The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Mobile Phones

blizzard_22 - 10 March 2015 09:06 PM

I’ve come to the end of my contract but probably won’t upgrade my phone. I have an iPhone5 but I hate how big phones are getting!

yea there are always pros and cons, my contract ended 6months ago, thi thread has been great info smile

grunge - 10 March 2015 08:45 PM

Nice one TJ, I’d have looked very closely at a oneplus one.

I think there’s a rumor that a two is coming out but it may be fake.

It’s coming… but it’s at least 6 months away.

I can’t deal with a cracked screen for 6 months only for them to not sell in Aus and there are no re-sellers yet…

TJswish - 10 March 2015 07:29 PM

Purchased the 64gb OnePlus One.

Had to buy it through a re-seller. Should have it by the end of the week or early next week. Will review when I can.

Hey TJ, any updates on the phone mate?

My contract is up and i’m going through the options….still undecided though…

was looking into this as well as a couple you have listed - http://www.stuff.tv/htc/one-m9/review

Ok, I was trying to hold off a bit so I had a week or so to fully review it. but I’ve had it since Monday which is a reasonable amount of time.

First off, it is fantastic. I definitely think it’s better than my Nexus and for $500 is as good as / if not better than the Samsungs / HTCs / LGs for >$800

Pros:
1. Battery life is amazing. I can easily get 48 hours out of it if I don’t play any games or watch videos etc. And under medium to heavy use, it still has 40% or more at the end of the day as I get into bed where as my Nexus 5 would have been practically dead (or <10%) when I get home from work at 5:30 from the same use.
2. The buttons are solid and in a decent spot. I don’t have the biggest hands and the buttons are nicely placed for me.
3. The touch screen is responsive and all the apps etc are responsive. It’s clear that it has top notch hardware in it.
4. It’s super customizable. If there is something you don’t like, it’s easy to change it in the settings.
5. The sound is amazing compared to my nexus.

Neutral:
1. The back of the phone is like sand paper. It’s not annoying per say but it takes some getting used to.
2. The phone is big. It takes some time getting used to the size and isn’t exactly great in 1 hand like the Nexus was. You quite often need 2 hands to use it. Anything over that 5.5” is going to be a pain in the ass I think (personally).
3. Some of the customizations require a quick google to find where they are.
4. You really do need to customize away the crap before it’s decent.
4.1 This includes turning off the shortcuts to turn on the torch / music / camera as described in #4 on this list: http://cornerplay.com/2014/08/05/cyanogenmod-oneplusone-changes/
(This is because they randomly activate in your pocket and will drain battery / be super awkward when your music starts playing in a meeting.)
5. You can’t buy it. You need to get it from a reseller cause they don’t sell in Australia. I went with http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/ and the speed was decent and it was boxed well.
6. If there was another 5” phone I preferred, I think I’d like that size better. But this is me.

Negatives:
1. It’s a LED screen, not AMOLED. Not as bright and crisp. (I run on dull anyway so I’m not fussy)
2. Google maps is not the same version as the one on the Nexus. It is an american version that doesn’t tell you street names etc, just “turn left in 500m” then “turn left” which sent me round in circles through Newtown. Since then I have downloaded “HERE” from Nokia which seems to be a vast improvement to GMaps on the O+O
3. The notification light keeps re-enabling itself. Not sure why but I have already disabled it 5+ times and it keeps coming back on. I don’t need no crackberry light.
4. There is no Australian Charger. I’m still using my nexus charger cause I don’t want to use the adapter. Though the USB cable that comes with it is super cool looking.

Overall: I really like it and have customized it to make it work like it should. It comes at a great price for the specs and is much better than similar phones at the same price (Nexus 5).

But, if you gave it to my parents, they’d throw it out a window and not try to customize it. If you have the patience to get through the first few days and fix all the annoyances, it’s worth it.

If I diverted from crackberry I would get thee Sony xperia. I quite often play with the boys and like it.

Blizz it is small which is why the boy got it.

That’s an excellent review TJ. Thanks for writing it.
I normally struggle to read them (get bored) I enjoyed that read even with no interest in purchasing that product. smile

Any one got an iphone 6 plus??

Thinking of getting it… Love the big screen!

Dyldo has that issue with the music randomly playing.

surferguy56 - 21 March 2015 10:42 AM

Yes, love it.
Same OS as every other iphone, so you know all about that.

I wear tradie pants with the big pockets on the leg, so no problems carrying it. It’s a bugger if I am wearing jeans though.

Azz - 22 March 2015 08:37 AM
surferguy56 - 21 March 2015 10:42 AM

Yes, love it.
Same OS as every other iphone, so you know all about that.

I wear tradie pants with the big pockets on the leg, so no problems carrying it. It’s a bugger if I am wearing jeans though.

Sweeet

Do you have a case for it Azz?? If so what one? I had my eye on the lifeproof nuud but heard they’re not very good??

I’d definitely go a hard case on the 6+. There are stories of it bending while in pockets… A hard case would prevent that.

I kinda need a water proof one as i work around water every day.

I just have a $4.95 inc postage eBay special that holds my licences and cards as well.

If you google the stats on the iPhone 6+ bend, you’ll find its haters hating, just bullshit being pushed for whatever the wankers do it for smile

Mind you, my last iPhone died from a wee swim in the pond….....  red face

I have seen 2 bent ones here in whis from tourists skiiing with them in their pockets.

I giggled LOL

ozgirl - 20 March 2015 10:12 PM

If I diverted from crackberry I would get thee Sony xperia. I quite often play with the boys and like it.

Blizz it is small which is why the boy got it.

Dammit I should of had a look yesterday! I will have a look in store when I’m near one, thanks!