The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread - Information and Advice

900steve - 02 July 2013 06:13 PM

funnily enough thoughts of depression and quiting my job are the reason i am going to canada and hence look at this thread

Yeah but Dylan can’t till he finishes his apprenticeship or he gets royally screwed. Much easier to come back to real life afterwards with a done apprenticeship than 2-3 out of 4 years…

fair enough - thats why it is taken me ‘til now before getting organised to do a season!

I’ve done one… but Canada will be a whole different kettle of fish.

And I’ll be doing it properly this time, not trying to be smart and instead having a less than awesome time. (Not to say it wasn’t good, but it could have been better)

What do mean by that?

Ignore him Joy!!!

He will be doing his canada in style (not ski bum style…)

And his Jindy stint was crap cause he didn’t work for the resort…

Didn’t realise he though he was smart by working in Jindy… LOL

I cant wait for the ski bum life style shaka

Yeah Joy, as Oz has said above. I worked in Jindy as a reservations consultant for a 3rd party company. There was about 15-20 people working there but most of those were locals who didn’t go to the actual hill.

I ended up with only a few really good friends (1 of which I still keep in touch with) and had more than a few days of riding alone on the mountain because we all had different days off.

I also lived in East Jindy which was a rookie mistake since I couldn’t go out and have a night out because I had to drive home.

It all sounded like a really good plan when I decided to do it. I had accommodation sorted, I was working indoors, close to home and doing easy work. I also got 3 days off a week to be up the mountain and I was getting paid over $20 an hour.

——————————————-

My plan this time is to do it the way I should have. Be a lifty, live near staff accom / the pub / on the hill and if I have to waste some savings I will. I plan to meet people and go to things and just roll with the punches smile.

oh yeah dude that sounds pretty average. Location trumps all which is why I’m so keen on getting a job with WB mountain and getting in staff accomodation. smile

i dont know if ive already mentioned but i did some digging and found flights from syd to vanc for around 860 one way. if anyones got better or wants some details pm me.

860 is the cheapest I’ve found but 30+ hours with Air China doesn’t sound too good.

So +$60 and Air Canada on a 14h flight I think is worth it… However they are in the Air NZ frequent flyers… hopefully one of Qantas’ partners gets closer to that price / direct / speed soon.

http://www.orbitz.com/ is one of the best sites I’ve found to use.

——————————————-

Meanwhile, has anyone done part 2 of the Canadian Visa? It’s confusing as all hell.

I’m pretty sure I got everything. Just need to download and take it in. Fingers crossed, I can always ask people if I need to smile

I’ve done the whole lot, let me know if you need a hand, part 2 is a bit painful!

I did the questionnaire and downloaded the 2 forms I need to fill out. Do I need to submit them anywhere or just take them with me when entering Canada?

Everything gets uploaded onto mycic and lodged online they send you an email saying congrats on being successful and that’s the letter you take to Canada..

Ok, I think I hate mycic.

I guess I might try to get it done tonight or Monday after our holiday… Also need to do my tax some time soon…

Wilmshurst - 04 July 2013 01:01 PM

Everything gets uploaded onto mycic and lodged online they send you an email saying congrats on being successful and that’s the letter you take to Canada..

Mine came back after uploading the forms requesting police and traffic history reports (which i had already sent in and uploaded) so had to do that again then wait.. and wait.. and wait.. then I got my LOI!

Make sure you fill in those forms online, they don’t accept scanned in copies :/

mycic is the worst. just try to fill them all out as much as you can and make sure you’ve got everything and i didn’t have any problems smile