The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

surviving summer without snowboarding

Lately having massive withdrawls from snow, and need some ideas of some stuff to do that will aid in progression when i get back on the snow in 2011. Was thinking of picking up skating to help my balance and hopefully improve confidence? any other suggestions, and will skating help as much as people think?

cheers

avolk91 - 13 October 2010 09:31 AM

Lately having massive withdrawls from snow, and need some ideas of some stuff to do that will aid in progression when i get back on the snow in 2011. Was thinking of picking up skating to help my balance and hopefully improve confidence? any other suggestions, and will skating help as much as people think?

cheers

Hi- no idea how to post previous links, but you might find a lot of useful info in the “Are you training for the upcoming snow season?” section in the Health and Fitness area. I found some of the comments people made really helpfull anyways

Hey avolk91,

This is the thread snowdragon is talking about: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/664/

Where do you live? Is surfing an option?

Last summer was the first whole summer I spent in Australia in a long time, so I understand what you’re going through. For me it was a great chance to get back into surfing. I was in the water nearly every day and for the most part it kept me sane. Australia is great in the summer, take advantage of what we have on offer.

I’m not a very good skater myself but I do believe skating helps with snowboarding quite a bit. Skaters always seem to be really technical on their snowboards and they have great style. Transition skating is helpful for snowboarding too.

thanks guys for all your help smile decent surf is at least an hour away so not too bad and i’ll be spending about a month away in queensland and thailand so hopefully get to surf there as well

gymnastics, skateboarding and if you have access surfing will lead to unreal snowboarding even if you rarely ever get on snow. all these three are way harder than snowboarding and give you skills and fitness that are super relevant to snowboarding.

i supppose working lots and saving money so you can ride more in the winter fits into the same category too….......

SDS sucks :(

i’ve been in the same boat a little bit (compounded by the fact i spent most of last season out with a badly broken/dislocated/ruptured tendony ankle) so i went and built myself a balance board out of an old skate deck. something to do on rainy days/when you’re bored watching tv or whatever. its helped me with my rehab a lot (especially range of movement) and strength, not to mention balance.

there are some guides on http://www.instructables.com but really all you need is something round to roll on (2l bottle filled with water/sand and taped up with gaff tape), a skate deck and (optional) 2 chunks of 2by4 to stop the board flying off the end of your roller.

i turned mine it into a project to keep me occupied on a boring waiting-for-winter day and designed it up. planning on making a proper roller out of pvc piping and rubber pipe couplings to give the board a bit of grip on the roller.

Saw ya first post in another thread too wurcker!!!!!

Welcome to Boardworld dude!!!!!  cool grin

Give the crew an intro here > https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/5/P330/#68958 (Only if ya feel like it!!!!! No peer Group Pressure around here!!!!)