The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread - Information and Advice

ozgirl - 30 June 2013 05:23 PM

(doh you have seen this thread!)

I like this plan!

TJ might end up at big white. So if you rent a place you may have a roomie already (he is relatively normal wink

Relatively?

Maybe… wink

p.s. photo is about 3 years old now… I am housebroken, can cook a bit and will clean up after myself.

Haha! My boyfriend and I are coming over together and he’s got dreds (not quite that extreme..) so that doesn’t scare me off lol! I looked at what you’d put for each resort and had only ruled out Fernie and Revelstoke…hm maybe I should review again

Ummmm yeah may have to get rid of the dreads for whistler :-(

(not you TJ I know yours are gone).

Unfortunately Whistler have banned then as part of their uniform policy.

Really? That’s extreme. Is that just for working for the mountain? His dreads are short and the back of his hair actually isn’t dreaded lol but obviously not going to be accepted in Whistler….smaller mountain it is then!

Yeah Revelstoke just seems like it’s a trek to get too and from the mountain and only has minimal ways down the mountain (similar to why I’m shying away from Panorama)

Fernie on the other hand seems a shorter distance to/from (and with a few people / cheap car, that could be even easier), has lots of terrain including a lot of runs for beginners at the bottom and cheaper accom as you get a share house over staff accom. My biggest downside is their crappy website (i’m in IT) and remote location (3.5 hours from Calgary). Though if you got a car, this would be a once off.

There are numerous gateway airports for Fernie Alpine Resort. The closest airport, Cranbrook (Canadian Rockies International airport – 1:15 hours away) has direct flights with Delta from Salt Lake City, as well as regional flights with Air Canada Jazz from Vancouver and Calgary.

Calgary International Airport is 3.5 hours away, whilst the Glacier International Airport in Kalispell Montana is only 2 hours away. Spokane airport in Washington is another option (4 hours away), particularly if you’re visiting Red Mountain or any of the cat skiing near Nelson. Use one of our recommended flight search engines to compare flights into any of these airports.

Obviously the cost of flights is a major factor in deciding which airport to fly into, but you should also consider the costs of car hire. Depending on the currency exchange, hiring a car in the US is generally more expensive than in Canada.

- From http://www.powderhounds.com/Canada/Fernie/Getting-There.aspx

Well this pretty much killed any Fernie ideas for me…

Terrain Park
Safety is the priority at Fernie so experienced shredders may get rather bored with the terrain park. Fernie Alpine Resort no longer has a half pipe or jumps, only boxes and rails. The lackluster terrain park is accessed via a manned gate, and all park riders have to purchase a specific park pass and sign a waiver. The physiotherapists in town must be somewhat disappointed with the lack of business being produced in the terrain park!

ayeshaje - 30 June 2013 06:00 PM

Really? That’s extreme. Is that just for working for the mountain? His dreads are short and the back of his hair actually isn’t dreaded lol but obviously not going to be accepted in Whistler….smaller mountain it is then!

Yeah its a new policy for WB staff… not sure of the exact rules but there was a bit of a frucas last season because of it.

Maybe short dreads are okay… but yeah I would check.

Yeh I’m not leaning towards Fernie…will sort the hair situation out when it gets to it lol

I wish I could start applying for jobs. The more I look at Sun Peaks, the more I like it!

I really am getting excited for the prospect of working in Canada this year smile

Totally. If anyone wants to trade resumes for editting purposes hit me up.

Also I’m thinking of making a canada work travel blog with tips and tricks I learn as I’m over there, some funny anecdotes and maybe edit some video footage together. Taking submissions for working titles?  cheese

Hi Joy,

A shared blog with other BW travellers could be a plan. Have a different page for Whistler / Wherever I am / Others etc.

And make sure you post them in the relevant threads on BW to allow people here to enjoy the stoke as well smile

joy89 - 01 July 2013 02:53 PM

Totally. If anyone wants to trade resumes for editting purposes hit me up.

I would definitely be keen to trade resumes, mine is a bit dodgy because i tried to fit on 2 pages so i have information in a bad order to make it all fit.

I’ll PM you

Also TJ, that hair was insane!!

I am happy for anyone to send there CV to me. I have done 3 season and a bit of hospitality work.

I still need to do my resume for the snow. Get rid of a lot of the IT information and condense it and then add my other snow season back in so they know I plan to stay the WHOLE season.

ilolwhat - 01 July 2013 06:47 PM

Also TJ, that hair was insane!!

Yeah that was the night I got it done, he wanted a photo cause it was a good job. I thought it looked mad.

Here is one from once it went to normal dread looking. (with my little sister)

I also got my police certificate back today smile

Looks like i’m good in this category

Yep on the list for us this week to get our resumes done Canadian style and start sending off!