The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Mobile Phones

Ok, so I don’t know how but my Nexus 5 got smashed in my pocket and the screen replacement cost on one of these is practically the price of a new phone.

So I could use some suggestions. I’m not exactly rich right now but I hate having a broken phone so this jumps to the top of my “spendings” list.

1. I’m an android fan… so I’m not planning to consider iPhones, Windows Phones or Crackberries
2. Preferably cheaper but still high spec
3. 5-6”. Preferably closer to 5 than 6.
4. No Samsung as they add bloatware to their phones and their OS is terrible.

Current considerations are (in order of most likely):
1. OnePlus One: https://oneplus.net/

2. Another Nexus 5: http://www.google.com.au/nexus/5/

3. Suck it up and wait for a Asus Zenfone 2: http://www.asus.com/Phones/ZenFone_2_ZE551ML/

Reasoning:
OnePlus One: Newer / better hardware than the Nexus, seems stable, easier to mod the ROMs. But it’s harder to get and apparently Cyanogen still has bugs which can crash the phone. Next version is to be announced this year I think.
Nexus 5: Stock Android and I know it’s a good phone for the price. But it’s almost 2 years old and a new one will be announced anytime now. They announced a Nexus 6 but it’s too big and the $850+ price tag is way out of my budget.
Asus Zenfone: Recently released and will be available soon. First phone with 4gb ram and a nice interface. But has an Intel core so you’re stuck with their OS (which subsequently comes with Trend Fail Micro Anti Virus preinstalled) Has been prone to overheating when using graphics intensive programs like games or too much Internet. (which I can do sometimes…)

Anyone got thoughts?

I have a HTC One M8, best phone i have owned to date.

Changed over from iOS and never looked back.
Before i bought it i spent about a month looking at different phones, and in the end it came down to the Nexus, and the HTC.
Flipped a coin, and went with the HTC.

I think the only things on the nexus i liked better, was it has proxy charging, and i think the camera was slightly better.

I still have my iPhone 4s, and Samsung s4… been trying to think of something inventive to do with them… like getting a cheap sim, attaching it to some helium balloons and tracking them. dunno yet.

You should get one of these. The customer looks really happy. smirk

Probably the radio waves have fried his frontal lobe, and lobotomised him raspberry

still rocking a Nexus 5.  Love it apart from the STUPID PIDDLING 16GB RAM.

16GB storage, not RAM lol Mud

One Plus One!

Do it! They look like a great unit.

I’m going to look in to a One Plus One, Fairphone or a Jolla when I need a replacement.

Yeah I think thats my choice.

The Fairphone is more expensive and not as good, the Jolla is way too underpowered. Maybe they have new versions coming soon but OPO is still the best choice from my research.

^I have never heard of these brands. :/

But lol, i would love a phone with 16gb of RAM. :D
Would be awesome. haha.

Was a little bored… so here are all the phones I have owned, and their fates.

I am rocking a Xperia SP from sony and it’s pretty nice, gets the job done (my second xperia phone now), Sony mobiles in general seem pretty good, and seem to scale well as you go up the range, so no big surprises when you upgrade.

The Xperia Z3, seems like it’d suit your needs, plus more as it has:
a 5.2 inch screen at a resolution of 1080x1920
comes with 16/32 GB internal memory
up to a 128B micro SD is supported
Has 3GB Ram
and it’s waterproof which can come in handy
etc….
Full specs here:
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z3-6539.php

But! at the moment most slightly older models can do everything you need them to do, so for less money you could get a Z or a Z2 and still get a great phone for little money. The HTC one M8 was a superb phone brand new and still kills it today, so that’s also a good option.
I recommend writing a list of all the features you actually use/need and then look at some phones from 2013 onwards that have those features and see what you can find. you could save a lot of cash and still get the performance… I mean do phones really need the kind of processing power, ram etc.. that companies are cramming in… (Hint the answer is no, they just need to improve specs so they can sell more phones, claim to be the best phone and keep the cycle going)

I think you should go with One PlusOne

My mate has one and loves it, but couple of negative to points to mention
1)fact that it’s not 4G enabled as yet
2) they do not deliver to Aus as yet, so would have to have a mate ship it to you form US

Worthwhile looking into, also you need to be invited in order to be abel to purchase one, but i think they have a purchase window on Tuesday now

Purchased the 64gb OnePlus One.

Had to buy it through a re-seller. Should have it by the end of the week or early next week. Will review when I can.

TJswish - 10 March 2015 07:29 PM

Purchased the 64gb OnePlus One.

Had to buy it through a re-seller. Should have it by the end of the week or early next week. Will review when I can.

please do

Nice one TJ, I’d have looked very closely at a oneplus one.

I think there’s a rumor that a two is coming out but it may be fake.

TJswish - 10 March 2015 04:13 PM

16GB storage, not RAM lol Mud

NVRAM is still RAM!

I’ve come to the end of my contract but probably won’t upgrade my phone. I have an iPhone5 but I hate how big phones are getting!