The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Ass Armor - Impact Shorts - Opinions Needed! 

Hey guys,

While I was at SIA in Denver, I came across a really great brand which, in my opinion, make the best impact shorts for snowboarding on the market. I have sold many impact shorts over the years and I’ve never been too impressed with the design, materials, and construction. However, I was super impressed by Ass Armor.

I am considering bringing them into Australia to sell through our store this winter. They aren’t cheap but you really do get a quality product. It will take a bit of a commitment on my part to get them here, so I’m trying to gauge your honest interest in this product.

They would probably sell for $119.95 (but members would get a discount and free shipping). Most other impact shorts I’ve sold over the year have sold for about $100, give or take $10 or $20 either side. That said, I honestly believe these are the best impact shorts I’ve ever come across. I have tested them personally and can vouch for the quality and comfort.

I would also be willing to give it cheaper on pre-order if we can get some commitments from you guys ahead of time. Anyway, honest thoughts as always. I’m about 50/50 on this right now and as always, your opinion makes a big difference.

Thanks in advance.

Ass Armor™ was pioneered in 2013 from an essential necessity to protect one’s “assets.” Finding freedom on the slopes of Aspen, Founder & President, Casey Scherr was a novice snowboarder who (like most early boarders) couldn’t keep her cheeks off the Rockies. When the snowboarding injury rate is almost double of skiing and a quarter of all injuries occur to first-time riders – the market was ripe for resolution.

After a fruitless quest to find true protection at any board shop or online retailer, Scherr decided to take matters into her own hands. Armed with the knowledge of all other foam and plastic product failures, she turned to D3O® – a groundbreaking impact protection solutions company based in the UK. This market changing technology is used to produce a shock absorbing material that can be found in a range of products worldwide including SixSixOne mountain bike knee pads, All-Star baseball gear, Schutt Sports helmets, as well as blunt impact trauma protection for law enforcement and military.

The revolutionary Ass Armor™ provides the most innovative and aggressive tailbone protection short on the market. Scherr’s creation provides adrenaline junkies, no matter the skill level, the confidence to check their inhibitions and take on any adventure without the prevailing fear of busting their backside.

I think it’s a great idea, when I was a beginner I would have used these - and people who are pushing themselves to their limits wouldn’t go amiss to have extra protection.

Worth mentioning, on the inside where the protection is… it’s super soft and comfortable… like a dense memory foam. More info: http://assarmor.com/the-facts/

Ass Armor™ provides the most innovative and aggressive tailbone protection short on the market. It widely outperforms traditional foam based materials by 67% despite being 40% thinner.

Transmitted Force (kN) *

Thickness (mm)

* Lower transmitted force represents better protection.

Ass Armor™is a unisex dry-fit stretch knit short. Constructed with minimal seaming to avoid any extra tightness or chafing, it has a separate elastic waistband for snug comfort. The cool-handed fabrication is designed to wick away moisture and maintain a breathable feeling under layers of gear.

The bespoke D3O® smart impact protection is 6mm of a pre-curved composite material, D3O® XT, comprised of polymers and dilatant fluid. It is temperature stable and offers high performance impact protection. While the additional thin layer of comfort padding further eases shock at the coccyx, the flexible tough shell is puncture resistant.

Any idea on price? Compression shorts are great for riding in anyway and it wouldn’t hurt to have some protection if it’s not insanely priced.

TJswish - 07 March 2015 11:59 AM

Any idea on price? Compression shorts are great for riding in anyway and it wouldn’t hurt to have some protection if it’s not insanely priced.

*cough* original post *cough*

I’d be interested, yes, and I’m pretty sure one of my mates who is not on here would as well, we’ve both vowed to ride more park in the future (until it snows). Not interested enough to pre-order right now but I do hate my current impact shorts, they’re fricken rubbish.Although the wife did kick me in the ass to test them out and it didn’t hurt….Anyway, my biggest concern would be sizing and returns policy as you can’t try them on. Are they sized like normal shorts or are their 3 sizes that are meant to cover all? If you know what you want bindings and boards are a no-brainer online but clothing presents some more challenges….

unremarkable - 08 March 2015 08:28 AM

I’d be interested, yes, and I’m pretty sure one of my mates who is not on here would as well, we’ve both vowed to ride more park in the future (until it snows). Not interested enough to pre-order right now but I do hate my current impact shorts, they’re fricken rubbish.Although the wife did kick me in the ass to test them out and it didn’t hurt….Anyway, my biggest concern would be sizing and returns policy as you can’t try them on. Are they sized like normal shorts or are their 3 sizes that are meant to cover all? If you know what you want bindings and boards are a no-brainer online but clothing presents some more challenges….

Just on this. I’m still working out the details but we will definitely have some sort of returns policy in place… i.e. 30 day returns. The sizing on these impact shorts run something like XS - XXL with all sizes in between. They fit pretty true to size.

Hey mate, first time member here. Just wondering what’s the go with this ass armor? Are you still looking at selling these here in aus? I’m very interested smile

Welcome to Boardworld, Franchise! shaka

We are still considering it. Not 100% sure at this point. I will definitely let you know if we order them.

Thanks mate! Yeah please do, really interested. I checked on their website and it will cost $150 including delivery which is a bit much! Since you’ve worn these before, are they like a tight fit? Like skins but with the ass protection? smile

I think I’d get some.

I think I’d get some.

Franchise - 09 April 2015 04:04 PM

Thanks mate! Yeah please do, really interested. I checked on their website and it will cost $150 including delivery which is a bit much! Since you’ve worn these before, are they like a tight fit? Like skins but with the ass protection? smile

That’s correct. They fit snug.

Franchise - 09 April 2015 04:04 PM

Considering skins alone are about $100, $150 for skins with protection incorporated isn’t a bad deal…

It looks like we may be bringing them in. Stay tuned…