The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Who doesn’t give a rats arse about team sports?

Not a fan of watching it, with some exceptions.  I’d be quite happy to play in a team, but who’s got time for that.

Azz - 29 April 2013 08:00 PM
Billy - 29 April 2013 07:48 PM

But even then I’m only eating Red Rooster and drinking full strength beer.  tongue wink

Tell me more about the Red Rooster and how is the wine list?

Oooh it’s a magical world in the members, Azz! Too bad I’m not allowed there anymore!!! raspberry

spaz - 29 April 2013 06:39 PM

World Cup = football (soccer).

I’m going to assume that by this, you meant that the World Cup you were specifically referring to was the ‘FIFA World Cup’, ‘Association Football World Cup’ or ‘Soccer World Cup’, NOT that ‘World Cup’ naturally equals the aforementioned - because, of course, that would be ridiculous (almost as ridiculous as the sport’s governing body insisting on referring to soccer as “football” in Australia).

I get the hate for sport due to the jocks and wankers that play but I pretty much support a team in every sport. I love to play sports and would happily spend a weekend at home watching games where my team doesn’t even play.

Guess I just enjoy it more than some of you guys.

It’s great with mates cheering and a BBQ and a few beers etc.

Love most team sports. played plenty at a high rep level (Highlight was a tour of NZ with the Academy of Sport for Union)

Ony got into AFL when i was living in Melbourne, love it now.

Rugby League was a big passion of mine but that has waned slightly. Have alot of mates who play in the NRL, and play rep footy. Nice enough blokes when i catch them alone. But as soon as they are with other footy players they turn into complete and utter twats. Hence why i dont associate with them any more.

Dont watch as much Union as i should but still keep tabs on it.

Sport i love the most for the last few years is Basketball, specifically NBA. Watch it as often as i get a chance and keep tabs on it via mobile apps/website every day.

Also highly enjoy NHL and NFL.

Yeah, it’s the attitudes of people who need to win too much that turns me away from team sports, not the sports themselves.
There are definitely champion athletes who can be the best all the time without becoming jerks. But again they are more common in individual sports.

I actually enjoy playing almost every sport I know of. And I still cheer for certain teams.

Snowboarding is my favourite though, because even if you are involved in a team of some sort, you are still an individual, and travel around forming and reforming different groups of your favourite people to ride with. I love that. It’s more like small nomadic groups within a community.

Andy Aitken - 29 April 2013 10:12 PM

Snowboarding is my favourite though . . .

Yep, I can’t think of a single other sport where, even at its highest level, participants are genuinely stoked to see their competitors beat them with a better run on the day - and simply be appreciative of the artistry and athleticism involved. You got it, Andy - it’s the “community” of snowboarding that makes it so awesome.

Snowboarders, skaters and surfers are much luckier to be able to enjoy what they do, and do it with people they want to be around.
When playing football i was good friends with the whole team and often played against friends which was also fun. But it did get a bit heated with some teams that wer’nt to pleasant to play against.
And AFL supporters are pretty bad i can see why some people might be driven awya by them. Especcially if you’ve only been to a collingwood game.

And you could consider motorsport team oriented if anyone follows F1’s then they can vouch for me with the whole Webber vs Vettel team orders and such

K2_TeacherBoy - 29 April 2013 07:18 PM

I’m not a fan of team sports. Mainly because of the jock factor that Andy mentioned and the way the “wankers” are idolised by society and media

In saying this, I did enjoy watching NHL whilst in Whistler. Love a good punch on haha

Yep, F1 is absolutely about the team.
I don’t buy into the manufacturer, fan based rivalry of Holden/Ford or Ferrari/whoever, I watch F1 because of the amazing machines and drivers, open wheel racing is something else!
Motor sports rock my boat.

This thread isn’t about playing team sport, it’s more about watching it.
I enjoy playing team sports, it’s something I excelled at. But don’t like watching.

Not the reason Oz (State Of Origin),
I enjoy S.O.O. because you have the best 26 athletes culled from a huge selection, playing the 3 toughest games of any team sport - it’s true gladiator warfare.
Put a few beers down me and I become part of the mob but generally I leave when the crowd gets rowdy.

chucky - 29 April 2013 10:44 PM
Andy Aitken - 29 April 2013 10:12 PM

Snowboarding is my favourite though . . .

Yep, I can’t think of a single other sport where, even at its highest level, participants are genuinely stoked to see their competitors beat them with a better run on the day - and simply be appreciative of the artistry and athleticism involved. You got it, Andy - it’s the “community” of snowboarding that makes it so awesome.

Surfing, surfing and surfing!
Even out in the line-up surfing with gnarly locals burning holes through your skull (outside of a competition). If you take off on a monster set wave, just having the courage to do it - you get hoots and screams.

The worlds most successful and competitively driven sportsperson (Kelly Slater), often shows genuine stoke when beaten.
Even during the most critical part of his carrer!  - Who remembers his pipe semi-final with Rob Machado?
His last words in this video say it all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rx5dY_0p2a8!

I’ve always enjoyed certain team sports (as a participant and a spectator).

I played soccer pretty much my entire life and I enjoy watching world-class games/leagues/tournaments. I watch the English Premier League and I love the World Cup, Champions League (towards the end), Euros etc.

Obviously I’m a big fan of the NBA. Always have been. Such an exciting league.

NHL is fun to watch. I don’t follow the league but always happy to watch a game.

I enjoy the odd Rugby League game. I used to be into it a lot more, but my passion has died in recent years. Still happy to watch a good game though. I love State of Origin.

So it looks like I should probably stay out of this thread and let you guys discuss why team sports suck. wink

rider26 - 30 April 2013 09:43 AM

I enjoy the odd Rugby League game. I used to be into it a lot more, but my passion has died in recent years. Still happy to watch a good game though. I love State of Origin.

Guessing you’re a roosters fan?

Hate the Roosters! Always been a Broncos fan but always support NSW in Origin (obviously).

Haha I figured being a Bondi boy, getting peticures and sipping lattes was something you do raspberry

At least you go for NSW. We always get a group at shark bar in the city to watch it. $3 beers and a big screen smile