likely still a month or 2 till we can start applying. You’re like me… super keen to get something sorted, it just seems they aren’t ready for applications yet.

The Criminal record check I applied for on Wednesday last week and was here on Monday. 6-8 weeks my ass!

Yeah i think they just do that to scare people to get their stuff done, because both the visa and police check took legit like 10 days.

My visa is only valid for one year though, is that the case for anyone else? I mean i thought it was 2 years but i guess i was wrong.

Also: TJ i was in St leonards and wollstonecraft today LOL

Haha, I live in Greenwich. Should meet up sometime and discuss smile

On that note, I got my conditional acceptance Canadian Visa today smile

Congrats bro.

From Steve who has worked 2 seasons in Sun Peaks:

Hey bud ive done the last 2 seasons at sun peaks and will be heading there again this season, I love it there. Smaller more local mountain than that compared to whistler and the like. However still has a lot of major terrain, everything from powder, to trees, terrain park, groomers. The hill is fairly big so it is always easy to find fresh lines if you are willing to look for them. Easy to get a job, lots of housing. What kind of work are you looking for? What’s your level of riding? If you have any questions I’ll try and answer

And

Hey man. My names Steve. I’m 25. From Melbourne originally, up in Townsville right now. Working at mt buller this season so should be starting in the next few days. All the lifty, ticketer, remtal jobs pay 10.25 an hour which isn’t great but you get a free seasons pass( valued around $1000). My first season I worked for the ski school, which meant I worked at a desk and sold lift tickets and lesson packages and stuff. It was okay. But I worked 5 days a week and didn’t get to ride as much as I wanted.

Last year I got a job at the delta hotel(biggest hotel on the mountain). I worked in housekeeping and worked mostly nights which meant I got to ride almost every day. Much better Job. Pay started at 12.28 but got up to 15 by the end of the season. Much better job. But I had to buy my own season pass.

I’m going to work for the hotel again this season hoping I can get into the kitchen though.

Housing. First year I lived in staff accom, it was alright. Not great, not horrible. Got to meet people and they have a lot of parties over there. No Internet or tv though I think 475 per month Last season I moved into a house with some friends on burfield drive. 10000 times better. Full house, double bed, full cable, Internet, fireplace. 500 a month. Google rental housing and you’ll find something much easier.

Yeah cool sound a similar riding level to me. Parks not bad, good tree runs, quiet if you know where to ride.
I don’t think there would be any issues with dreadlocks. If you want to be a lifty they were beanies anyway and most of them look like scum bags. Bunch of good guys though. And you can usually get a few runs in a week, not my kind of job though. It’s cold as fuck all the time.

Any other questions go nuts man

Steve

ilolwhat - 02 July 2013 01:04 AM

My visa is only valid for one year though, is that the case for anyone else? I mean i thought it was 2 years but i guess i was wrong.

I don’t know which visa you have applied for but my Canada working visa is valid for two years..

ilolwhat.

Maybe you have 12 months to activate it (ie enter the country before the ‘offer’ expires)??

Once it is activated the actual visa is for 2 years?

Can anyone shed some light on doing instructor qualifications whilst over there?
I haven’t looked into it properly yet but assume its a few hundred dollars for a few days and they run them a couple of times in the season.
I dont intend on working as an instructor this season but it would be cool to get the certs. sorted if possible.

That’s not a bad idea… If there is a course for the certs, I might just front up the cost and do it anyway. Wouldn’t be too hard to get a level 1.

Yeah worth looking into for sure.

Anyone on here done it in Whistler?

TJswish - 02 July 2013 03:33 PM

That’s not a bad idea… If there is a course for the certs, I might just front up the cost and do it anyway. Wouldn’t be too hard to get a level 1.

Yep - biggest regret was not doing my Level 1 the first season I did.. held much more cloat back in Aus too!

YEah there are a few people who have done it here… I woudl page them if we could do that..

Blackbanana did it this past season it think, previous season Skip,Andy, and Rider and Dan ... heaps of them.

ETA: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/5210/

i rarely look at this thread because thoughts of depression and quitting my job come with haste when i do, just sayin

funnily enough thoughts of depression and quiting my job are the reason i am going to canada and hence look at this thread

DylanV - 02 July 2013 05:11 PM

i rarely look at this thread because thoughts of depression and quitting my job come with haste when i do, just sayin

Patience Grasshopper!